or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

post #1 of 14
I posted a couple months ago how it's impossible to find canned
enchilada sauce in New York. Well, guess what? I found something else
they don't sell here. Canned green chiles.

I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, and bought everything
else I need to make it. Discover nobody here has even HEARD of canned
green chiles. On the plus side, I can find maybe fifty different types
of FRESH green chiles. Anybody got ideas on substituting? The recipe
calls for 3 4.5 cans of green chiles. Maybe like 4 fresh poblanos?
Can I roast them in the oven, or under the broiler? I *hate* doing
them on the burners: they need too much attention.

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

"Bailey Legull" <pluto@quentincrisp.com> wrote in message
>I posted a couple months ago how it's impossible to find canned
> enchilada sauce in New York. Well, guess what? I found something else
> they don't sell here. Canned green chiles.
>
> I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, and bought everything
> else I need to make it. Discover nobody here has even HEARD of canned
> green chiles. On the plus side, I can find maybe fifty different types
> of FRESH green chiles. Anybody got ideas on substituting? The recipe
> calls for 3 4.5 cans of green chiles. Maybe like 4 fresh poblanos?
> Can I roast them in the oven, or under the broiler? I *hate* doing
> them on the burners: they need too much attention.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Which stores have you shopped at, and been unable to find canned green
chiles?
post #3 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

>> Is this NYC or NY state?

New York City. Brooklyn, to be precise. I'm totally confused: I'm
shopping at SERIOUSLY Hispanic grocery stores, maybe a half or a third
the size of regular supermarkets (this being New York). I think the
things I'm cook with -- enchilada sauce and canned chiles -- are
*white* people's version of Hispanic cooking, which is why they aren't
here. This is the real thing.

> Which stores have you shopped at, and been unable to find canned green
> chiles?

I went to Key Foods, Associated and C-Town.

Like I say, NYC supermarkets are weird. They've got half an aisle of
Goya products -- gandulas, sazon, etc. Heck, Key Foods used to sell
GUINEA PIGS for the Ecuadoreans in the neighborhood. (Frozen, around
$11 each. With their tiny little claws perched beneath their chins.
Yeah, that'll give you a little scare when you're looking at frozen
pizza.)
post #4 of 14

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Bailey Legull wrote:
>> I posted a couple months ago how it's impossible to find canned
>> enchilada sauce in New York. Well, guess what? I found something else
>> they don't sell here. Canned green chiles.
>>

>> I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, and bought everything
>> else I need to make it. Discover nobody here has even HEARD of canned
>> green chiles. On the plus side, I can find maybe fifty different types
>> of FRESH green chiles. Anybody got ideas on substituting? The recipe
>> calls for 3 4.5 cans of green chiles. Maybe like 4 fresh poblanos?
>> Can I roast them in the oven, or under the broiler? I *hate* doing
>> them on the burners: they need too much attention.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Is this New York state or NYC?

It shouldn't matter. The product is available from Old El Paso (General
Mills), and Ortega (B&G Foods). Unless the OP's shopping at tiny little
delis, or trendy shops that are too snooty to carry "common foods", one of
these brands should be almost universally available.
post #5 of 14

>>> Is this NYC or NY state?

> New York City. Brooklyn, to be precise. I'm totally confused: I'm
> shopping at SERIOUSLY Hispanic grocery stores, maybe a half or a third
> the size of regular supermarkets (this being New York). I think the
> things I'm cook with -- enchilada sauce and canned chiles -- are
> *white* people's version of Hispanic cooking, which is why they aren't
> here. This is the real thing.
>
>> Which stores have you shopped at, and been unable to find canned green
>> chiles?

> I went to Key Foods, Associated and C-Town.
>
> Like I say, NYC supermarkets are weird. They've got half an aisle of
> Goya products -- gandulas, sazon, etc. Heck, Key Foods used to sell
> GUINEA PIGS for the Ecuadoreans in the neighborhood. (Frozen, around
> $11 each. With their tiny little claws perched beneath their chins.
> Yeah, that'll give you a little scare when you're looking at frozen
> pizza.)

Have you asked the managers about the products? If they carry Ortega or Old
El Paso, they should be able to order the chiles. Matter of fact, they may
actually have them in the store, but displayed in a stupid category where
normal people wouldn't think of looking. This happens more often than you'd
believe. I shop at Wegman's, an excellent store here in Rochester. Once -
just once - their smallest store moved all the chickpeas from the canned
vegetable aisle to the imported food aisle for some stupid reason. It's
called "merchandising" - moving things around the store so nobody can find
them.
post #6 of 14

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> Have you asked the managers about the products? If they carry Ortega or Old
> El Paso, they should be able to order the chiles.

Well, I already bought everything else I need, so I need to do this
immediately. Actually, I found a substitution Googling: Anaheim,
California, New Mexico, Cubanelle or Pasilla peppers. Should turn out
even better than canned.

Not sure if they'll special order here. Doubt it. I mean, if they
were interested in customer service, they'd have the clerks talk to the
customers rather than amongst themselves. You know, like "Hi!' or "How
are you!" or "Find everything you're looking for?" or "Have a nice
day!"

> Matter of fact, they may
> actually have them in the store, but displayed in a stupid category where
> normal people wouldn't think of looking.

I walked every aisle of every store. (Not hard: they have four food
aisles max. Which is why when I go traveling, the first thing I do is
stop in their supermarkets, where I skip down the aisles in overchoice
bliss. Everybody NOT in Brooklyn, count your blessings.)

Oh, another product they don't sell here: Ro-Tel. (I *think* it's
tomatoes with green chiles. Found Hunt's diced tomatoes with green
chiles -- should be about the same, right?)
post #7 of 14

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> Have you asked the managers about the products? If they carry Ortega or
>> Old
>> El Paso, they should be able to order the chiles.

> Well, I already bought everything else I need, so I need to do this
> immediately. Actually, I found a substitution Googling: Anaheim,
> California, New Mexico, Cubanelle or Pasilla peppers. Should turn out
> even better than canned.
>
> Not sure if they'll special order here. Doubt it. I mean, if they
> were interested in customer service, they'd have the clerks talk to the
> customers rather than amongst themselves. You know, like "Hi!' or "How
> are you!" or "Find everything you're looking for?" or "Have a nice
> day!"
>
>> Matter of fact, they may
>> actually have them in the store, but displayed in a stupid category where
>> normal people wouldn't think of looking.

> I walked every aisle of every store. (Not hard: they have four food
> aisles max. Which is why when I go traveling, the first thing I do is
> stop in their supermarkets, where I skip down the aisles in overchoice
> bliss. Everybody NOT in Brooklyn, count your blessings.)
>
> Oh, another product they don't sell here: Ro-Tel. (I *think* it's
> tomatoes with green chiles. Found Hunt's diced tomatoes with green
> chiles -- should be about the same, right?)

Sounds like it's time for a big trip out East, to a King Kullen or
Waldbaum's in Nassau or Suffolk county. Stock up on all the exotic stuff.
When I'm down there visiting my home office, I bring an ice chest so I can
import lots of Batampte pickles, and whatever's interesting at the fish
markets on Sunrise Highway.
post #8 of 14

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> Sounds like it's time for a big trip out East, to a King Kullen or
> Waldbaum's in Nassau or Suffolk county. Stock up on all the exotic stuff.
> When I'm down there visiting my home office, I bring an ice chest so I can
> import lots of Batampte pickles, and whatever's interesting at the fish
> markets on Sunrise Highway.

I occasionally stop by Waldbaum's in Long Beach when I stay with
friends. It's about twenty times larger than my local supermarkets.
Which is maybe a third the size of a Giant Ralphs, for all you West
Coasters.

On the plus side, I can find all the Drakes and Little Debbies I want.
Considering I *hate* overly-processed pastries, though, that's
surprisingly close to zero.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I think this'll turn out okay.
post #9 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

In article <1150381649.365158.88580@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Bailey Legull" <pluto@quentincrisp.com> wrote:

> I posted a couple months ago how it's impossible to find canned
> enchilada sauce in New York. Well, guess what? I found something else
> they don't sell here. Canned green chiles.
>
> I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, and bought everything
> else I need to make it. Discover nobody here has even HEARD of canned
> green chiles. On the plus side, I can find maybe fifty different types
> of FRESH green chiles. Anybody got ideas on substituting? The recipe
> calls for 3 4.5 cans of green chiles. Maybe like 4 fresh poblanos?
> Can I roast them in the oven, or under the broiler? I *hate* doing
> them on the burners: they need too much attention.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Sure, roast them in your oven. I do it really hot - 450 or 500. When
they are soft and blackened in spots pull them out and cover with
plastic wrap (or put into a plastic zipper bag) and let cool. Once cool
they will be easy to peel and seed. Chop them up and use them like the
canned.

marcella
post #10 of 14

On 15 Jun 2006 08:24:49 -0700, Bailey Legull wrote:

> Oh, another product they don't sell here: Ro-Tel. (I *think* it's
> tomatoes with green chiles. Found Hunt's diced tomatoes with green
> chiles -- should be about the same, right?)

Nothing is half as good as the Rotel brand. I've tried three
other brands, Hunts being one of them.

I love the Rotel Extra Hot for making salsas. Add fresh onion,
cilantro, and lime juice, and a little more salt.

-sw
post #11 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

I can sympathize with Bailey.
I lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years when I first moved to NY. The
supermarkets there were just terrible. I made do somehow.
I later moved to Manhattan where the markets were somewhat better, but
very expensive. At least there were more choices, such as they were, in
Manhattan.
At least there is a Fairway market in Manhattan.
And I agree that Rotels are the best brand of tomatoes & green chilies.
The Hunt's ones are an adequate substitute, but I like the Rotel's
better. They have a hotter, zestier flavor.
Another odd thing about Manhattan supermakets is that Food Emporium
actually stocks frozen crawfish tails. I've never seen those anywhere
else here on the east coast.
I now live on Long Island where we have really nice supermarkets, Whole
Foods, Fairway, Waldbaum's, King Kullen,Stop & Shop,etc.

Darren
post #12 of 14

JoeSpareBedroom <dishborealis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Bailey Legull" <pluto@quentincrisp.com> wrote in message

>> I went to Key Foods, Associated and C-Town.

>> Like I say, NYC supermarkets are weird. They've got half an aisle of
>> Goya products -- gandulas, sazon, etc. Heck, Key Foods used to sell
>> GUINEA PIGS for the Ecuadoreans in the neighborhood. (Frozen, around
>> $11 each. With their tiny little claws perched beneath their chins.
>> Yeah, that'll give you a little scare when you're looking at frozen
>> pizza.)
>>

>Have you asked the managers about the products? If they carry Ortega or Old
>El Paso, they should be able to order the chiles. Matter of fact, they may
>actually have them in the store, but displayed in a stupid category where
>normal people wouldn't think of looking.

Having shopped a bunch at a Key Foods in Brooklyn, it
would not surprise me if they have never carrie canned
Ortega chilis.

The chilis in the cans are either Anaheim or Hatch,
if using fresh chilis Anaheim, Pasilla or Poblano are
likely good choices.

Steve
post #13 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

Ohmigosh, this Green Chile Chicken Stew is SPECTACULAR:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=222823

Shout-outs to everyone who offered advice. Thank you Steve for the
chile info. I only found poblanos locally so I went with those.

Marcella, thanks for the roasting info. I roasted them at 500 for
almost half an hour. Skins just slid right off. And to think I spend
like three hours looking for stupid canned chiles.

It's a wonderful chicken stew with a sort of tortilla-soup flavor.
Screams out for crumbled tortilla chips floating atop, or at least
crusty bread.

Left out the Ro-Tel, evap milk and cheese; used fire-roasted Muir Glen
tomatoes; next time will probably add a pound of Trader Joe's frozen
roasted corn, just for more veggies. I doubled the recipe and used 2
1/2 lbs poblanos.

Anyway, highly recommended for Tex-Mex/Southwestern fans. I'm going to
be making this a lot!
post #14 of 14

Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

I'm glad it worked! Thanks for the link to the recipe; it looks good.

marcella
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition