What's the deal with getting pulled over by the cops?

Bugbear

Guest
I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
with a work colleague.

If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?

Just curious

On Jul 5, 11:38 am, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
> with a work colleague.
>
> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?
>
> Just curious

I think that as a road user you're subject to all the same road rules
as other users, so you could be issued a speeding infringement (need
to check with a cop to be sure). Since you can be charged with DUI
for being over the limit while riding a bicycle, I don't see why you
couldn't, in theory at least (cop might not be bothered) get a
speeding fine. The demerit points would come off your licence AFAICT.

If you're not carrying any ID and you give a false name and address
then short of holding you until they verify the name and address, I'd
say you'd get away scott free. If you live in a small town, then
they're likely to pick you up again in which case you could find
yourself in hot water. Honesty is the best policy (apart from the
obvious "Oh I don't have a speedo on this bicycle so I didn't know how
fast I was going Officer.")

On Jul 5, 11:38 am, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
> with a work colleague.
>
> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?

If the ticket is in a 100km/h zone, frame it on the wall.

On 2007-07-05, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 11:38 am, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
>> with a work colleague.
>>
>> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
>> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
>> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
>> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
>> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?

> If the ticket is in a 100km/h zone, frame it on the wall.

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I still get grins when I think about the time I was doing something like
70 in a 60 zone, and passed a 4WD on its left ... Wouldn't do it again,
though. (High Street Road, heading down the hill from the Glen; crossing
Springvale Road is *very* bumpy, making such speeds on a bicycle a
little bit dicey.)

Stuart Lamble wrote:
> On 2007-07-05, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 11:38 am, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
>>> with a work colleague.
>>>
>>> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
>>> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
>>> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
>>> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
>>> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?

>> If the ticket is in a 100km/h zone, frame it on the wall.

> Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.
>
> I still get grins when I think about the time I was doing something like
> 70 in a 60 zone, and passed a 4WD on its left ... Wouldn't do it again,
> though. (High Street Road, heading down the hill from the Glen; crossing
> Springvale Road is *very* bumpy, making such speeds on a bicycle a
> little bit dicey.)

Makes me wonder about bike races on the open road. Sure you can get
police approval to hold a race, but do they know we're speeding much of
the time?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

On Jul 5, 2:38 pm, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Stuart Lamble wrote:

> >> If the ticket is in a 100km/h zone, frame it on the wall.

> > Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

> > I still get grins when I think about the time I was doing something like
> > 70 in a 60 zone, and passed a 4WD on its left ... Wouldn't do it again,
> > though. (High Street Road, heading down the hill from the Glen; crossing
> > Springvale Road is *very* bumpy, making such speeds on a bicycle a
> > little bit dicey.)

> Makes me wonder about bike races on the open road. Sure you can get
> police approval to hold a race, but do they know we're speeding much of
> the time?

Where are your races, and what are the speed limits on those roads?

I think that as a road user you're subject to all the same road rules
as other users, so you could be issued a speeding infringement (need
to check with a cop to be sure). Since you can be charged with DUI
for being over the limit while riding a bicycle, I don't see why you
couldn't, in theory at least (cop might not be bothered) get a
speeding fine. The demerit points would come off your licence AFAICT.

But the rules for 0.05% only apply to drivers of a motor vehicle. So they would have to use some other traffic infringement such as not being in control of the vehicle (i.e. same sort of rule you would use for a horse rider).
Here is one person's view of the road rules:
http://www.whitehorsecyclists.org.au/roadrules.pdf

Bleve wrote:

> Where are your races, and what are the speed limits on those roads?

Most of the roads are 80+ but I'm sure I've been on a downhill 60
section at 60+ in a bunch! Maybe someone local can correct me on that
but I thought the drop into Uriarra Xing has a limit of 60???

--

Bugbear wrote:
> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
> with a work colleague.
>
> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?
>
> Just curious

I've been pulled up for doing 70 in a 60 zone, Healesville Vic of all
places. They didn't give me a ticket, merely looked down their nose and
asked, `You got a licence to drive that thing?' In those days I didn't
have a car licence. The bike has been reasonably reliably clocked at 85
k/mh on suitably massive hills in Vic and Tas.

On Jul 5, 3:31 pm, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Where are your races, and what are the speed limits on those roads?

> Most of the roads are 80+ but I'm sure I've been on a downhill 60
> section at 60+ in a bunch! Maybe someone local can correct me on that
> but I thought the drop into Uriarra Xing has a limit of 60???
>
> --
> Bean
>
> Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Yep, lots of instances of speeding in a race.

Here's a conundrum: The other week in our race we had all the signs
out for a marshalled corner (60, 40, prepare to stop etc). A guy
overtakes the A grade breakaway (containing Rob McLachlan and Fabio
Calabria) just before the 40km/h sign, then obeys our own sign and
slows the breakaway down with led to much ranting and raving from both
sides.

We actually set the speed limits that were broken by the riders...

Bean Long wrote:

> Most of the roads are 80+ but I'm sure I've been on a downhill
> 60 section at 60+ in a bunch! Maybe someone local can correct
> me on that but I thought the drop into Uriarra Xing has a
> limit of 60???

Interestingly, the old ACT Pedal Power web site claimed that
road speed limits did not apply to bicycles in the ACT. That
bit of information is missing (as far as I can see) since they
revamped their site a year or two ago.

I even bookmarked the info, but it's long gone:
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm

John

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:38:04 -0700
Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
> with a work colleague.
>
> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?

If the police believe you have committed an offence, then you are
required to produce identification.

Speeding is an offence... You can lose points from your driver's
licence for being drunk in charge of a bicycle, which might not be
fair but who said it had to be?

So obey the road rules and you should be fine. If you do get done for
speeding, make sure they give you a copy of the ticket and the photo
if there is one, plenty of places that will frame it.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:38:04 -0700
> Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
> > with a work colleague.
> >
> > If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
> > is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
> > just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
> > take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
> > it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?
> >

> If the police believe you have committed an offence, then you are
> required to produce identification.

Within a few years the police will probably just do a retina scan and
identify you based on the data you have provided to obtain your
Australian Citizenship Card.

> Speeding is an offence... You can lose points from your driver's
> licence for being drunk in charge of a bicycle, which might not be
> fair but who said it had to be?

That might depend what state you are in, and I don't mean your state of
sobriety. In Qld you don't gain demerit points for bicycle related
offences. I think that is because it is seen as unfair to penalise
people who have licences more severely than those who don't hold them.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 5, 11:38 am, Bugbear <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm not saying this has happened to me but I was talking about this
>> with a work colleague.
>>
>> If I was caught speeding on my bicycle and the cops pull me over, what
>> is the procedure? If I am not carrying ID where do I stand? Do they
>> just issue a ticket? If I had my drivers licence, would they then
>> take points off my licence (on the face of it that would seem unfair -
>> it's a _drivers_ licence, not a bicyclists licence)?
>>
>> Just curious

> I think that as a road user you're subject to all the same road rules
> as other users, so you could be issued a speeding infringement (need
> to check with a cop to be sure). Since you can be charged with DUI
> for being over the limit while riding a bicycle, I don't see why you
> couldn't, in theory at least (cop might not be bothered) get a
> speeding fine. The demerit points would come off your licence AFAICT.
>
> If you're not carrying any ID and you give a false name and address
> then short of holding you until they verify the name and address, I'd
> say you'd get away scott free. If you live in a small town, then
> they're likely to pick you up again in which case you could find
> yourself in hot water. Honesty is the best policy (apart from the
> obvious "Oh I don't have a speedo on this bicycle so I didn't know how
> fast I was going Officer.")

If you don't have a speedo then you can't argue that you weren't
speeding. Been there, done that.

Dorfus

Bean Long wrote:
> Stuart Lamble wrote:

>>> If the ticket is in a 100km/h zone, frame it on the wall.

>> Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.
>>
>> I still get grins when I think about the time I was doing something like
>> 70 in a 60 zone, and passed a 4WD on its left ... Wouldn't do it again,
>> though. (High Street Road, heading down the hill from the Glen; crossing
>> Springvale Road is *very* bumpy, making such speeds on a bicycle a
>> little bit dicey.)
>>

> Makes me wonder about bike races on the open road. Sure you can get
> police approval to hold a race, but do they know we're speeding much of
> the time?

Racing bicycles on the road without a permit is illegal, In Western
Australia you need a "suspension of road rules permit". The permit comes
with various strings attached such as wearing helmets, keeping to the
left and so on. Since Peter Brocks death it's become far more difficult
to get permits, and the police are making rules far more stringent and
enforcing them.
The best way to ruin a cycling event is to break the road rules.

Dorfus

ghostgum wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>> I think that as a road user you're subject to all the same road rules
>> as other users, so you could be issued a speeding infringement (need
>> to check with a cop to be sure). Since you can be charged with DUI
>> for being over the limit while riding a bicycle, I don't see why you
>> couldn't, in theory at least (cop might not be bothered) get a
>> speeding fine. The demerit points would come off your licence AFAICT.
>>

> But the rules for 0.05% only apply to drivers of a motor vehicle. So
> they would have to use some other traffic infringement such as not
> being in control of the vehicle (i.e. same sort of rule you would use
> for a horse rider).
> Here is one person's view of the road rules:
> http://www.whitehorsecyclists.org.au/roadrules.pdf

Wrong. I know of several people who have been done for DUI on a bicycle.
I'm fairly certain you can't ride a horse on the road when drunk but I
can't be bothered looking for it on the 'net.

Dorfus

I think The Boulevard in Kew has a 50 km/h limit, which is pretty regularly exceeded.

Parbs wrote:

> Not when you know where to look

<http://web.archive.org/web/20040421082523/http://www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm>

Thanks - I was hoping someone would know of a trick like that if
I posted the old URL.

John

ghostgum wrote:

> But the rules for 0.05% only apply to drivers of a motor vehicle. So
> they would have to use some other traffic infringement such as not
> being in control of the vehicle (i.e. same sort of rule you would use
> for a horse rider).
> Here is one person's view of the road rules:
> http://www.whitehorsecyclists.org.au/roadrules.pdf

I caught this mid-thread, so don't know the context (state) for which the
original poster was asking about.

The generic answer would be "it depends". There have been several
statements in this thread that apply or don't apply to NSW (where I am) and it
does indeed appear to be different for different states.

In case of NSW, no blood alcohol "limit" applies as such, but if you're
visibly affected, you WILL get booked.
However, even if you were "blind stupid punch blotto I don't know what
planet I was on" drunk, you can still legally get on your bike the next day
and they can't do a damn thing about it. You can legally walk your bike home.

Speeding. You will get booked as per normal, but no points apply, only
fines. As above, you could be doing a "million points and take away the
licence forever" speed over the limit, and the most they can do is fine you.
You can still continue to ride home. Legally.

If you have no ID, they'll give the speil of "if we find out you gave us
false information, you'll get fined for the original infringement, plus the
false information fine". They have to find you first of course.
This doesn't happen often on the road, because it just doesn't happen, but
on our railways, where "no IDs" are rife, a report indicated about 50% of the
names given are false.

Not that I'm condoning anyone take advantage of the loopholes in our lovely
laws, but one can think of it as a "payback scheme" for all the ********
drivers we have to deal with on the road.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>