or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

post #1 of 9
These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
lithium grease?
post #2 of 9

Re: Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I've had good luck using Tri-Flow on mine.
post #3 of 9

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

A little grease; it lasts longer than oil.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
post #4 of 9

Re: Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

grease stays put better than oil, but anything is better than nothing.
I just greased up the bushings on a Tiagra rear mech yesterday, it
improved the shifting muchly.
post #5 of 9

Josh Hassol wrote:
> Sammy Shuford wrote:
>
>>These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
>>lithium grease?

> I've had good luck using Tri-Flow on mine.

I second that motion. It has teflon in it that will leave a coating on
the lubricated parts.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

Re: Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

walmort auto or marine carries castrol marine wheel bearing grease ina
tube -scrape out with clean screwdriver or narow spatula
at the retail level, this stuff is ultra ne plus
do not not oil following greasing - self defeating - thins grease,
grease runs out - duh
post #7 of 9

Re: Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

Sammy Shuford says...

> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I use ProLink Gold. I dislike motor oil for drivetrain use because it
attracts too much dirt. But it is an ideal lubricant.
post #8 of 9

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

Grease , any grease. Not oil as this dribbles out over time. Remember,
grease is oil in 'soap', a way for the oil to stay put.
post #9 of 9

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I just lube mine with whatever I'm using on the chain every time I lube
the chain (which is either Phil's or Prolink).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment