or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

METS??

post #1 of 3
Was riding on an exercise bike this morning in the hotel.

I gave me a ton of info, RPM, MPH, Calories, Watts...etc.

One item kept popping up that I didn't recognize: METS.

Any help?

TIA,

-Bob
post #2 of 3

Re: METS??

Hell and High Water wrote:

> Was riding on an exercise bike this morning in the hotel.
>

> I gave me a ton of info, RPM, MPH, Calories, Watts...etc.
>

> One item kept popping up that I didn't recognize: METS.
>

> Any help?
>

> TIA,
>
> -Bob

It's metabolic equivalents.

1 MET = the energy (oxygen) used by the body as you sit quietly, perhaps
while talking on the phone or reading a book. The harder your body works
during the activity, the higher the MET.

Any activity that burns 3 to 6 METs is considered moderate-intensity
physical activity. Any activity that burns > 6 METs is considered
vigorous-intensity physical activity.

Wayne
post #3 of 3

Re: METS??

In article <z98vg.20541$so3.11736@southeast.rr.com>, wpein@nc.rr.com
says...
> Hell and High Water wrote:
>
> > Was riding on an exercise bike this morning in the hotel.
> >

> > I gave me a ton of info, RPM, MPH, Calories, Watts...etc.
> >

> > One item kept popping up that I didn't recognize: METS.
> >

> > Any help?
> >

> > TIA,
> >
> > -Bob
> >

> It's metabolic equivalents.
>
> 1 MET = the energy (oxygen) used by the body as you sit quietly, perhaps
> while talking on the phone or reading a book. The harder your body works
> during the activity, the higher the MET.
>
> Any activity that burns 3 to 6 METs is considered moderate-intensity
> physical activity. Any activity that burns > 6 METs is considered
> vigorous-intensity physical activity.

I seem to recall around 8-10.

Thanks so much!

-Bob