Clean up of frame

Brendo

Guest
Currently I'm the leading bidder on a fine steed ( http://www.tiny.cc/KcVho
).

Size looks to be no issue, as I'm bigger than the average bear.

The paint job is another issue. Given that it is likely to be an all
round bike (fitness rides plus a shop chariot) I figure I'll go over
it in a matte black or similar. Is stripping the paint a big job?
Should bead blasting be considered, or is it a waste of time?

Thanks in advance.

Brendo

On Jul 6, 1:34 pm, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Currently I'm the leading bidder on a fine steed (http://www.tiny.cc/KcVho
> ).
>
> Size looks to be no issue, as I'm bigger than the average bear.
>
> The paint job is another issue. Given that it is likely to be an all
> round bike (fitness rides plus a shop chariot) I figure I'll go over
> it in a matte black or similar. Is stripping the paint a big job?
> Should bead blasting be considered, or is it a waste of time?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Brendo

If the paint is in ok condition, just paint over it. Much easier than
stripping back to bare metal.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:34:30 -0700, Brendo wrote:

> The paint job is another issue. Given that it is likely to be an all
> round bike (fitness rides plus a shop chariot) I figure I'll go over
> it in a matte black or similar. Is stripping the paint a big job?

If you're equipped (tools & skill wise) to strip the parts off, then
stripping the paint isn't a huge job. I stripped an old frame and
repainted it as a Xmas present for my wife based on the instructions here:

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=62163

One thing I found, and can't remember if I added to that thread, is that
if you get a bit of light running you can sand it back with wet & dry,
then bring back a decent lustre by attacking it with a car polish that's a
light cut - I used Kitten #2 since it was the cheapest at K-mart.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory

It'd be nice if the seller could tell you what the actual frame size is instead of "fits 6ft+". Or did I miss that bit? Cro mo can be bead-blasted, it's up to you if you want the frame to be repainted (your work, cheaper) or powdercoated (someone else, costs you more). I just got two frames done here in Melboring for $160 (+GST) and are happy with the results. Red can be difficult, second frame had to be redone to a unfortunate orange peel effect. Looks ok now though and I wasn't charged any extras. ;)