or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to remove scratch from Titanium frame?

post #1 of 4
Derk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The mechanic of my bikeshop made a small scratch on my titanium frame. The frame has a "matte"
> finish and has been glasspearl blasted if I'm well informed.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to get rid a small scratch?
>
> TIA! Derk

Use the mechanic's head to polish up your frame :-) a soft cloth with some fine cleaning agent is
probably best - something like a bathroom cleanser with slight scouring action might be best. Wet
and dry abrasive paper (commonly about 400 grade) might be too much for the frame finish, I suspect.

--
Alex Wheaton
post #2 of 4

Re: How to remove scratch from Titanium frame?

gillies@cs.ubc.ca (Donald Gillies) wrote:

>2. Don't use a bathroom cleanser. Go to an autoparts store and purchase 600 grit, 1000 grit, and
> 2000 grit sandpaper. With these grits of paper i recommend sanding with water running over the
> afflicted area (otherwise, the titanium dust will abrade the frame and mess up the finish you
> are trying to achieve.) start with 600 grit, sand until you cannot see the scratch, then
> increase to 1000, and san until you cannot see the 600-grit scratches, then finish with
> 2000-grit until you can see yourself in the frame.
>
>i don't know if this will get you the "bead blasted finish" that you desire. It will, however,
>allow you to get a "mirror finish". If the mirror finish does not match the bead blasted finish,
>just continue sanding until you've sanded the entire frame (estimated worktime : 1200 hours).

Heh heh heh... it will sure seem like it.

That's the major drawback to a bead blasted frame finish - you get most of the disadvantages of
paint. Polished can be difficult to maintain as well - if only because they show fingerprints
so easily.

Which is why I prefer brushed (which is why my frames have a brushed finish).

post #3 of 4

Derk <I_hate@spam.nl> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> Which is why I prefer brushed (which is why my frames have a brushed finish).
>Wait a minute, since my frame wasn't shiny I thought it must be bead blasted. I didn't know about
>brushing it. How can I tell if it has been brushed instead of blasted?

A brushed frame WILL be shiny, just not mirror-like. More like a DeLorean (visible brush marks -
actually the entire frame is covered with a gazillion little scratches all going the same way).

post #4 of 4

JP wrote:

> Alex Wheaton <alex@dbmagazine.com.au> wrote in message
> > Derk wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > The mechanic of my bikeshop made a small scratch on my titanium frame. The frame has a "matte"
> > > finish and has been glasspearl blasted if I'm well informed.
> > >
> > > Could anyone tell me how to get rid a small scratch?
> > >
> > > TIA! Derk
> >
> > Use the mechanic's head to polish up your frame :-) a soft cloth with some fine cleaning agent
> > is probably best - something like a bathroom cleanser with slight scouring action might be best.
> > Wet and dry abrasive paper (commonly about 400 grade) might be too much for the frame finish, I
> > suspect.
>
> You will have to be careful with this approach. It may remove the scratch but polish the surface
> to a different matte finish than the surrounding area and be more noticeable than the original
> scratch. Seems to me you would have to polish out the scratch and then reblast it to get it right.
>
> JP

Apologies to the OP if bathroom cleanser is the wrong way to go - it's precisely the frames surface
finish I was trying to preserve in my response which is part of the problem here; I think I agree
with 'JP' and others that it's going to be very hard to get any kind of invisible solution.

--
Alex Wheaton
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: