or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

post #1 of 87
It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.
post #2 of 87

Re: Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

The problem stems from tractor-trailers and the excessive air
turbulence in their wake. Having one pass you at a 50 mph differential
would likely cause one to fall.
post #3 of 87

morticide wrote:
> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> > It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> > berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> > into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> > encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

> Simple, really....most states have at least a 40 mph minimum legal
> speed on the freeways. The best bike operators can only go about 30.
> Same reason tractors are not allowed on freeways.

I'm imagining a gal on a 27 speed mountain bike at the bottom of a
metered ramp leading a long line of cars up at 4mph while looking at
traffic flying by at 65mph.
post #4 of 87

On 19 Jun 2006 11:35:31 -0700, "morticide" <grvan@netzero.net> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

>Simple, really....most states have at least a 40 mph minimum legal
>speed on the freeways. The best bike operators can only go about 30.
>Same reason tractors are not allowed on freeways.

I know that, you nitwit. Obviously that law needs to be changed.
post #5 of 87

Re: Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

On 19 Jun 2006 11:42:02 -0700, "Grendel" <wsthomas@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

>Simply put, in deference to you. "Vroom, *squish*"
>
>That 'wide berm' you refer to is, in fact, what is known as an
>'Emergency Lane', used, strangely enough, during emergencies. It
>may be used by disabled vehicles, as an area to change a tire or even
>as access by Emergency vehicles, (see, that 'emergency' thang
>again).

Oh get serious. 99.9999999% of freeway berm space is not being used
for anything!!!!!!! THINK
post #6 of 87

morticide wrote:

> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>>It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>>berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>>into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>>encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

> Simple, really....most states have at least a 40 mph minimum legal
> speed on the freeways. The best bike operators can only go about 30.
> Same reason tractors are not allowed on freeways.

Yet many states do allow bicycles on freeways.

Wayne
post #7 of 87

Grendel wrote:

> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>>It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>>berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>>into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>>encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

> Simply put, in deference to you. "Vroom, *squish*"
>
> That 'wide berm' you refer to is, in fact, what is known as an
> 'Emergency Lane', used, strangely enough, during emergencies. It
> may be used by disabled vehicles, as an area to change a tire or even
> as access by Emergency vehicles, (see, that 'emergency' thang
> again).
>
> Once again you demonstrate your seriously lacking reasoning abilities.

And the reason a bicyclist couldn't/shouldn't use the "Emergency Lane"
is.....?

Wayne
post #8 of 87

Re: Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

Bikes ARE allowed on freeways in the west. ANywhere where the freeway
is the only reasonable route between two points, they are allowed.
And, things work our just fine. They do require you to exit at every
car exit, cross at the top of the exit, and reenter.

You can ride on I-25 between Pueblo and Walsenburg on your bike.

You can ride parts of I-70 going west over the mountains on your bike.

BUt, you are right in that if another reasonable path is availabe, then
they are not allowed. Personally, I don't enjoy riding on freeways.
post #9 of 87

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

Err, as someone else mentioned, they are allowed on freeways in the
west. At least outside main city drags. I've done it, it's not the
best cycling environment, but it's doable. Really, this is pretty much
a non-subject.

--
Dane Buson - sigdane@unixbigots.org
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's

On 19 Jun 2006 11:58:15 -0700, "peter" <prathman@comcast.net> wrote:

>Passing truck traffic did not cause any problems even with the added
>wind-catching panniers we used for carrying our touring gear - in fact
>the artificial wind from their passing was a nice little boost.
>Bicycles are prohibited from more urban sections of California freeways
>where alternate routes exist and where crowded on- and off-ramps would
>create more hazards.

Aren't there berms on the on-off ramps in CA?
post #11 of 87

On 19 Jun 2006 11:54:02 -0700, "morticide" <grvan@netzero.net> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

>> >Simple, really....most states have at least a 40 mph minimum legal
>> >speed on the freeways. The best bike operators can only go about 30.
>> >Same reason tractors are not allowed on freeways.

>> I know that, you nitwit. Obviously that law needs to be changed.

>So you'd rather make it so it takes, say, 3 days to go from Kansas City
>to St. Louis rather than the current 4 hours? Commerce would grind to
>a screeching halt.

Hey stupid. The bikes would be confined to the berm of course, and
would not interfere with motorized drivers.
post #12 of 87

Re: Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

On 19 Jun 2006 12:10:01 -0700, "Grendel" <wsthomas@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>This doesn't even get into the fact that cyclist would be blown off of
>the berm or sucked into the path of traffic by the slipstream from one
>fast moving Peterbilt.

Bikes are allowed on regular two lane highways where speed limits are
60 mph. Why doesn't it happen there? Again i say THINK.
post #13 of 87

On 19 Jun 2006 11:58:08 -0700, "Crash" <sourcenexus@san.rr.com> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

>I'd be in favor of this if you would first change the laws so that I
>cannot be sued when my 85mph car splatters somebody going 15mph on a
>bicycle...

Stay off the berm and leave it for the cyclists and don't drive 85
mph. 85 is only for psychopaths.
post #14 of 87

Re: Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

On 19 Jun 2006 11:54:25 -0700, "Colorado Bicycler" <dnvrfox@aol.com>
wrote:

>Bikes ARE allowed on freeways in the west. They do require you to exit at every
>car exit, cross at the top of the exit, and reenter.

HUH??? Are you sure about that? Why would they have such a law?
post #15 of 87

"laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

Give it time -- when gas hits $6.00 a gallon in a couple of years, the
freeways will be as clogged with bikes as they are now with cars.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling