Cycling up 40% - bigger than soccer & golf

Tony Raven

Guest
More adults cycling, fewer kids due to traffic and stranger danger.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/27154/Cycle-use-grows-by-40-per-cent
Cycle use grows by 40 per cent
12:00, May 21st 2007 by Carlton Reid
That's for adults. However, traffic fears and perception of stranger
danger means that kids are cycling less and the number of children
cycling has dropped by 25 per cent in ten years. Both claims are by
market research company BRMB.
Despite the recent media success of the Government’s new Bikeability
test, new BMRB Sport data reveals a decline in the number of kids who
cycle regularly. Today, approaching 1.5 million 11-19-year-olds cycle
at least twice a week. This is almost a 25 per cent decrease from ten
years ago, when almost two million kids would cycle at least twice a week.

However, despite a decline in kids who cycle regularly, amongst adults
there has been a 40 per cent increase in the number who regularly cycle.
Today, 3.2 million adults cycle regularly compared to 2001 when the
figure was 2.3 million. In fact, more people are now cycling regularly
than participating regularly in football, golf, jogging or athletics.
For 1.2 million people cycling represents their only sporting activity,
30 per cent more than in 2001.

James Smythe, head of BMRB Sport, said: "It seems adults are getting the
message about cycling's health and transport benefits outweighing the
risks. But the decline in children cycling probably comes from parents'
concerns about safety. The new Bikeability test should go some way to
calming fears, and increasing the number of kids who wear cycle helmets"

As well as more people taking part in cycling for exercise and leisure
purposes, there is also evidence that more people are commuting by
bicycle, a possible response to government ‘cycle to work’ schemes. Of
the 3.2 million regular cyclists, 1.5 million also use their bicycle as
a method of transport, almost 20 per cent more than in 2001, and the
number of people in full time employment that cycle regularly has
increased by 35 per cent in the last six years. Regular cyclists are
more likely to be environmentally conscious. More than 4 out of 5 of
them believe people have a duty to recycle, and they are a third more
likely to pay more for environmentally friendly products. They are 20
per cent more likely than the average person to worry about pollution
and congestion from cars.

Peter King British Cycling's CEO said: "Its disappointing that less
young people are involved in cycling as we know through our experiences
with our Go-Ride programme, which involved over 25,000 young people in
2006, that kids love cycling and if given right opportunities to be
introduced to cycling as a sport, as active recreation and as a mode of
transport we know this could have a dramatic effect on the future health
of the nation for generations to come. The challenge to Government is to
get Cycling onto the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2 if we want a
nation of active and enthused young people."

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> More adults cycling, fewer kids due to traffic and stranger danger.
>
> http://www.bikebiz.com/news/27154/Cycle-use-grows-by-40-per-cent
> Cycle use grows by 40 per cent
> 12:00, May 21st 2007 by Carlton Reid
> That's for adults. However, traffic fears and perception of stranger
> danger means that kids are cycling less and the number of children
> cycling has dropped by 25 per cent in ten years. Both claims are by
> market research company BRMB.
> Despite the recent media success of the Government's new Bikeability
> test, new BMRB Sport data reveals a decline in the number of kids who
> cycle regularly. Today, approaching 1.5 million 11-19-year-olds cycle
> at least twice a week. This is almost a 25 per cent decrease from ten
> years ago, when almost two million kids would cycle at least twice a week.

that is worring though i guess not that unexpected considering the fears
people have how ever unfounded.

> However, despite a decline in kids who cycle regularly, amongst adults
> there has been a 40 per cent increase in the number who regularly cycle.
> Today, 3.2 million adults cycle regularly compared to 2001 when the
> figure was 2.3 million. In fact, more people are now cycling regularly
> than participating regularly in football, golf, jogging or athletics.
> For 1.2 million people cycling represents their only sporting activity,
> 30 per cent more than in 2001.

i'm more intrested to be honest with the numbers who use bikes for
transport than sport. i used to use the bike for sport/leisure but never
transport, now a fair use of my biking is transport.

> James Smythe, head of BMRB Sport, said: "It seems adults are getting the
> message about cycling's health and transport benefits outweighing the
> risks. But the decline in children cycling probably comes from parents'
> concerns about safety. The new Bikeability test should go some way to
> calming fears, and increasing the number of kids who wear cycle helmets"

maybe, but unless it's reversed, the numbers may fall as adults never
learn to ride. which is sad.

> As well as more people taking part in cycling for exercise and leisure
> purposes, there is also evidence that more people are commuting by
> bicycle, a possible response to government 'cycle to work' schemes. Of
> the 3.2 million regular cyclists, 1.5 million also use their bicycle as
> a method of transport, almost 20 per cent more than in 2001, and the
> number of people in full time employment that cycle regularly has
> increased by 35 per cent in the last six years. Regular cyclists are
> more likely to be environmentally conscious. More than 4 out of 5 of
> them believe people have a duty to recycle, and they are a third more
> likely to pay more for environmentally friendly products. They are 20
> per cent more likely than the average person to worry about pollution
> and congestion from cars.
>
> Peter King British Cycling's CEO said: "Its disappointing that less
> young people are involved in cycling as we know through our experiences
> with our Go-Ride programme, which involved over 25,000 young people in
> 2006, that kids love cycling and if given right opportunities to be
> introduced to cycling as a sport, as active recreation and as a mode of
> transport we know this could have a dramatic effect on the future health
> of the nation for generations to come. The challenge to Government is to
> get Cycling onto the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2 if we want a
> nation of active and enthused young people."

so good news but some possible bad news in the future?

roger

"Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hyh54n.pk966jv136mcN%[email protected]...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> More adults cycling, fewer kids due to traffic and stranger danger.

........ and they were all swanning around the New Forest today, leaving a
trail of empty water bottles, energy drink cans, biscuitr packets, and
chocolate bar wrappers behind them.

ian henden wrote:

> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1hyh54n.pk966jv136mcN%[email protected]...
> > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> More adults cycling, fewer kids due to traffic and stranger danger.
> >>

> ....... and they were all swanning around the New Forest today, leaving a
> trail of empty water bottles, energy drink cans, biscuitr packets, and
> chocolate bar wrappers behind them.

You weren't on the Tour Bus were you?

I saw it leave Eastleigh yesterday morning crossing the railway from the
Bishopstoke direction [1] and it didn't seem to have its trailer :-(
Does this mean if I were to join it at Eastleigh we couldn't take our bikes,
or even trike?

[1] I was training 10 little people along at the Junior School.

John B