Spoke tension in small wheels

Daniel Barlow

Guest
I'm well-acquainted with the local wisdom that you don't really have
your spokes too tight unless they're pretzelling your rims (slight
exaggeration, maybe), but I am wondering whether you tune spokes on
small wheels to the same pitch as you would a 700c or 27" wheel.

I have a bike with 20" wheels (four of them) and most of the spokes go
"thud" rather than "ping". Should I give them a few more turns with the
spoke key?

-dan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>, Daniel Barlow wrote:
> > I am wondering whether you tune spokes on
> >small wheels to the same pitch as you would a 700c or 27" wheel.

> Assuming the same thickness spokes a shorter spoke will have a different
> natural frequency at the same tension.
> http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/pitcheqn.htm
> http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/tension.htm

I'm off to the garage with my mandolin now.
--
Cheers
the.Mark