Question

Cubit

Guest
IMHO, low carb works down to a plateau. To get below that requires some
serious portion control and even calorie counting.

"Martin Koolhoven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hvjgbr.g2awun1be2wu7N%[email protected]...
> I'm on low carb for about three years now. I've lost 18 kilo's, most of
> them in the first half year. After that half year I found a way by
> controlling the carbs to keep a steady weight. In the proces of finding
> out I gained two kilo's but after that I was steady as a rock. But last
> month something started to change. I started to gain weight again. I
> decided to go etreme low carb again, but still I gained weight. What am
> I to do? I've gained 6,5 kilo's in a month!
>
> --
> gr,
> Martin Koolhoven
> www.nbeetjeverliefd.nl
> http://tinyurl.com/yqj28g

I'm on low carb for about three years now. I've lost 18 kilo's, most of
them in the first half year. After that half year I found a way by
controlling the carbs to keep a steady weight. In the proces of finding
out I gained two kilo's but after that I was steady as a rock. But last
month something started to change. I started to gain weight again. I
decided to go etreme low carb again, but still I gained weight. What am
I to do? I've gained 6,5 kilo's in a month!

--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
www.nbeetjeverliefd.nl
http://tinyurl.com/yqj28g

Try eating less and doing some exercise.

"Martin Koolhoven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hvjgbr.g2awun1be2wu7N%[email protected]...
> I'm on low carb for about three years now. I've lost 18 kilo's, most of
> them in the first half year. After that half year I found a way by
> controlling the carbs to keep a steady weight. In the proces of finding
> out I gained two kilo's but after that I was steady as a rock. But last
> month something started to change. I started to gain weight again. I
> decided to go etreme low carb again, but still I gained weight. What am
> I to do? I've gained 6,5 kilo's in a month!
>
> --
> gr,
> Martin Koolhoven
> www.nbeetjeverliefd.nl
> http://tinyurl.com/yqj28g

JC
Hi,
I assumed you were gone.

Cubit
190/174/160

"jcderkoeing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Try eating less and doing some exercise.
>

> "Martin Koolhoven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1hvjgbr.g2awun1be2wu7N%[email protected]...
>> I'm on low carb for about three years now. I've lost 18 kilo's, most of
>> them in the first half year. After that half year I found a way by
>> controlling the carbs to keep a steady weight. In the proces of finding
>> out I gained two kilo's but after that I was steady as a rock. But last
>> month something started to change. I started to gain weight again. I
>> decided to go etreme low carb again, but still I gained weight. What am
>> I to do? I've gained 6,5 kilo's in a month!
>>
>> --
>> gr,
>> Martin Koolhoven
>> www.nbeetjeverliefd.nl
>> http://tinyurl.com/yqj28g

I'm not posting as much because I'm involved in several projects at the
moment, but I still read some of the posts when I have time.

news:[email protected]...

>>> http://tinyurl.com/yqj28g

Martin Koolhoven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> IMHO, low carb works down to a plateau. To get below that requires
>> some serious portion control and even calorie counting.

> But how come i start *gaining* weight?

Because you're eating more calories than you burn.
Low carb isn't magic. Calories still count even though some people don't
have to count calories.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Jeri <[email protected]> wrote:

> Martin Koolhoven <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> IMHO, low carb works down to a plateau. To get below that requires
> >> some serious portion control and even calorie counting.

> > But how come i start *gaining* weight?

> Because you're eating more calories than you burn.
> Low carb isn't magic. Calories still count even though some people don't
> have to count calories.

But how can I suddenly start gaing weight, while nothing changed in my
diet?

--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:14:44 +0100, [email protected]AMSHIT (Martin
Koolhoven) wrote:

> Jeri <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Martin Koolhoven <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > But how come i start *gaining* weight?

> > Because you're eating more calories than you burn.
> > Low carb isn't magic. Calories still count even though some people don't
> > have to count calories.

> But how can I suddenly start gaing weight, while nothing changed in my
> diet?

If you are absolutely sure nothing has changed as far as your diet,
I'd start looking at things that *have* changed.

I hurt my knee a week or so ago. Just as a result of that, I gained
(and lost) ten pounds in one week, and my BG has been through the
roof, and is only just now coming back down.

If you said how old you are, I missed it. There are all kinds of
possibilities -- injury, age, hormones, diet (are you sure you aren't
eating more?) -- but you are the only one who might know what applies.
Good luck to you -- I can imagine you are pretty frustrated right now.
--
BlueBrooke
254/236/135 -- 01 Jan 2007

Oh, something changed! Maybe you had a round of antibiotics that killed off
your good gut bacteria...maybe you had the GE diet like I did
(gastrointestinal virus)...maybe you started drinking wine....something DID
change!

It's not magic that you're gaining.

Pat in TX

> JC
> Hi,
> I assumed you were gone.
>
> Cubit

If you want to talk to him, okay, but PLEASE don't quote him. Otherwise, I'd
never know he existed.

Pat in TX

Martin Koolhoven wrote:
> I'm on low carb for about three years now. I've lost 18 kilo's, most of
> them in the first half year. After that half year I found a way by
> controlling the carbs to keep a steady weight. In the proces of finding
> out I gained two kilo's but after that I was steady as a rock. But last
> month something started to change. I started to gain weight again. I
> decided to go etreme low carb again, but still I gained weight. What am
> I to do? I've gained 6,5 kilo's in a month!

I've read all the thread replies so far.

I occasionally "mysteriously" gain weight. Up to six to eight pounds. By
holding steady, watching carefully what I eat and making sure I
exercise, it eventually goes away about as mysteriously as it piled up.

One of the things I might suggest would be to go and see your doctor.
Who knows what things happen that throw you off, and some of these
things could be medical.

However, I have no real idea of what medical problems to flag or pay
attention to as sources of weight gain.

If some folks share their experiences or readings about medically
induced weight gain similar to yours, then you would be in better shape
to invest the money in a doctor's visit.

Whatever is going on with you appears to be different from whatever it
was that sometimes goes on with me.

Hope you can find someone with similar experience who can give you some
pointers.

Jim

Martin Koolhoven wrote:
:: Jeri <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Martin Koolhoven <[email protected]> wrote:
:::: Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
::::
::::: IMHO, low carb works down to a plateau. To get below that
::::: requires some serious portion control and even calorie counting.
::::
:::: But how come i start *gaining* weight?
:::
::: Because you're eating more calories than you burn.
::: Low carb isn't magic. Calories still count even though some people
::: don't have to count calories.
::
:: But how can I suddenly start gaing weight, while nothing changed in
:: my diet?

People who gain weight probably don't think that anything changed...it just
happens over time. You become a bit less active and eat a bit more....given
time, you gain weight.

Now, a sudden gain of weight is something else entirely. On LC, one can
regain water weight very quickly *if* carbs are reintrodued into the diet.
So, if one of your typical foods is all of a sudden carb-loaded....that
seems unlikely, but OTOH so does sudden weight gain....

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:37:25 +0100, [email protected]AMSHIT (Martin
Koolhoven) wrote:

>BlueBrooke <.@.> wrote:
>
>> If you said how old you are, I missed it.

>Almost 38.

Check your ankles and feet for swelling.

You could be experiencing heart failure and not know it.

[email protected] (Martin Koolhoven) wrote:
> Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > IMHO, low carb works down to a plateau. To get below that requires some
> > serious portion control and even calorie counting.

Look up "leptin reset". If your weight is not far from ideal and
you have been keeping your carbs too low that can interfere
with further loss. One simple way to handle this problem is a
switch from low carb to low fat for 2-3 weeks then a switch back
to low carb again. Switch plans temporarily without ever going
off of some plan.

> But how come i start *gaining* weight?

6.5 KG is more than normal water swing. My water swing is half
that and folks seem to think my water swing is large.

If you have increased portions without realizing it, it could be new
fat. Very unlikely.

If you have done a single carb-up it could be water. If so staying
low carb will make the water going away.

There are two big thins I can think of that can cause large water
gain:

1) Some medications especially steriods.

2) Food intolerance. Have you recently added a specific food back
to your diet? It would likely be a food that you ate regularly before
you started low carbing. Maybe you recently started eating low
carb bread and you are intolerant to a specific grain without
knowing it. Folks who lose more than 5 KG during Atkins Induction
often lose so much water from an intolerance IMO.