or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mountain Bikers SILENT about Environmental Destruction in Their Backyard! - Page 4

post #46 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:50:27 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net>
wrote:

>"S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> It's well known that mountain biking is FAR more dangerous than
>>> hiking.
>>> ===

>> Well known by who...? This has been acknowledged by which official
>> agency...? Your claims mean NOTHING. Your statements about dangers of
>> off-road cycling mean NOTHING. As long as you are going to only post
>> cycling related injuries or deaths, while making a claim that it is
>> "inherently" dangerous compared to hiking, and COMPLETELY IGNORE
>> comparative information showing similar incidents of hiking, then your
>> statements mean NOTHING. They are ramblings based on your OPINION and only
>> highlight your bias of reporting, your methods of discovery of
>> information, and the lack of foundation for your conclusions.

>Nonsense, EVERYONE in the entire world KNOWS that mountain biking is far
>more dangerous than hiking. However, from my point of view, it is not
>dangerous enough. I would like to see mountain bikers killing themselves by
>the thousands going down steep rocky slopes. Hells Bells, I might even help
>them kill themselves by placing some obstacles on the trail for them to hit!
>Yea, the more dead mountain bikers, the better!

Luckily, their worst enemies are themselves. Evolution in action.

>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #47 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Sun, 28 May 2006 11:57:55 -0400, "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone else hear a gnat...?
>>>

>>> "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ...as opposed to junk science research which purports to show only that
>>> biking is more harmful than hiking....?
>>> Since you and MV are proclaiming the differences, it looks as if you are
>>> also the "fool" you reference.

>> Mountain bikers are into nothing but fun and games. Hikers are
>> philosophers who are into deep thinking about humankind and the universe.
>> They certainly do not belong on the same trails together.
>>

>Hmmm... A lot of the hikers I see are loud, walking all over the trail and
>off it, leaving trash behind, carrying and drinking alcohol, being careless
>about their own safety and others... Yep. Hikers are certainly the cream
>of the crop of humanity.
>Don't insult us with your wishful generalizations. You may venture out with
>that frame of mind, but do NOT place all hikers in that very small subset.
>And, by the same logic, you can not reference all off-road cyclists' motives
>based on either your opinion of the activity or the actions of a minority to
>which you may (or simply claim to) witness.

>>> So now the great "Conan the Librarian" is pleading....? I don't need
>>> Shakespeare to read a tragedy - I can do that by looking at Vandeman's
>>> webpage.

>>> At least it would be more entertaining than reading the one-word history
>>> of the impact of Dolan on the modern world. (Dolan=Null)
>>> No thanks - I believe I would rather ride and experience it first hand...

>> Personal experience is only worth so much. It has to be checked against
>> the experience of many others. Those who write books have generally
>> thought about a subject quite extensively. Do less riding and more writing
>> and maybe you will get clearer in your mind about what matters in this
>> world. I assure you that mountain biking matters hardly at all whereas
>> what the Great Ed Dolan thinks matters enormously.

>..and where is the published work of Ed Dolan? (I already know you are not
>"Edward F. Dolan".)
>
>Again... I think it is more advantageous I get out on the bike and see some
>trees.

Since when is it necessary to bring along a BIKE in order to see
trees??? In fact, having to pay attention to controlling a BIKE
interferes with your ability to look at trees -- if you were honest.

As far as what the "not so great ed dolan (Conan the Librarian)"
>thinks about anything...
>http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/im...3ta/donkey.jpg

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #48 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:01:09 -0400, "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net>
wrote:

>>>Nonsense, EVERYONE in the entire world KNOWS that mountain biking is far
>>>more dangerous than hiking. However, from my point of view, it is not
>>>dangerous enough. I would like to see mountain bikers killing themselves
>>>by
>>>the thousands going down steep rocky slopes. Hells Bells, I might even
>>>help
>>>them kill themselves by placing some obstacles on the trail for them to
>>>hit!
>>>Yea, the more dead mountain bikers, the better!

>> Luckily, their worst enemies are themselves. Evolution in action.
>>

>Thanks, Mike Vandeman, for again showing how you favor violence to solve a
>problem. (Duly noted and forever available as a Google Group search under
>"vandeman")

Where do you see me advocating voiolence? You are fabricating again.
What I REALLY said was "Luckily, their worst enemies are themselves.
Evolution in action." I don't see the world "violence" there....
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #49 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:48:43 -0400, "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 May 2006 11:57:55 -0400, "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net>

>>>..and where is the published work of Ed Dolan? (I already know you are not
>>>"Edward F. Dolan".)
>>>
>>>Again... I think it is more advantageous I get out on the bike and see
>>>some
>>>trees.

>> Since when is it necessary to bring along a BIKE in order to see
>> trees??? In fact, having to pay attention to controlling a BIKE
>> interferes with your ability to look at trees -- if you were honest.

>We've covered this - Your OPINION and lack of desire or ability is no
>measure of the abilities of someone else. I can control a bike and look at
>trees. Your lack of that ability, or desire to explore that ability, is
>MEANINGLESS.
>Since when is it necessary to use any type of tool to increase the
>effectiveness of an activity?

So you agree that it's not necessary to allow bikes off-road?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #50 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:46 -0400, "S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:48:43 -0400, "S Curtiss" <scurtiss@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>>We've covered this - Your OPINION and lack of desire or ability is no
>>>measure of the abilities of someone else. I can control a bike and look at
>>>trees. Your lack of that ability, or desire to explore that ability, is
>>>MEANINGLESS.
>>>Since when is it necessary to use any type of tool to increase the
>>>effectiveness of an activity?

>> So you agree that it's not necessary to allow bikes off-road?
>> ===

>Who said it was "necessary"...? Making something "necessary" (required, so
>to speak) is a far cry from making, or keeping, it legal as an option. Your
>insistence that it be banned simply because you do not choose to utilize it
>as a tool is not necessary, either. The off-road bicycle is a tool, just as
>a backpack or canteen is a tool. A loaded pack often weighs as much as a
>bicycle. You argue for banning one tool based on your OPINIONS, which have
>not been PROVEN to be anything but opinions. You scoff at other research,
>often conducted by accredited researchers, if it counters your OPINIONS than
>rally behind a battle of verbage and semantics when you get called on these
>opinions.
>What has been proven unnecessary are your writings, submissions and
>opinions. Road construction continues. Sprawl continues. Habitat destruction
>continues. And the ONLY thing you continue is to whine about bicycles...
>That is no longer pathetic... It is simply a waste.

Did you say something?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #51 of 61

newsdpr72l9spuapii24moru9i7ju0idq5tep@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:46 -0400, "S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> So you agree that it's not necessary to allow bikes off-road?
>>> ===

>>Who said it was "necessary"...? Making something "necessary"
>>(required, so to speak) is a far cry from making, or keeping, it legal
>>as an option. Your insistence that it be banned simply because you do
>>not choose to utilize it as a tool is not necessary, either. The
>>off-road bicycle is a tool, just as a backpack or canteen is a tool. A
>>loaded pack often weighs as much as a bicycle. You argue for banning
>>one tool based on your OPINIONS, which have not been PROVEN to be
>>anything but opinions. You scoff at other research, often conducted by
>>accredited researchers, if it counters your OPINIONS than rally behind
>>a battle of verbage and semantics when you get called on these
>>opinions. What has been proven unnecessary are your writings,
>>submissions and opinions. Road construction continues. Sprawl
>>continues. Habitat destruction continues. And the ONLY thing you
>>continue is to whine about bicycles... That is no longer pathetic...
>>It is simply a waste.

> Did you say something?

Yeah, he said you are wasting your time.

Has one off-road cyclist quit riding off road due to you posting your
opinions on this NG?? If so, please provide names, so that it can be
verified. If not, just proff that you are wasting your time.

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

post #52 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On 01 Jun 2006 13:46:13 GMT, Chris Foster
<john_foster_in_erie@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in
>newsdpr72l9spuapii24moru9i7ju0idq5tep@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:46 -0400, "S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Vandeman" <mjvande@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>>Who said it was "necessary"...? Making something "necessary"
>>>(required, so to speak) is a far cry from making, or keeping, it legal
>>>as an option. Your insistence that it be banned simply because you do
>>>not choose to utilize it as a tool is not necessary, either. The
>>>off-road bicycle is a tool, just as a backpack or canteen is a tool. A
>>>loaded pack often weighs as much as a bicycle. You argue for banning
>>>one tool based on your OPINIONS, which have not been PROVEN to be
>>>anything but opinions. You scoff at other research, often conducted by
>>>accredited researchers, if it counters your OPINIONS than rally behind
>>>a battle of verbage and semantics when you get called on these
>>>opinions. What has been proven unnecessary are your writings,
>>>submissions and opinions. Road construction continues. Sprawl
>>>continues. Habitat destruction continues. And the ONLY thing you
>>>continue is to whine about bicycles... That is no longer pathetic...
>>>It is simply a waste.

>> Did you say something?

>Yeah, he said you are wasting your time.
>
>Has one off-road cyclist quit riding off road due to you posting your
>opinions on this NG?? If so, please provide names, so that it can be
>verified. If not, just proff that you are wasting your time.

It's enough that I am educating all of you, even if you aren't smart
enough to know it.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #53 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:17:34 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net>
wrote:

>"S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote in message

>>> I have just never seen any slob hikers, whereas I have seen plenty of
>>> slob mountain bikers.

>> Then maybe its you... Perhaps you need a mirror.

>>> It is only industrious beavers like yourself who can work their way up to
>>> writing anything and getting it published. I am way too lazy for any such
>>> endeavors. I am like God that way, it is simply enough that I am.

>> You are... a waste of space? a blot on the floor? an ego with
>> constipation?

>>> Nope, I will never go to a link of yours because I do not trust you. But
>>> you enjoy looking at your pictures all you want. I shall continue to
>>> contemplate my navel as is my custom from my early childhood.

>> ...and all this time I thought you were a construct from A-51 that got
>> loose before being educated....

>Curtiss is a wonderful example of a cretin who thinks he knows something. I
>place him at the high school level, but a high schooler who has done a bit
>or reading on his own. However, that is not good enough for the kind of
>world we are living in today. He badly needs instruction by his superiors. I
>myself am far too lazy (my very best virtue) to bother with him. No, he will
>have to get on in this old world the best he can with what he's got. He will
>never go far, but maybe he can stay one or two steps ahead of all the
>Mexican peons that are pouring into the country.

I doubt it. I don't think he can even make a decent burrito or fight a
bull.

>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #54 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprisedby hate mail!

Edward Dolan wrote:
at least he finally joined the rest of
>>humanity and began using ">" as a quotation delineator. For YEARS he used
>>a plain dot "." which truly made his posts unreadable. (Perhaps a good
>>thing, of course.)

> I think the above is a function of the newsreader you are using and nothing
> else.

The character displayed at the start of each quoted line can be varied;
some newsreaders offer an impressive list of choices. As the above
poster tries to explain, some such characters do not lend themselves to
easy reading. Indeed, some of them even seem to muddy the quoted
material. This is further exacerbated in part to the habit of some
newsreaders' formatting which changes the original's number of
characters per line whle retaining nearly all other formatting. Any
resulting ASCII mishmash is truly undecipherable. While one has little
control overthe latter behavior, one can find a wide variety of markers
to indicate quoted material.

Beyond that, many posters for whatever reason will not snip the
irrelevant portions of the original; after three to seven levels of
reply, the resulting post is often beyond the ability of a middle-grade
cryptographer.

Pete H
post #55 of 61

Re: Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail!

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:06:46 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote in message

>>> Vandeman is the expert from the hiker's point of view. I have already
>>> told you that I do not give a good g.d. about the mountain biker's point
>>> of view.

>> And there is your breakdown, and his. No interest in balance, real
>> information or experience beyond your own narrow mind.

>You want to unbalance what was formerly in perfect balance - when trails
>were for hikers only.

>>> As long as you do not even THINK about biking in wilderness ...

>> As long as the designation is consistant and applied the same everywhere.

>So then, you are working to get more and more areas designated wilderness? I
>think not!

>>> All I am getting from you is that you want to be able to bike on all
>>> trails with the possible exception of trails in designated Wilderness
>>> Areas. That is not good enough for me any more than it is for Vandeman.
>>> You seem to be totally lacking in an appreciation of nature and scenic
>>> areas. There are innumerable trails outside of wilderness which are not
>>> suited for cyclists. Cyclists ruin such areas for walkers. Funny that you
>>> cannot see this.

>> People ruin it for other people. Inconsiderate, loud, rude, sloppy people
>> ruin it. And inconsiderate, loud, rude, sloppy people can be hiking,
>> riding a horse, riding a bike... Funny how you paint a rosy picture of
>> your group and disregard the same faults you apply as a broad brush for
>> off-road cyclists.

>The above has already been addressed many times by me and Vandeman in

>>> We all know how mountain bikers behave in the out of doors and it is not
>>> a pretty sight. Try to get some perspective and some philosophy if at all
>>> possible. Mental attitude is everything when it comes to a proper
>>> appreciation of natural and scenic areas. Only walkers have the right
>>> perspective. All others are wrongheaded and spawn of the Devil.

>> What an insipid and useless comment. Hikers are merely people. Everyone
>> chooses an activity or destination based on their own experience and past
>> choices. There is NOTHING saintly about it. If you want to make the
>> activity "special" to justify your opinion, then do so. But you can only
>> do so for your own being. You can not speak for any other hiker, cyclist
>> or person and their motives for doing anything.

>The above has already been addressed many times by me in previous messages.

>>> You are into asininity and I am into Saintliness. Never the twain shall
>>> meet.

>> You are no more a saint than I am a Koala.

>>> You will not find your humanity in mountain biking on my sacred hiking
>>> trails. That much is known for sure.

>> For sure, you have no clue what I would find.

>I recommend that you say 5 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Marys as your penance
>for being an unreconstructed slob mountain biker. The ruination of the
>wilderness is on your head. God will punish you for desecrating His

O, heck. EVERY Dolan post is my latest favorite. Your brilliance is
exceeded only by your humor.

>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #56 of 61

Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!

"One patient left the hospital against medical advice." That says it
all!

Mike

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:17:29 -0800
From: Normonster <normonster@gmail.com>
Subject: Mtn Biking & spinal injuries

Mountain Biking
Tied to Serious
Spinal Injuries
HA L I FAX, N. S. ­ Mountain biking
is a growing cause of serious spinal injuries,
often resulting in permanent disability,
Dr. Neilson McLean reported in
a poster at the 11th International Conference
on Emergency Medicine.
Dr. McLean, an emergency medicine
resident at the University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, retrospectively examined
the trauma and spine registries
of three Vancouver-area trauma centers
in 1994-2004. During that time, 399
patients were treated for injuries. Of
those, 52 sustained spinal injuries.
Most of the patients were male
(92%), and they had an average age of
33 years. Most (36) had been wearing a
helmet at the time of the accident.
The most common mechanism of injury
was a fall over the handlebars (29).
Their average injury severity score was
17. A total of 54% required surgery.
Most of the patients (71%) sustained
a severe spinal injury; 33% had a root
injury, 11% a central cord injury, 22%
an incomplete spinal cord injury, and
34% a complete spinal cord injury.
Upon discharge, 54% had a neurologic
deficit. A total of 32 patients were
discharged to home. However, 15 went
to a rehabilitation facility and 4 to an
acute care facility. One patient left the
hospital against medical advice.
­Michele G. Sullivan

** I had trouble sending the original in pdf format. If interested, I
can send this out from a different account. -Norm
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #57 of 61

Re: Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!

nospam@nospam.com top posted:

> Doctors and hosptials are stupid and shoule be ignored.

Class.
post #58 of 61

tracksterman1967@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> nospam@nospam.com top posted:
>
>> Doctors and hosptials are stupid and shoule be ignored.

> Class.

Dismissed?
post #59 of 61

Re: Being alive leads to death

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net>
wrote:

>Film at 11
>
>Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
>Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
>Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
>Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.
>
>Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?
>
>Tha answer is

Did you say something?

"NO".

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
post #60 of 61

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss" <stevecurtiss@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Film at 11
>>
>> Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
>> Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
>> Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
>> Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.
>>
>> Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?
>>
>> Tha answer is

> Did you say something?

Have you EVER said anything?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

How does it feel to be so ineffective for so long?

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine