or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

post #1 of 42
I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
weight

I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
like sugar make that change?

(FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
over last year.)

--
------
post #2 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

ha! I noticed the same thing yesterday too. Really irritating. I also noticed
a while back that the Breyers half gallon is now 1.75 quarts.

Sugar has gone up in price and so has flour.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"hob" <dehoberg@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price

PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.

rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost

100%
> over last year.)
>

> --
> ------

Well, I know for a fact that the sugar industry in Hawaii is slowly moving
to Costa Rica, Filippines, and Thailand. I'd say within 10 years, there
won't be anymore sugar produced in U.S. islands. Could that be affecting
part of the price?

kili
post #4 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

hob wrote:

> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity
> without any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars
> put out in new displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when
> did the "old standards" like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up
> almost 100% over last year.)

The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
by large donations to corrupt politicians. You may
pay double what you did last year, but people outside
the U.S. pay less than half for the same thing.

Quoting from this article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0408/p01s02-usec.htm

"Here in the US, consumers – including candymakers – pay
at least twice the world-market price. That's why
America's soft-drink makers long ago shifted from sugar
to corn syrup to sweeten their beverages.
Candymakers usually can't make that change,
especially in high-sugar-content hard candy."

Quoting from this article:

"Kraft Foods Inc. is closing the plant and moving its
operations to Canada, where sugar is half the price
and its work force will be nonunion. The move will
wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
an hour."
post #5 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

hob wrote:

> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

I started buying flour in larger sizes. A 5 kg. bag doesn't cost much more than
a 2 kg. bag, and a 10 kg. bag doesn't cost much more than a 5 kg. bag. I never
used to buy the larger bags because it seemed like I would have a lot more flour
on hand than I needed, but when I realized that it costs about half as much per
pound I was easily convinced.
post #6 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Mark Thorson wrote:

> The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> by large donations to corrupt politicians. You may
> pay double what you did last year, but people outside
> the U.S. pay less than half for the same thing.

It was the sugar business that was responsible for such gross
mismanagement of the Cuban economy that it was ripe for rebellion.

I think American consumers get ripped on a lot of things. I used to do
a lot of cross border shopping and when our dollar was worth about 25%
less most fruits and vegetables were the same price. At the time, a
head of lettuce was 99 cents. I could buy it at home for 99 cents or
cross the border and pay 99 cents US... $130 Cdn. CDs, computer
programs, jeans ... all the same price figure in Canada as they are in
the US.
post #7 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:57:57 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> by large donations to corrupt politicians.

You can blame the HFCS lobby for that. Not only Kraft, but many
candy makers have moved to Canada (LifeSavers, ie), putting
Americans out of work all to fatten the politicians pockets.
Somebody gimme a gun... I *HATE* politicians.

-sw
post #8 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

Just wait until you take a closer look at your favorite one-pound (or 2
pound or 3 pound) can of coffee!

Bob
post #9 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

In article <J4Sdnez3W-F5mMjZnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@comcast.com>,
"hob" <dehoberg@comcast.net> wrote:

> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

<cough> that 5# bag of sugar has weighed 4# for several years.
The two pound box of graham crackers doesn't weigh two pounds anymore,
either. OTOH, the 1# box doesn't weight a pound, either. Tricky price
increases.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-20-2006 with our visit

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> <cough> that 5# bag of sugar has weighed 4# for several years.
> The two pound box of graham crackers doesn't weigh two pounds anymore,
> either. OTOH, the 1# box doesn't weight a pound, either. Tricky price
> increases.

I do wish they'd make the packaging smaller just to use less resources.
I would appreciate carrying less home to dispose of, as well as less
waste in the environment.
post #11 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

In article <2qxb54x53b1w$.dlg@sqwertzwashere.com>,
swertz@cluemail.compost says...
> You can blame the HFCS lobby for that. Not only Kraft, but many
> candy makers have moved to Canada (LifeSavers, ie), putting
> Americans out of work all to fatten the politicians pockets.
> Somebody gimme a gun... I *HATE* politicians.

Don't be ridiculous. If a company moves it's to fatten their own
pockets. If you want to fume at anyone for plants moving out of the US
then at least figure out who is really to blame - greedy corporations.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

kilikini wrote:

> Well, I know for a fact that the sugar industry in Hawaii is slowly
> moving to Costa Rica, Filippines, and Thailand. I'd say within
> 10 years, there won't be anymore sugar produced in U.S. islands.
> Could that be affecting part of the price?
>
> kili

There will always be a large beet-sugar industry
in the U.S., as long as taxpayers are willing
to support it. It would disappear tomorrow
if it was forced to compete in international
markets against cane sugar, BUT THERE'S NO WAY
THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.
post #13 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:57:57 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> > by large donations to corrupt politicians.

> You can blame the HFCS lobby for that. Not only Kraft, but many
> candy makers have moved to Canada (LifeSavers, ie), putting
> Americans out of work all to fatten the politicians pockets.
> Somebody gimme a gun... I *HATE* politicians.

You can't blame the HFCS industry for creating
the sugar racket. They merely exploited the
price supports created by the sugar beet industry.
Essentially, HFCS is an end-run around the
sugar price supports, and now that it is an
established industy, they certainly don't want
to see the pricing regime change.
post #14 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Kraft Foods Inc. is closing the plant and moving its
> operations to Canada, where sugar is half the price
> and its work force will be nonunion. The move will
> wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
> an hour."

In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate ladder
will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.
post #15 of 42

Re: 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"djs0302@aol.com" wrote:

> In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate
> ladder will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.

Hey, if they advance the stock price,
why should any stockholder care?

It's like the recent fuss about the $400M
retirement package for the head of Exxon.

If that guy made $401M for Exxon that it
would not have had otherwise, he was worth
every penny. That's why I'm not bothered
by the money that sports and movie stars
make -- if one of them makes $10M extra
profits for CBS (or whomever), I'd be
in favor of him or her getting as much
of that $10M as possible.