unagi sauce... anyone?

[email protected] wrote:
> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.

Its just soy sauce, mirin & sake simmered until thickened. Add sugar per
your taste. For extra flavor add bones and other parts from the eels.

George wrote on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:32:19 -0400:

G> [email protected] wrote:
??>> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.
??>>
G> Its just soy sauce, mirin & sake simmered until thickened.
G> Add sugar per your taste. For extra flavor add bones and
G> other parts from the eels.

And use it to baste cooking eels, adding the juices to the
sauce for 30 years or more (I am told!).

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton wrote:
> George wrote on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:32:19 -0400:
>
> G> [email protected] wrote:
> ??>> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.
> ??>>
> G> Its just soy sauce, mirin & sake simmered until thickened.
> G> Add sugar per your taste. For extra flavor add bones and
> G> other parts from the eels.
>
> And use it to baste cooking eels, adding the juices to the sauce for 30
> years or more (I am told!).
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

For sure, they say the sauce they use in the really good yakitori places
tastes good for the same reason.

George wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.
>>

> Its just soy sauce, mirin & sake simmered until thickened. Add sugar per
> your taste. For extra flavor add bones and other parts from the eels.

I wonder if that's the name i have been searching for, i had a japanese
cook book once that had a sauce i still routinely make that is equal
parts, sesame oil, soy sauce and saki, i vaguely recall it as "Onami"
and very good it is to, and can be tarted up with garlic, ginger, hot
pepper etc. and used as a dipping sauce, marinade, cooking sauce.
Especially good with pork IMO.
--
JL

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.

here you go.

Dimitri

Kabayaki Sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
1/4 cup sugar

Pour all ingredients in a pan and then stir the mixture well. Put the pan on low
heat and simmer for a few minutes.

Remove from the heat and cool the mixture. Store the sauce in a clean bottle in
the refrigerator or let cool to room temperature before serving.

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> looking to make some unagi sauce, I love the stuff.
>>>

>> Its just soy sauce, mirin & sake simmered until thickened. Add sugar
>> per your taste. For extra flavor add bones and other parts from the eels.
>>

> I wonder if that's the name i have been searching for, i had a japanese
> cook book once that had a sauce i still routinely make that is equal
> parts, sesame oil, soy sauce and saki, i vaguely recall it as "Onami"
> and very good it is to, and can be tarted up with garlic, ginger, hot
> pepper etc. and used as a dipping sauce, marinade, cooking sauce.
> Especially good with pork IMO.
> --
> JL

Don't know, "unagi" is the Japanese word for freshwater eel. Typically
you reserve the bones & head (some also use the skin) and simmer that
with the other ingredients which really enhances the flavor. You
butterfly the eel and grill it basting it with the sauce.

You can pretty much tinker around with soy sauce/sake/sesame oil etc
combinations to get an "Asian" taste.

If you like different sauces especially for pork try tonkatsu sauce.
"Tonkatsu" is the Japanese word for a pork cutlet that is coated in
panko and deep fried. Tonkatsu sauce has both tomato and apple in it.