or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

post #1 of 15
I lost my Krypto (not Kryptonite) U lock key, and my nice bike is
locked to a metal yard chair through the front wheel and frame.

Any specific advice on the best way to undo this Krypto U lock is much
appreciated.

In some posts on this newsgroup I've found some suggestions: a blow
torch, a circular saw, a Bic pen.

Thanks for any specific suggestions on blow torch types (acetylene or
propane), models, prices, etc., ditto for circular saws. I'll try the
Bic pen technique.
post #2 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

"Dr. Colombes" <DrColombes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I lost my Krypto (not Kryptonite) U lock key, and my nice bike is
> locked to a metal yard chair through the front wheel and frame.
>
> Any specific advice on the best way to undo this Krypto U lock is much
> appreciated.
>
> In some posts on this newsgroup I've found some suggestions: a blow
> torch, a circular saw, a Bic pen.

Contact the lock manufacturer? I'm guessing there would be some hoops to
jump through to prove that you are the legal owner but they would have
master keys, serial numbers and records?
post #3 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

Dr. Colombes <DrColombes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for any specific suggestions on blow torch types (acetylene or
> propane), models, prices, etc., ditto for circular saws. I'll try the
> Bic pen technique.

My answer would be an angle grinder with a cutting disc. But then, I'll
take any excuse to pull out the angle grinder and have at. Sparks and
Ozone and Metal Shrieking, Oh My!

--
Dane Buson - sigdane@unixbigots.org
When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.

"Dane Buson" <dane@unseen.edu> wrote in message
> Dr. Colombes <DrColombes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for any specific suggestions on blow torch types (acetylene or
>> propane), models, prices, etc., ditto for circular saws. I'll try the
>> Bic pen technique.

> My answer would be an angle grinder with a cutting disc. But then, I'll
> take any excuse to pull out the angle grinder and have at. Sparks and
> Ozone and Metal Shrieking, Oh My!
>
> --
> Dane Buson - sigdane@unixbigots.org
> When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.
> -- Winston Churchill, on formal declarations of war

Ditto the angle grinder. But a gas cutting torch would work pretty good too.

The smells of welding, gotta love it.
They won't make a key for you either. At least so far I haven't heard of
them doing it for anyone yet.
Another possiblity is to take the bike, chair and all into your local
locksmith's store/office and see if they can pick the lock for you.
If you still have one of the older, before the recall locks, you can use a
BIC pen on it to unlock it.
post #5 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

I have done it with an oxy-acetylene torch--it takes a few seconds to
actually make the cut. I could do it with a portable grinder. That would
take a few minutes. Harbor Freight sells a pretty good grinder for under
$20. You COULD do it with a Dremel or similar, but that would take some
time (15-20 minutes, maybe.

It is said that thieves can break a U-lock with an automotive scissor jack.
If they can do it, so can you. If you can get your hands on some dry ice,
you might be able to cool the shackle, and then break it with a big hammer.

At our house, all the spare keys are kept in one place. Nothing adds to
your panic more than not knowing where to look.
post #6 of 15

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I have done it with an oxy-acetylene torch--it takes a few seconds to
> actually make the cut. I could do it with a portable grinder. That would
> take a few minutes. Harbor Freight sells a pretty good grinder for under
> $20. You COULD do it with a Dremel or similar, but that would take some
> time (15-20 minutes, maybe.

I did one this year (donated bike, no key) with a Dremel tool with a
reinforced cutoff disc. I don't remember exactly how long it took --
something like 5 min.
post #7 of 15

"Peter Cole" <peter_cole@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> I have done it with an oxy-acetylene torch--it takes a few seconds to
>> actually make the cut. I could do it with a portable grinder. That
>> would take a few minutes. Harbor Freight sells a pretty good grinder for
>> under $20. You COULD do it with a Dremel or similar, but that would take
>> some time (15-20 minutes, maybe.

> I did one this year (donated bike, no key) with a Dremel tool with a
> reinforced cutoff disc. I don't remember exactly how long it took --
> something like 5 min.

I remember doing that with a D\remel tool and cut off discs ages ago.
I think my hand grinder with a cut off disc on it could probably eat though
a lock like that in like 15 seconds or so.
It makes for a spectacular shower of sparks too, so wear eye protection.
Yes the thieves very likely use these same things too.
I remember reading about a guy in London, UK who used to go around and use a
high speed portable grinder on "the boot" when the police would lock the car
up for parking violations or something.

The jack method is to overwlem the lock mechanism latch piece. What they do
is hook up a hydraulic jack, and or use a sissor mechanisim too, to
pull/push the end off the lock.
The newest locks now use things that make it harder to do this technique
though.

I think the most unique thief trick was where some place in New York City,
if you lock your bike to a sign post to go inside a business. A thief will
run up, pull the sign post out of the sidewalk, and out ot the lock, and
ride away in a matter of seconds. So when you chain or lock your bike to
something, make sure it isn't moveable too.
post #8 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

"Earl Bollinger" clip) A thief will run up, pull the sign post out of the
sidewalk, and out ot the lock, and ride away in a matter of seconds. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In order to protect the front wheel, it is common to put it beside the
frame/rear wheel, and then lock the stack to a post. Pulling the post out
would still leave the bike in unrideable condition, though the thief could
carry it off.
post #9 of 15

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I have done it with an oxy-acetylene torch--it takes a few seconds to
> actually make the cut. I could do it with a portable grinder. That would
> take a few minutes. Harbor Freight sells a pretty good grinder for under
> $20. You COULD do it with a Dremel or similar, but that would take some
> time (15-20 minutes, maybe.

I rented a grinder and managed to cut a Kryptonite lock in about 2
minutes. I suspect I would have done it in under a minute but it was
the first time I had used one.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
post #10 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

On 2 Jul 2006 21:47:34 -0700, "Dr. Colombes" <DrColombes@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I lost my Krypto (not Kryptonite) U lock key, and my nice bike is
>locked to a metal yard chair through the front wheel and frame.
>
>Any specific advice on the best way to undo this Krypto U lock is much
>appreciated.
>
>In some posts on this newsgroup I've found some suggestions: a blow
>torch, a circular saw, a Bic pen.
>
>Thanks for any specific suggestions on blow torch types (acetylene or
>propane), models, prices, etc., ditto for circular saws. I'll try the
>Bic pen technique.

Give your local Fire Department a call. Most departments will render
this kind of assistance on a non-emergency basis and they have the
tools to remove the lock in a few seconds.
post #11 of 15

Dr. Colombes wrote:
> I lost my Krypto (not Kryptonite) U lock key, and my nice bike is
> locked to a metal yard chair through the front wheel and frame.

In reference to the Krypto not Kryptonite you might want a Kryptonite
if you are prone to loosing things since they will give you a copy free
for life.
Biketiresdirect.com is where I got mine. Alot cheaper than in Canada I
might say and you can send it as a gift so it gets no duty.
They were very nice to send me an extra bracket free when mine broke ,
and free shipping so all round the lock should last a life time and no
key worrys. The third key comes with a light for night use.
Oh yeah they also insure the bike for different amounts. not bad.
post #12 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

> I rented a grinder and managed to cut a Kryptonite lock in about 2
> minutes. I suspect I would have done it in under a minute but it was
> the first time I had used one.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Not if the whole thing is hardened. There are different qualities of
hardness and the bombproof one, New Yorker 3000, would not act that
way.
I have the standare NYer for heavy theft areas and my bike gets
guaranteed for $2500. Overkill and 4lbs heavy but it is a huge
deterrent. YOu get use to the weight like everything else. I could
lose 5 lbs anyway.
biketiresdirect.com is where I got it for just $64US. Canadian money
would make that alot less now too.
post #13 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

<SMNate@gmail.com> wrote: Not if the whole thing is hardened. There are
different qualities of hardness and the bombproof one, New Yorker 3000,
would not act that way. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hard steel is easy to grind.
post #14 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

"DougC" wrote: What you want to do is go to a tool rental place, and ask
for a "gas-powered handheld concrete saw".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with the "handheld" part.
post #15 of 15

Re: Lost Krypto U lock key; need advice on how to free bike

"nash" wrote:in message
>I did not say hard steel Steel is hard. Lock makers know that. I said
>there are different grades of hardened steel talk to a bike lock expert.
>All sides can be hardened enough to bebombproof. Have you tried sawing
>through a New Yorker 3000. I thought not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right. I have not tried sawing through a New Yorker 3000. I will
take your word that it would be nearly impossible.

Now--my question to you: have you tried grinding through one? I thought
not. I'll bet you that I can do it in short order with my $20 Harbor
Freight hand grinder. Loser pays for the lock.

> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> <SMNate@gmail.com> wrote: Not if the whole thing is hardened. There
>> are
>> different qualities of hardness and the bombproof one, New Yorker 3000,
>> would not act that way. (clip)
>> Hard steel is easy to grind.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home