can anyone post a good french onion soup recipe(no canned or readymade broth!!)

CliffMacgillivray

Guest
I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
am finding online.
Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
here?

"CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

cyberSQUAT wrote:

> "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> > am finding online.
> > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> > here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

--
Best
Greg

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cybercat wrote:
>> "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes
>>> I am finding online.
>>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>>> post here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

> Don't forget the brandy and white wine! It really adds something to the
> soup.
>
> kili

yeah, don't forget the brandy and the wine, dumbass.
:)

Thanks, kili.

cybercat wrote:
> "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>> am finding online.
>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
>> here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Please excuse the *****y comments of the previous poster and try this
one by Julia Child-

Title: French Onion Soup

3 tb Butter
1 tb Light olive oil or fresh
-peanut oil
8 c Thinly sliced onions (2 1/2
-pounds)
1/2 ts Each salt and sugar (sugar
-helps the onions to brown)
2 tb Flour
2 1/2 qt Homemade beef stock, (see
-following recipe for
-stock), at
Least 2 cups of which
-should be hot
4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
-Armagnac, or other good
-brandy
1 c Dry white French vermouth

The following three recipes are from the book by Julia Child that I
was raving about the other day. They actually produce two dishes;
the basic butterflied chicken recipe can stand alone or be used as
the starting point for all sorts of variations++the Mustard Coated
Chicken is just one of the possible take-offs using it. It's nicely
hoity-toity in appearance and tastes great.

This is certainly one of the all-time favorites. The canned and
packaged onion soups I've tried have been very good, and the only way
to better them is for you to have your own beautiful beef stock.
However, bought onion soup will benefit from the flavor additions
suggested here. TIMING: For most delicious results, you want a slow
simmer for 2 3/4 to 3 hours.

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT SUGGESTED:

A food processor with slicing blade or a hand slicer is useful for the
onions; a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan with cover for onion
cooking and simmering.

Browning the onions - 40 minutes. Set the saucepan over moderate
heat with the butter and oil; when the butter has melted, stir in the
onions, cover the pan, and cook slowly until tender and translucent,
about 10 minutes. Blend in the salt and sugar, raise heat to
moderately high, and let the onions brown, stirring frequently until
they are dark walnut color, 25 to 30 minutes.

Simmering the soup. Sprinkle in the flour and cook slowly, stirring,
for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool a moment,
then whisk in 2 cups of hot stock. When well blended, bring to the
simmer, adding the rest of the stock, the Cognac or brandy, and the
vermouth. Cover loosely, and simmer very slowly 1 1/2 hours, adding a
little water if the liquid reduces too much. Correct seasoning.

Ahead-of-time note: May be prepared in advance; chill uncovered, then
cover and refrigerate or freeze.

Serving. Serve the soup as it is, accompanying it with French bread
and a bowl of grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese, or gratine it as
follows. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts, serving 6.

VARIATION:

ONION SOUP GRATINEED: When onion soup is a main course, bake it in
the oven with cheese and toasted French bread, and bring it all
crusty and bubbling to the table. A big salad, more bread and
cheese, and fruit could finish the meal,; accompanied by a bottle or
two of fruity white wine, like a sauvignon blanc or even a
gewurztraminer.

MANUFACTURING NOTE: Be sure you have a homemade type of bread with
body here because flimsy loaves will disintegrate into a slimy mass;
a recipe for your own homemade French bread also follows.

12 or more Hard-Toasted French Bread Rounds (follows, too) [I left it
out. S.C.] 1 to 2 ounces Swiss cheese, very thinly sliced Ingredients
for the preceding French Onion Soup, heated 3/4 to 1 cup finely
grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT SUGGESTED: A lightly buttered 3-quart ovenproof
casserole or baking dish about 3 inches deep - good-looking if
possible. Assembling and baking - about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven
to 425F and set the rack in the lower middle level. Line the bottom
of the casserole with half the slices of toasted French bread, and
spread over them the sliced cheese. Ladle on the hot onion soup and
float over them a layer of toasted bread, topping with the grated
cheese. At once set in the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 30
minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned nicely. Serve as
soon as possible, if you dally too long, the toast topping may sink
into the soup.

From “The Way to Cook”, Julia Child, Alfred Knopf, 1989. ISBN
0-394-53264-3

On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> cyberSQUAT wrote:
> > "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> > >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> > > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> > > am finding online.
> > > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> > > here?

> > Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
tons.

Sheldon

cybercat wrote:
> "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes
>> I am finding online.
>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>> post here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Don't forget the brandy and white wine! It really adds something to the
soup.

kili

> >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> > am finding online.
> > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> > here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. OK, not really, but it's
close.

Julia Child's recipe is absolutely heavenly. It depends on a good beef
stock, which you must make yourself of course.

--
Peter Aitken

"Peter A" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>> > am finding online.
>> > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>> > post
>> > here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.
>>

> That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. OK, not really, but it's
> close.

Then you live in a much more intelligent world than I do.

> Julia Child's recipe is absolutely heavenly. It depends on a good beef
> stock, which you must make yourself of course.

INGREDIENTS
a.. 1/4 cup butter
b.. 3 onions, thinly sliced
c.. 1 teaspoon white sugar
d.. 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
e.. 2 1/2 cups water
f.. 1/2 cup red wine
g.. 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
h.. 1 French baguette
i.. 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
Now then, genius. I see beef stock, bread, onions and
cheese. I left out the wine and butter, but many prefer to
do without those. So what is left? Flour?

Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:

Title: French Onion Soup
Categories: Soups, Ceideburg 2
Yield: 1 servings

3 tb Butter
1 tb Light olive oil or fresh
-peanut oil
8 c Thinly sliced onions (2 1/2
-pounds)
1/2 ts Each salt and sugar (sugar
-helps the onions to brown)
2 tb Flour
2 1/2 qt Homemade beef stock, (see
-following recipe for
-stock), at
Least 2 cups of which
-should be hot
4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
-Armagnac, or other good
-brandy
1 c Dry white French vermouth

I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
and some other oils that are not really necessary.

So you like to add some fat and alcohol to your FOS.

Excuse me. It is still basically beef stock, onions,
croutons and bread.

CliffMacgillivray <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

If you want to make it like they do in France, see a recent post of mine
at
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/c461fe1e82aa85c1>.

Victor

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> cyberSQUAT wrote:
>> > "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> > Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

>> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

> Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
> charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
> tons.

You would be the biggest ass in the group, you ugly, smelly old
man.

French Onion Soup Gratinee
1/1999

Tie the parsley and thyme sprigs together with kitchen twine so they will be
easy to retrieve from the soup pot. Slicing the baguette on the bias will
yield slices shaped to fill the mouths of the bowls.

Serves 6 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 medium red onions (about 3 pounds), sliced thin
Table salt
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned)
1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth (canned)
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 sprigs fresh parsley leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Ground black pepper
1 baguette , cut on the bias into 3/4-inch slices (2 slices per
serving)
4 1/2 ounces Swiss cheese , sliced 1/16-inch thick
1 1/2 ounces grated Asiago cheese (about 3/4 cup)

1. Melt butter in large soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add
sliced onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to coat onions thoroughly with
butter. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are reduced and syrupy and
inside of pot is coated with very deep brown crust, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir
in the chicken and beef broths, red wine, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf,
scraping pot bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, and bring to
simmer. Simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes, and discard herbs. Stir
in balsamic vinegar and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. (Can be
cooled to room temperature and refrigerated in airtight container up to 2
days; return to simmer before finishing soup with croutons and cheese).

2. For the Crusts: Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat
the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread out on a rimmed baking sheet and
bake, flipping once, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove the
bread from the oven. Turn the oven to broil.

3. Set heat-safe soup bowls or crocks on rimmed baking sheet and fill each
with about 1 1/2 cups soup. Top each bowl with two toasted baguette slices
and divide Swiss cheese slices, laying them in a single layer, if possible,
on bread. Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons grated Asiago
cheese and broil until well browned and bubbly, 7 to 10 minutes. Cool 5
minutes and serve.

STEP BY STEP: Slicing Onions for French Onion Soup
1. Cut off the tip of the blossom end (opposite the root end).Cut the
onion in half lengthwise pole to pole.
2. Peel off the papery outer layer of skin. With the flat side facing
down, cut each half in half lengthwise.

3. Holding two quarter pieces together, cut crosswise into 1_8-inch
thick slices.
4. When you get close to the root end, flip each piece over separately
on the other flat side and continue to slice.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:51:54 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> "CliffMacgillivray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>>> am finding online.
>>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
>>> here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.
>>

>Please excuse the *****y comments of the previous poster and try this
>one by Julia Child-
>

> Title: French Onion Soup

Julia's recipes for onion soup are so good. I use the one from her
cookbook Julia Child and More Company. It is really pretty easy to
fix, especially if you caramelized the onions in the crockpot.

Christine

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>
> Title: French Onion Soup

> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
> -Armagnac, or other good
> -brandy
> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>
>I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>and some other oils that are not really necessary.

Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.

Try it sometime, if you haven't already.

Christine

"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message

> French Onion Soup Gratinee

> 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned)
> 1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth (canned)

and you are offering this as an alternative to
Julia Child for a person who specifically asked
"...for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
am finding online."

Good judgement, fella.

pavane

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>>
>> Title: French Onion Soup

>> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
>> -Armagnac, or other good
>> -brandy
>> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>>
>>I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>>and some other oils that are not really necessary.

> Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
> or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.
>
> Try it sometime, if you haven't already.

I believe I will, thank you.

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>> Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>>
>> Title: French Onion Soup

>> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
>> -Armagnac, or other good
>> -brandy
>> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>>
>> I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>> and some other oils that are not really necessary.

> Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
> or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.
>
> Try it sometime, if you haven't already.
>
> Christine

Yet another reason I have this person in my k/f. Julia's recipe rocks and I
normally don't care for french onion soup.

Jill

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:57:14 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Panties in a wad *and* a lame recipe to boot. You oughta post
that recipe to cooks.com (minus the 'dumbass' - that's already
implied if you're using that website).

-sw

On 17-Apr-2007, CliffMacgillivray <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

May company, now a part of Macy's, had a chain of departments stores in St.
Louis until recently name Famous-Barr. In-store restaurants offered a
French Onion Soup that was a St. Louis favorite. The following is a good
home version of that soup.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Famous-Barr's French Onion Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

5 pounds unpeeled onions
1/2 cup butter -- (1 stick)
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
1 bay leaf
7 cans beef broth -- (about 16-ounce) divided (recommended
Swanson's) 1 cup dry white wine, optional
3/4 cup all-purpose or instant flour (such as Wondra)
Caramel coloring or Kitchen Bouquet -- optional
2 teaspoons salt -- or french baguettes, optional
Swiss or Gruyere cheese -- optional

Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick, preferably in a food processor.

Melt butter in a 6-quart (or larger) stockpot. Add onions; cook, uncovered,
over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (The long cooking
time makes the onions mellow and sweet.)

Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; saute over low heat 10 minutes more,
stirring frequently.

Pour in 6 cans broth and wine. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Dissolve
flour in remaining 1 can broth. Stir into boiling soup. Reduce heat and
simmer slowly for 2 hours.

Adjust color to a rich brown with caramel coloring, season with salt.
Refrigerate overnight.

To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top. If desired, pour into
ovenproof crocks or bowls. Top with a slice of breat and a sprinkling of
grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles,
about 5 minutes.

Leftover soup can be frozen.

Source:
"Post-Dispatch"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipegal.com/soups/Famous-BarrsFrenchOnionSoup.htm"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

cyberFLOP wrote:

> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

recipes

> >> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

> > Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
> > charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
> > tons.
> >

> You would be the biggest ass in the group, you ugly, smelly old
> man.

You dropped the ball yet AGAIN, c - FLOP...you acquit yourself generally
*very* poorly...!!!

--
Best
Greg