or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Huffy Titanium 10 speed

post #1 of 13
Today whilst riding in to work, I had a brief chat with a fellow on a Huffy
Titanium 10 speed. I was surprised that Huffy ever made a Ti bike. The guy
who was riding it didn't know anything about it, and said, "Huffy? Is that a
good brand?" so he wasn't the source of info about the bike he was on.

I did a quick look on google, and it turns out that the Huffy Titanium 10
speed was made of steel. Doesn't that smack of false advertising? Or was
"Titanium" a brand name, like "Hard Rock" or something?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
post #2 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

"Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> Today whilst riding in to work, I had a brief chat with a fellow on a
> Huffy Titanium 10 speed. I was surprised that Huffy ever made a Ti bike.
> The guy who was riding it didn't know anything about it, and said, "Huffy?
> Is that a good brand?" so he wasn't the source of info about the bike he
> was on.
>
> I did a quick look on google, and it turns out that the Huffy Titanium 10
> speed was made of steel. Doesn't that smack of false advertising? Or was
> "Titanium" a brand name, like "Hard Rock" or something?

Not really. As long as they refrain from saying that it is made out of
titanium they can call it that. In the same way a snack food that contains
zero cheese can be called "cheese flavour"
post #3 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

In article <1d3i6210v1eqrveni1cb0d23urmj2dhl96@4ax.com>,
Werehatrack <rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:51:45 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
> <cpetersky@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
> >Today whilst riding in to work, I had a brief chat with a fellow on a Huffy
> >Titanium 10 speed. I was surprised that Huffy ever made a Ti bike. The guy
> >who was riding it didn't know anything about it, and said, "Huffy? Is that a
> >good brand?" so he wasn't the source of info about the bike he was on.
> >
> >I did a quick look on google, and it turns out that the Huffy Titanium 10
> >speed was made of steel. Doesn't that smack of false advertising? Or was
> >"Titanium" a brand name, like "Hard Rock" or something?

> ISTR that model, and if memory serves, yes, it was just a model name,
> nothing more. Huffy would probably name one of theirs "Bamboo Racer"
> if they thought that it would sell a few. There have been more than a
> few outstandingly overblown (and possibly misleading) bike names used
> over the years.

Somebody really ought to have a talk with Argon 18, makers of the
Helium, Gallium, Titanium, Platinum, Arsenic, Mercury, and Plutonium.

The Gallium is made of Carbon. The Plutonium is made of Aluminum. The
Arsenic is also made of Carbon. Guess what the Titanium is made of?

http://www.argon18bike.com/en/titanium.htm

Scandium bikes have hardly any scandium in them,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #4 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>=
> Somebody really ought to have a talk with Argon 18, makers of the
> Helium, Gallium, Titanium, Platinum, Arsenic, Mercury, and Plutonium.
>
> The Gallium is made of Carbon. The Plutonium is made of Aluminum. The
> Arsenic is also made of Carbon. Guess what the Titanium is made of?
>
> http://www.argon18bike.com/en/titanium.htm
>
> Scandium bikes have hardly any scandium in them,

My wife's Specialized "Hard Rock" has no rock in it either. Should we
take it back? Huffy just made the mistake of picking out an element
that is actually used in bike construction for its name.
post #5 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

Werehatrack <rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:28:31 GMT, Werehatrack
><rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
>
>>... There have been more than a
>>few outstandingly overblown (and possibly misleading) bike names used
>>over the years.

>And then, there are always the Girl Scout Cookies, which have never
>contained Girl Scouts, and Cheez Whiz, which (thankfully) contains
>neither IIANM.

And I have to admit that there are no peppers in my frames either.
Oh, the shame!

But the concept of "baby food" has me freaked out....

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
post #6 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

Hiya Claire!
More common than you'd think is the practice of naming this or that
after the "hot" material du jour. The Parker Pen Co. "Radium" nibs come
to mind. Still with pens, it can get even weirder. Back in the day,
Mentmore in England came out with some decent stainless/chromed steel
pen nibs, this in a time when many liquid inks were still acid-based
nasty stuff that were known to eat conventional steels over time. They
called their pen nib material "Platignum" so people would sort of get
the idea the inexpensive silverly little stamped bits were as durable
and inert as, say, platinum. Eventually the product line and brand
became so popular that Mentmore changed its company name to Platignum
-- sort of how Centurion got "eaten" by its MTB line Diamondback.
The ways of marketing and brand identification are strange
indeed....

Robert Leone rleone@hotmail.com
post #7 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

On 2006-05-15 19:28:31 -0400, Werehatrack <rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> said:

> On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:51:45 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
> <cpetersky@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
>> Today whilst riding in to work, I had a brief chat with a fellow on a
>> Huffy Titanium 10 speed. I was surprised that Huffy ever made a Ti
>> bike. The guy who was riding it didn't know anything about it, and
>> said, "Huffy? Is that a good brand?" so he wasn't the source of info
>> about the bike he was on.
>>
>> I did a quick look on google, and it turns out that the Huffy Titanium
>> 10 speed was made of steel. Doesn't that smack of false advertising? Or
>> was "Titanium" a brand name, like "Hard Rock" or something?

> ISTR that model, and if memory serves, yes, it was just a model name,
> nothing more. Huffy would probably name one of theirs "Bamboo Racer"
> if they thought that it would sell a few. There have been more than a
> few outstandingly overblown (and possibly misleading) bike names used
> over the years.

Huffy generally comes up with hilarious names for many of its bikes. I
meant to start a list, back when I volunteered with a non-profit
bike-fixin' workshop. They seem to have had a liking for water-themed
names over the years (makes sense for bicycles, right?): the only
specific one of those I can remember was "Sea Trails", though I swear I
saw it in the same week as several other inexplicably
aquatically-appelated models
--
-------
Yoni Mazuz

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

"Yonatan Mazuz" <ymazuz@macpoop.com> wrote in message

> Huffy generally comes up with hilarious names for many of its bikes. I
> meant to start a list, back when I volunteered with a non-profit
> bike-fixin' workshop. They seem to have had a liking for water-themed
> names over the years (makes sense for bicycles, right?): the only specific
> one of those I can remember was "Sea Trails", though I swear I saw it in
> the same week as several other inexplicably aquatically-appelated models
> --

I owned a Huffy "Amazon" at one time; seemed like it should have been a
women's model.
post #9 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

In article <4ctopaF173ncmU1@individual.net>,
catzz66 <catzz66@threeletterservice.com> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> >=
> > Somebody really ought to have a talk with Argon 18, makers of the
> > Helium, Gallium, Titanium, Platinum, Arsenic, Mercury, and Plutonium.
> >
> > The Gallium is made of Carbon. The Plutonium is made of Aluminum. The
> > Arsenic is also made of Carbon. Guess what the Titanium is made of?
> >
> > http://www.argon18bike.com/en/titanium.htm
> >
> > Scandium bikes have hardly any scandium in them,
> >

> My wife's Specialized "Hard Rock" has no rock in it either. Should we
> take it back? Huffy just made the mistake of picking out an element
> that is actually used in bike construction for its name.

Don't be silly. The name clearly refers to a music genre, not a material.

Now a Giant Boulder, on the other hand, that's just silly.

Personally, I lust after a Cannondale Six13, which is named after the
atomic numbers of two elements which primarily compose the frame, and
the Cervelo Soloist Carbon, which is named after the presumed nature of
the rider and the actual frame material.

Currently riding a Fetish "Specialized Aero Component" frame, which
features no aerodynamic shaping whatsoever.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #10 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

In article <fgij62p7odjs4oj12rp6ikhcr7edltg360@4ax.com>,
Mark Hickey <mark@habcycles.com> wrote:

> Werehatrack <rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:28:31 GMT, Werehatrack
> ><rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >>... There have been more than a
> >>few outstandingly overblown (and possibly misleading) bike names used
> >>over the years.

> >And then, there are always the Girl Scout Cookies, which have never
> >contained Girl Scouts, and Cheez Whiz, which (thankfully) contains
> >neither IIANM.

> And I have to admit that there are no peppers in my frames either.
> Oh, the shame!
>
> But the concept of "baby food" has me freaked out....

You know what freaks me out? "Cops for Cancer":

http://www.cancer-tours.com/

Opposed to cancer, personally,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #11 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

"Ryan Cousineau" <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> In article <fgij62p7odjs4oj12rp6ikhcr7edltg360@4ax.com>,
> Mark Hickey <mark@habcycles.com> wrote:
>
>> Werehatrack <rault00@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:

>> >And then, there are always the Girl Scout Cookies, which have never
>> >contained Girl Scouts, and Cheez Whiz, which (thankfully) contains
>> >neither IIANM.

>> And I have to admit that there are no peppers in my frames either.
>> Oh, the shame!
>>
>> But the concept of "baby food" has me freaked out....

> You know what freaks me out? "Cops for Cancer":

A freak-out for my husband: the recent fad of naming your kid "Neveah". He
says that Heaven backwards is clearly Hell, and he thought all these people
who named their girls Neveah were satanists.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
post #12 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Today whilst riding in to work, I had a brief chat with a fellow on a Huffy
> Titanium 10 speed. I was surprised that Huffy ever made a Ti bike. The guy
> who was riding it didn't know anything about it, and said, "Huffy? Is that a
> good brand?" so he wasn't the source of info about the bike he was on.
>
> I did a quick look on google, and it turns out that the Huffy Titanium 10
> speed was made of steel. Doesn't that smack of false advertising? Or was
> "Titanium" a brand name, like "Hard Rock" or something?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

"Titanium" has been a common buzz word for several years. Possibly it came into
common use subsequent to the demise of the Soviet Union, when cash-strapped
Russia put everything except the crown jewels on sale. Lots of titanium stuff.

I've seen laptop 'puter ad. copy that contained "titanium". No, the case wasn't
made of that metal. It's color was sorta-kinda like that of titanium. Thirty
years ago it would have been called "silver".

--
Michael
post #13 of 13

Re: Huffy Titanium 10 speed

Michael <nospam@att.net> wrote in news:446F9D6A.E050B174@att.net:

> Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Titanium" has been a common buzz word for several years. Possibly it
> came into common use subsequent to the demise of the Soviet Union,
> when cash-strapped Russia put everything except the crown jewels on
> sale. Lots of titanium stuff.

About the same time DeBeers had to buy up all those diamonds the Ruskies
were dumping, and which eventually became the basis for tennis bracelets
when they decided to do something constructive with their new huge
inventory?

> I've seen laptop 'puter ad. copy that contained "titanium". No, the
> case wasn't made of that metal. It's color was sorta-kinda like that
> of titanium. Thirty years ago it would have been called "silver".

ISTR that one of the French rulers was presented with a full dinner ware
service made from that rarest of new metals, aluminum, and was quite
impressed with the setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling