or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fixed Gear -- Bendix 2 speed hub?

post #1 of 4
Hi,

I just ran across these articles http://www.63xc.com/genng/bikesmith.htm &
http://www.63xc.com/lewisc/diy2fg.htm and it looks like exactly what I need
to commute on my fixed gear. My route is just "rollers" except for one
portion where it's like 15%+ for a half-mile, so I really need to have to
shift for that one !! :-)

I've seen Bendix "red band" and "yellow band". I've seen "automatic 2 speed"
and "coaster brakes" (all on e-bay). Does anyone know what kind of bendix 2
speed hub is required for this conversion?

Does anyone know how the hub works. I mean is it direct-drive and a
reduction? or direct-drive and an increase? By what ratios?

I'd go buy one of these http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html, except
it won't work for a fixed-gear because you can't back-pedal with it.

Thanks,

J.
post #2 of 4

Re: Fixed Gear -- Bendix 2 speed hub?

The answer is no color bands. No red bands. No yellow bands. No blue
bands. They used the older bendix cable shift 2 speed coaster brake
hub, not any of the newer automatic aka kick back models. The cable
shift 2 speed hub was produced by bendix for just a couple of years in
the late 1950s before it was dropped in favor of the red bands kick
back version. The red band was replaced by the blue & yellow versions.
Blue was an over drive version yellow was an under drive version (or
visa versa, never could keep the blue & yellow correct) The other big
difference between the red and blue/yellow was the brakes. The red
band had a stack of copper disks squeezed between steel disks for
brakes. One set of the disks had teeth that slotted in to groves on
the inside of the shell, the other set of disks fitted to a flat sided
brake arm that bolted to the chain stay. The newer blue/yellow brake
design uses 2 shoes that squeeze outward on the inside of the hub
shell.

Note, a single red band is a single speed coaster brake hub.
The two speed red/blue/yellow hubs have 2 color bands.

Look close at the photos and you can see the bell housing type
connector on one end of the axle, similar to a shimano 3.3.3 3 speed
hub connector.

I had a bike with the cable control 2 speed. You can see pictures
here:
http://community.webshots.com/myphot...umID=122564725
Sold that.
It was actually rather unsettling to ride. I found myself grabing the
shift lever in panic stops. aieeeeeeee. Shift instead of stop.

I have an extra cable shift 2 speed bendix hub ...
make your offers.

Rick

jack sprat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran across these articles http://www.63xc.com/genng/bikesmith.htm &
> http://www.63xc.com/lewisc/diy2fg.htm and it looks like exactly what I need
> to commute on my fixed gear. My route is just "rollers" except for one
> portion where it's like 15%+ for a half-mile, so I really need to have to
> shift for that one !! :-)
>
> I've seen Bendix "red band" and "yellow band". I've seen "automatic 2 speed"
> and "coaster brakes" (all on e-bay). Does anyone know what kind of bendix 2
> speed hub is required for this conversion?
>
> Does anyone know how the hub works. I mean is it direct-drive and a
> reduction? or direct-drive and an increase? By what ratios?
>
> I'd go buy one of these http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html, except
> it won't work for a fixed-gear because you can't back-pedal with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
post #3 of 4

Re: Fixed Gear -- Bendix 2 speed hub?

Here is my "How To' article about the same hub, in the same magazine.

http://www.63xc.com/lewisc/diy2fg.htm

Lewis.

*****

jack sprat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran across these articles http://www.63xc.com/genng/bikesmith.htm &
> http://www.63xc.com/lewisc/diy2fg.htm and it looks like exactly what I need
> to commute on my fixed gear. My route is just "rollers" except for one
> portion where it's like 15%+ for a half-mile, so I really need to have to
> shift for that one !! :-)
>
> I've seen Bendix "red band" and "yellow band". I've seen "automatic 2 speed"
> and "coaster brakes" (all on e-bay). Does anyone know what kind of bendix 2
> speed hub is required for this conversion?
>
> Does anyone know how the hub works. I mean is it direct-drive and a
> reduction? or direct-drive and an increase? By what ratios?
>
> I'd go buy one of these http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html, except
> it won't work for a fixed-gear because you can't back-pedal with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
post #4 of 4

do you still have the cable shift Bendix 2 speed for sale?  do you have the shift lever?

Keith

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment