Re: x games partition

zfreak220

Guest
I just thought of something. Why is it that ESPN2 shows stuff like
dominoes, chess, and spelling bees but not unicycling? It would bring
(IMHO) a lot more viewers. Yea, I know I'm biased, but think about what
non-unicyclists think. They would watch it just because it's weird, so
instead of focusing on the x games we should try to get ESPN coverage
of like NAUCC or Unicon.

--
zfreak220

'4-7-2007 RIP Johnny Hart' (http://tinyurl.com/3ykmht)
KH fund: $166.33/$371.49-$205.16 to go!
http://www.usenet.com

zfreak220 wrote:
> I just thought of something. Why is it that ESPN2 shows stuff like
> dominoes, chess, and spelling bees but not unicycling? It would bring
> (IMHO) a lot more viewers. Yea, I know I'm biased, but think about what
> non-unicyclists think. They would watch it just because it's weird, so
> instead of focusing on the x games we should try to get ESPN coverage
> of like NAUCC or Unicon.

I 100% agree.

You beat me to it!

--
Poseidon

*If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!* ;)

'You're Invited! Come play LOST!' (www.lost.eu/43d53)
*Stupid, and Gay are two diffrent words, with two completley diffrent
meanings. Get it right, make it count.*:mad:
*If I make a spelling mistake, please let me know. I wont be offended*.
http://www.usenet.com

Dominos, chess, and spelling bees have fairly large followings. Nearly
everyone has done one or all of those sometime while growing up, and
can appreciate the level that these games have gone to. They also know
how the competitions work.

Since probably way less than 1% of the population have ever ridden a
unicycle, I don't think there is that same connection...

Now... if you wanted a show... I say do this:

Get a Biker, a Skateboarder, maybe a Roller Blader, a Unicyclist, maybe
even a pogo stick dude... And have them all do different
competitions... Obstical courses, trials type things, etc... Make
several events that all the competitors can do, but probably don't do
on a regular basis... Show the different approaches to the
challenge... maybe keep points and score a winner...

If you did the show more than once, then you could allow new things
join for a show and see how they stack up... like those foot wheeled
things that were linked... or the springy stilt things... or
whatever...

Just my $.02 worth...

Keld

--
Keldridge
http://www.usenet.com

Keldridge wrote:
> Dominos, chess, and spelling bees have fairly large followings. Nearly
> everyone has done one or all of those sometime while growing up, and
> can appreciate the level that these games have gone to. They also know
> how the competitions work.
>
> Since probably way less than 1% of the population have ever ridden a
> unicycle, I don't think there is that same connection...

In addition: Our competitions are competitor-friendly, not
spectator-friendly. I like the KH trials competition scoring system
for a participatory sport, but it lacks the suspense needed for
broadcast.

That's fine.

--
tholub