So what are the new stagger rules?

Tom Henderson

Guest
Heard lots of references to Nina Kraft not understanding them, resulting in her 3 min penalty. What
exactly are these rules?

Tom

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:47:57 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Heard lots of references to Nina Kraft not understanding them, resulting in her 3 min penalty. What
>exactly are these rules?
>
>Tom

I'm not sure what they are, but they sure seem to push the IM's more toward the drafting
legal versions. Other than a couple break aways. ALL of the top finishers were in the "Pack"
for most of the bike portion. They listed "first" "second" "Third" and "Pack of 12" for the
standings for most of the race. I'd like to know the rules too but it apparently changed the
way they ride the bike.

~Matt

Tom Henderson wrote in message ...
>Heard lots of references to Nina Kraft not understanding them, resulting in her 3 min penalty. What
>exactly are these rules?
>
>Tom

Not a new rule. The stagger rule only applies to the Pros. Perhaps Charlie or someone else
knowledgable will answer in full

Bill

From the USAT Rules at http://www.usatriathlon.org/Rules_Officials/rules.htm#5.10a

(e) Staggered Positioning. All cyclists must assume and maintain a staggered riding position
relative to the cyclists directly ahead; no cyclist may maintain a position of the course
directly in line with a cyclist directly ahead. This staggered position must be maintained even
if the cyclist is outside of the drafting zone and following at a distance of greater than ten
(10) meters.

news:[email protected]...

Bill Reese wrote:
> Tom Henderson wrote in message ...
>
>>Heard lots of references to Nina Kraft not understanding them, resulting in her 3 min penalty.
>>What exactly are these rules?
>>
>>Tom
>

> Not a new rule. The stagger rule only applies to the Pros. Perhaps Charlie or someone else
> knowledgable will answer in full
>
> Bill

The stagger rule is pretty simple. If the cyclist in front of you is on the right, you must be on
the left side of the road and the cyclist behind you would be on the right, etc. It doesn't matter
if you're 50 yards behind the next guy, he still dictates your position on the road. In theory an
official should be able to see a clear path between 2 lines of cyclists. The screwy part about the
stagger rule is if the lead cyclist decides for no reason he want to switch sides, the entire rest
of the field within sight has to switch over. When a pass occurs, (which can happen on the left or
right) those 2 riders must adjust positions.

JJ

In article <[email protected]>,
"John Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> From the USAT Rules at http://www.usatriathlon.org/Rules_Officials/rules.htm#5.10a
>
> (e) Staggered Positioning. All cyclists must assume and maintain a staggered riding position
> relative to the cyclists directly ahead; no cyclist may maintain a position of the course
> directly in line with a cyclist directly ahead. This staggered position must be maintained
> even if the cyclist is outside of the drafting zone and following at a distance of greater
> than ten
> (10) meters.

It's really weird that there's no upper limit (something like "If following at a distance of greater
than 50 meters the rule does not apply.")

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson