One Wheel Too Much?!

ulyssesnitrate9

Guest
Ok, well I woke up at 7:30 today and rushed to get to the South Shore
Train, which travels between Chicago and Indiana. I arrived there just
5 minutes before it was to depart and, well, here's the complaint I
filed.

Your rule specifically states "No Bicycles", and I understand this, as
they are too large and take up seat/aisle space.

I was told I couldn't bring my unicycle on the train back to Indiana
from the Randolph Station this morning for the 8:45 departure. Both
the female conductor and a gentleman wearing a NICTD staff shirt I
talked to said I needed to put the unicycle in a bag and were not clear
at all about what the actual problem was with having a unicycle on
board. They literally just shook their heads and mumbled.

This unicycle is the size of typical large suitcases I have seen on the
train before and could have been placed next to me and taken up the
space of a small child or stowed in the overhead rack without a
problem. What bothers me even more though is that this was the train
that rarely fills up on it's way back to South Bend at such an early
time in the morning (everyone is commuting into Chicago).

If you could please tell me what problems one wheel can cause, I'd
appreciate it. Also, I would like to know where I can pick up a
unicycle bag, as I wasn't aware there is a market for them since
they're portable and light-weight.

Thanks for your time and I apologize you have to read through my
frustration,

Brendan Leahy
---
Talk about getting ****** off, I felt the urge to bunny hop on these
fools til they were no more. I didn't though, I put on my Jesus face
and condemned them to hell.

--
ulyssesnitrate9
http://www.usenet.com

Did they even let you on the train?

I have this problem with buses sometimes.

Sometimes the driver won't let me on, sometimes he will make me put it
up on the wheel well, sometimes I ignore him and just sit down when I'm
in a less than great mood.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com

hey man i take my unicycle on the metra train in/out of chicago all the
time (even during rush hour). I just walk on like its no big deal and
put it between my legs so it don't take up much room. I always were
sunglasses so i don't make eye contact with any of the conductors and
just pretend like its perfectly normal to be carrying a unicycle onto
the train.

--
chicagounicycle

Join the Chicago Unicycle Community:
http://www.myspace.com/chicagounicycle
http://www.usenet.com

A few weeks ago I brought my unicycle onto a NYC bound train, built an
entire CF seat right there had all my tools and hardware allover the
place. I was just getting done as the train got crowded and had to
kinda keep the uni threaded between my legs. Anyway I had no problem
talking it on the train. On on a crazier note, on the train home I had
to sorta sit with it in the standing section as there was no seats def
got the conductors eye, and he ended up trying to ride it right on the
train. At first he wanted to bet... I figured... friendly train man
making a bet, he prolly knows how to ride..... nope:D . smach right
onto his ass, I almost fell over laughing as everyon in that car turned
to see what the toolbelt against teh floor sound was all about.....
there were a few gasps of couriousity as they saw the conductor lying
on his back, ahhaha:p

I had my camera and should of had the whole event on film, but I didnt
turn it on as were his whishes, poor fellow would rather keep his job
on the train than get fired and ride uni all day haha.

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com

What size unicycle did you try to carry on?

You can find duffel bags or stuff bags big enough to fit a trials or
muni. A 29er will require some hunting and experimentation to find a
suitable duffel. A Coker will require a custom bag.

You probably don't even need a bag big enough to fit the entire
unicycle. Just something that will fit the wheel with the cranks and
pedals. You can leave the saddle sticking out of the top.

Go searching at a military surplus store or an outdoor gear store.
Should find a good selection of duffels and stuff bags.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com

I get that feeling when i'm traveling with my unicycle buddies on the
trains here. For some stupid reason, they consider a unicycle to be a
bike when i tell them a unicycle doesn't have a chain (excluding a
giraffe) or handlebars. :confused:

Also my lady friend 51" monster is considered an obstruction on the
trains and is my friends TX which is considered a break in the rules.
:mad: :mad:

--
Hazmat

*The Hazmat Poll*: *Please vote.
*http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458
*Hazmats Unicycle Design/Creation competition:D. :D
*http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60806
*poll *http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62030
http://www.usenet.com

ulyssesnitrate9 wrote:
> Ok, well I woke up at 7:30 today and rushed to get to the South Shore
> Train, which travels between Chicago and Indiana. I arrived there just
> 5 minutes before it was to depart and, well, here's the complaint I
> filed.
>
> Your rule specifically states "No Bicycles", and I understand this, as
> they are too large and take up seat/aisle space.
>
> I was told I couldn't bring my unicycle on the train back to Indiana
> from the Randolph Station this morning for the 8:45 departure. Both
> the female conductor and a gentleman wearing a NICTD staff shirt I
> talked to said I needed to put the unicycle in a bag and were not clear
> at all about what the actual problem was with having a unicycle on
> board. They literally just shook their heads and mumbled.
>
> This unicycle is the size of typical large suitcases I have seen on the
> train before and could have been placed next to me and taken up the
> space of a small child or stowed in the overhead rack without a
> problem. What bothers me even more though is that this was the train
> that rarely fills up on it's way back to South Bend at such an early
> time in the morning (everyone is commuting into Chicago).
>
> If you could please tell me what problems one wheel can cause, I'd
> appreciate it. Also, I would like to know where I can pick up a
> unicycle bag, as I wasn't aware there is a market for them since
> they're portable and light-weight.
>
> Thanks for your time and I apologize you have to read through my
> frustration,
>
> Brendan Leahy
> ---
> Talk about getting ****** off, I felt the urge to bunny hop on these
> fools til they were no more. I didn't though, I put on my Jesus face
> and condemned them to hell.

Yep, I had a similar experience on the bus here once - the driver
insisted it was "illegal" to bring it on the bus (his words). He may
have just been talking about the company rules, but it was still a daft
thing to say.

I'm not sure there's much to do about it; people don't really think
about -why- bikes aren't allowed (bulky, oily gears and chain) on
public transport. They just don't need do think in terms of "why",
it's always "what" - is that a bike? Then it's not allowed. So when
they see a unicycle, the nearest thing to it is a bike, and bikes
aren't allowed. They don't consider why. Also, some people are just
awkward ;)

I wonder if they'd allow a folding bike, which would typically take up
just as much space (if not more) as a 20" uni and be covered with oil.

I also once got -thrown out- of a sandwich shop on the grounds that a
bicycle was unhygienic. My friend pointed out that the unicycle tyres
were probably cleaner than our shoes, since we wear our shoes in public
lavatories whereas the unis only get ridden in the street. This didn't
help our case - trying to be "smart" with people doesn't usually do you
any favours :) My main objection was that they were so rude about it.
Ironically I later found out that they regularly park a bike in the
front of the shop overnight.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com

I havnt had any problem with taking my uni on buses or coches. some
drivers say "no bikes aload" but I just ignore them asuming they are
trying to be funny and they dont seem to mind. once a driver told me to
take it off the seat, that was the closest I have been to being told I
cant take it on the bus, It had everyone laughing though because he
said "can you take that of the seat please because its bound to have
oil or grease on the chain"

My dad has taken a 12ft long prejecter screen on the london underground
once, If he can do that I think you should be able to take a uni.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

you may be lucky but you make your own luck

*)--360--O* The Unispin Elite

)---'O, Crankflip
my 'latest video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MaO3NgJ4bW8)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'video tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
http://www.usenet.com

Remove the seat post, take a sport bag, but the wheel in it, put the
seat post it in. Done.

Not sure it fit, let me try it right now. Brb 5 min

--
Émile5
http://www.usenet.com

I brought my uni on the minneopolis to Chicago train, and the he train
from Chicago to South Bend, IN with now problem. Just like Chicago
Unicycle says, walk on like it's nothing out of the ordinary.

--
Mullethunter
http://www.usenet.com

take off both pedals and the seat post it gets realllll small after you
do that. depending on what the unicycle size is.

--
heelnipper

quote-

i'm not bossing him around,i'm just telling him what to do.....
http://www.usenet.com