Geared Hubs - Coaster Brake? -Non Coaster-Brake?....

DougC

Guest
If I am properly understanding things--the Shimano geared hubs are
available with and without coaster brakes built-in. I think....

Do all models have the brake built-in, and there's a way to avoid having
it engage with back-pedaling? It seems like I have seen geared hubs
shown on bikes with vertical dropouts, and using a chain idler,,, which
would imply a freewheel hub.
?
~

On May 24, 12:03 pm, DougC <[email protected]> wrote:
> If I am properly understanding things--the Shimano geared hubs are
> available with and without coaster brakes built-in. I think....
>
> Do all models have the brake built-in, and there's a way to avoid having
> it engage with back-pedaling? It seems like I have seen geared hubs
> shown on bikes with vertical dropouts, and using a chain idler,,, which
> would imply a freewheel hub.
> ?
> ~

The 7s and 8s at least, come in 3 different models - Coaster brake,
Roller brake, and no brake. The Roller brake ones have a spline for
mounting the brake, and the brake is sold seperately, so that means
you rarely see the no-brake model, since you can just get the roller-
brake version and leave off the brake. That's what I have on my ATB-to-
beachcruiser conversion.

So, to be able to backpedal, just don't get a coaster brake model.

On May 24, 7:58 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 24, 12:03 pm, DougC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If I am properly understanding things--the Shimano geared hubs are
> > available with and without coaster brakes built-in. I think....

> > Do all models have the brake built-in, and there's a way to avoid having
> > it engage with back-pedaling? It seems like I have seen geared hubs
> > shown on bikes with vertical dropouts, and using a chain idler,,, which
> > would imply a freewheel hub.
> > ?
> > ~

> The 7s and 8s at least, come in 3 different models - Coaster brake,
> Roller brake, and no brake. The Roller brake ones have a spline for
> mounting the brake, and the brake is sold seperately, so that means
> you rarely see the no-brake model, since you can just get the roller-
> brake version and leave off the brake. That's what I have on my ATB-to-
> beachcruiser conversion.
>
> So, to be able to backpedal, just don't get a coaster brake model.

Yup, and the roller brake is very nice if you want a reliable and fuss
free rear brake. It's heavy, but solid state. Nice paired with a LP or
canti up front.