Gas v Meths part the second

Dominic Sexton

Guest
For anybody interested the recent threads on meths v gas and make your
own stove prompted me to finally make my long intended comparison
between my MSR Pocket Rocket gas stove and the penny / Heineken can
meths stove.

I let two 500ml bottles of tap water stand overnight to ensure that they
were both at room temperature. Then for each test I first cooled the pot
(a Snow Peak titanium 600ml mug with lid) with tap water then emptied it
and poured the 500ml of room temperature water in before placing it on
the unlit stove. I started timing from when I lit the stove.

First was the Heineken meths stove - rolling boil at 6 min and 10 sec.
Second the MSR Pocket Rocket - rolling boil at 3:08.

The gas canister was a 250g butane/propane mix but only about half full.
The meths stove used about 20ml.

From cold the meths stove takes nearly two minutes before the jets start
working properly.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the meths stove given that it
is so light and inexpensive. I did however have difficulty finding some
thick wire to make the pot stand out of. After a wobbly disaster with
near boiling water going all over the place I ended up using a butchered
food can as the stand. I cut it down to about 70mm high and cut 4
rectangular holes out to allow air in to the burner.

--

Dominic Sexton

On 10 Jun, 19:54, Dominic Sexton <{[email protected]> wrote:
> For anybody interested the recent threads on meths v gas and make your
> own stove prompted me to finally make my long intended comparison
> between my MSR Pocket Rocket gas stove and the penny / Heineken can
> meths stove.
>
> I let two 500ml bottles of tap water stand overnight to ensure that they
> were both at room temperature. Then for each test I first cooled the pot
> (a Snow Peak titanium 600ml mug with lid) with tap water then emptied it
> and poured the 500ml of room temperature water in before placing it on
> the unlit stove. I started timing from when I lit the stove.
>
> First was the Heineken meths stove - rolling boil at 6 min and 10 sec.
> Second the MSR Pocket Rocket - rolling boil at 3:08.
>
> The gas canister was a 250g butane/propane mix but only about half full.
> The meths stove used about 20ml.
>
> From cold the meths stove takes nearly two minutes before the jets start
> working properly.
>
> I'm very pleased with the performance of the meths stove given that it
> is so light and inexpensive. I did however have difficulty finding some
> thick wire to make the pot stand out of. After a wobbly disaster with
> near boiling water going all over the place I ended up using a butchered
> food can as the stand. I cut it down to about 70mm high and cut 4
> rectangular holes out to allow air in to the burner.
>
> --
>
> Dominic Sexton

Hi Dominic
I tried making one of the Heineken stoves (in fact I tried several!)
but was not too impressed with what I got. How did you overcome the
seal problem between the base and the section with the jet holes? I
found that the European shaped cans have a bulge in them which it
would seem the US ones don't and I couldn't overcome the gap that that
created.

Rob

In article <[email protected]>, Rob G
<[email protected]> writes
>I tried making one of the Heineken stoves (in fact I tried several!)
>but was not too impressed with what I got. How did you overcome the
>seal problem between the base and the section with the jet holes? I
>found that the European shaped cans have a bulge in them which it
>would seem the US ones don't and I couldn't overcome the gap that that
>created.

I had that problem on all but my first attempt where I just got lucky I
guess. To solve it I bought some of the recommended high temperature
epoxy to smear round the edge of the burner before inserting and it
works great.

It is called JB Weld and I got mine from a remote control helicopter
website - they must have to do a lot of repairs!

http://www.revolutionmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Consumables._adhesives.html

Third item up from the bottom (don't get the Kwik version because it is
only good to 150 degrees C).

The other thing I found was that 2mm jet holes were too big so I went
for 1.5mm. With 2mm holes the meths in the outer ring used to prime the
stove would run down the holes and there would then not be enough fuel
in the outer part to get it hot enough to start properly.

Finally I think that a wider cooking pot than the one I am using would
suit this stove better. It is only 95mm across and a lot of the flame
from the jets goes up the side. I will have to dig out some bigger pans
for comparison when I get some time.

--

Dominic Sexton

Dominic Sexton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Rob G
> <[email protected]> writes
>> I tried making one of the Heineken stoves (in fact I tried several!)
>> but was not too impressed with what I got. How did you overcome the
>> seal problem between the base and the section with the jet holes? I
>> found that the European shaped cans have a bulge in them which it
>> would seem the US ones don't and I couldn't overcome the gap that that
>> created.

> I had that problem on all but my first attempt where I just got lucky I
> guess. To solve it I bought some of the recommended high temperature
> epoxy to smear round the edge of the burner before inserting and it
> works great.
>
> It is called JB Weld and I got mine from a remote control helicopter
> website - they must have to do a lot of repairs!
>
> http://www.revolutionmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Consumables._adhesives.html
>
> Third item up from the bottom (don't get the Kwik version because it is
> only good to 150 degrees C).

Hmm, £5.06 + postage + V.A.T. probably totaling around £7.00 - and
that's not including buying the Heineken. Is it worth it for a novelty?

Jim Ford

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Ford
<[email protected]> writes
>Dominic Sexton wrote:
>> I had that problem on all but my first attempt where I just got
>>lucky I guess. To solve it I bought some of the recommended high
>>temperature epoxy to smear round the edge of the burner before
>>inserting and it works great.
>> It is called JB Weld and I got mine from a remote control helicopter
>>website - they must have to do a lot of repairs!
>>
>>http://www.revolutionmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Consumables._adhesives.html
>> Third item up from the bottom (don't get the Kwik version because it
>>is only good to 150 degrees C).

>Hmm, £5.06 + postage + V.A.T. probably totaling around £7.00 - and
>that's not including buying the Heineken.

Postage was free I think. I also have lots of what appears to be a
rather good adhesive for anything else I want to stick.

The Heineken wasn't too bad either :)

>Is it worth it for a novelty?

I have found it quite entertaining and have ended up with a light
alternative stove at the end of it.

--

Dominic Sexton

Dominic Sexton wrote:

>> Hmm, £5.06 + postage + V.A.T. probably totaling around £7.00 - and
>> that's not including buying the Heineken.

> Postage was free I think. I also have lots of what appears to be a
> rather good adhesive for anything else I want to stick.
>
> The Heineken wasn't too bad either :)

What!? I never imagined that you'd _actually_ drink the stuff!

Jim Ford

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Ford
<[email protected]> writes
>Dominic Sexton wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, £5.06 + postage + V.A.T. probably totaling around £7.00 - and
>>>that's not including buying the Heineken.

>> Postage was free I think. I also have lots of what appears to be a
>>rather good adhesive for anything else I want to stick.
>> The Heineken wasn't too bad either :)

>What!? I never imagined that you'd _actually_ drink the stuff!

Not normally by choice but it did the trick!

--

Dominic Sexton

On 11 Jun, 18:48, Dominic Sexton <{[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Rob G
> <[email protected]> writes
>
> >I tried making one of the Heineken stoves (in fact I tried several!)
> >but was not too impressed with what I got. How did you overcome the
> >seal problem between the base and the section with the jet holes? I
> >found that the European shaped cans have a bulge in them which it
> >would seem the US ones don't and I couldn't overcome the gap that that
> >created.

> I had that problem on all but my first attempt where I just got lucky I
> guess. To solve it I bought some of the recommended high temperature
> epoxy to smear round the edge of the burner before inserting and it
> works great.
>
> It is called JB Weld and I got mine from a remote control helicopter
> website - they must have to do a lot of repairs!
>
> http://www.revolutionmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Consumables._adhesives.html
>
> Third item up from the bottom (don't get the Kwik version because it is
> only good to 150 degrees C).
>
> The other thing I found was that 2mm jet holes were too big so I went
> for 1.5mm. With 2mm holes the meths in the outer ring used to prime the
> stove would run down the holes and there would then not be enough fuel
> in the outer part to get it hot enough to start properly.
>
> Finally I think that a wider cooking pot than the one I am using would
> suit this stove better. It is only 95mm across and a lot of the flame
> from the jets goes up the side. I will have to dig out some bigger pans
> for comparison when I get some time.
>
> --
>
> Dominic Sexton

Many thanks Dominic - suddenly today got the urge to do a trip next
week with as minimum a weight as I can manage with what kit I have and
cutting out the gas stove for one night would be a good idea (or it's
going to be 24 hours without a cup of tea!). I might try a local
model making store to see if they carry it in stock to save time.

Rob