Best time of year for hill walking the Munros?

Jude

Guest
My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland for some hiking in
the Munros. Ideally we'd like to avoid the midges and other biting
insects, which I understand are prevalent in June-July-August, but
we'd still like to visit in fairly warm, sunny weather. Are we better
off in September, October, April, or May?

We'd probably spend a day or so in Glasgow and/or Edinburgh and then
head north to the Munros with a stop in Loch Ness. We're both pretty
hardy runners/hikers/climbers, but we'd like to do our walking/
scrambling in mild weather if at all possible.

Much thanks!

JT

Jude wrote:
> My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland for some hiking in
> the Munros. Ideally we'd like to avoid the midges and other biting
> insects, which I understand are prevalent in June-July-August, but
> we'd still like to visit in fairly warm, sunny weather. Are we better
> off in September, October, April, or May?
>
> We'd probably spend a day or so in Glasgow and/or Edinburgh and then
> head north to the Munros with a stop in Loch Ness. We're both pretty
> hardy runners/hikers/climbers, but we'd like to do our walking/
> scrambling in mild weather if at all possible.

Mid April to end of May.
If heading to the NW the midges start to appear from mid-May, whereas
further south, and particularly east, you may get away with early June.

Whilst it usually gives a decent weather window, you cannot guarantee the
weather. Some years I've had snow. Others blazing sun and really hot on the
summits. Its not unknown to get both on the same day :).
I've also had bad weeks with low cloud, succession of weather fronts
bringing rain and bad visibility to the hills. I usually plan for an
alternative, such as coastal walks (had some great coastal walks, they are
not a poor substitute for hills, just different), or sitting in a cottage
making models (see sig).

My experience of autumn has usually been disappointing. Midges still around,
and a lower ratio of good visibility days to bad than the spring. I now
prefer Europe in the autumn, eg. the Alps after the summer rush, but before
the early winter snows block routes.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland for some hiking in
> the Munros. Ideally we'd like to avoid the midges and other biting
> insects, which I understand are prevalent in June-July-August, but
> we'd still like to visit in fairly warm, sunny weather. Are we better
> off in September, October, April, or May?
>
> We'd probably spend a day or so in Glasgow and/or Edinburgh and then
> head north to the Munros with a stop in Loch Ness. We're both pretty
> hardy runners/hikers/climbers, but we'd like to do our walking/
> scrambling in mild weather if at all possible.
>
> Much thanks!
>
> JT

Statistically May is the month with the highest daily sunshine hours. If I
go hiking in the UK I will nearly always go somewhere in between mid May and
mid June. It depends on which area you are planning to walk - if you are
walking in the Cairngorms then June might be better as there may still be a
lot of snow on the plateau earlier than that.

September is right in the stalking season so you may have to check with the
estates before walking if you went then. October I would probably avoid as
you are getting into the winter storminess period and the days are
shortening rapidly.

Following up to Jude <[email protected]> wrote:

> May?

yes.
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland for some hiking in
> the Munros. Ideally we'd like to avoid the midges and other biting
> insects, which I understand are prevalent in June-July-August, but
> we'd still like to visit in fairly warm, sunny weather. Are we better
> off in September, October, April, or May?

I'd add that it depends on the things you are looking for; if you are keen
to see munros with snow on them, it is more likely in April/May than in
September/October. However, the latter does allow you to see Scotland with
the beautiful autumn colours and they are worth going to see alone.

"Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jude wrote:

> My experience of autumn has usually been disappointing. Midges still
> around, and a lower ratio of good visibility days to bad than the spring.
> I now prefer Europe in the autumn, eg. the Alps after the summer rush, but
> before the early winter snows block routes.

This probably wont help a lot but my experience is the other way. I have
had better and more settled and generally sunnier weather in
September/October than in April/May, particularly May and at that time it is
more likely that the midges will be just hatching (if the weather has been
warm), whereas I cant remember ever being bitten in October, though
September there may be some hanging around. Only problem with October is
shorter days.

Jude wrote:
> My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland for some hiking in
> the Munros. Ideally we'd like to avoid the midges and other biting
> insects, which I understand are prevalent in June-July-August, but
> we'd still like to visit in fairly warm, sunny weather. Are we better
> off in September, October, April, or May?
>
> We'd probably spend a day or so in Glasgow and/or Edinburgh and then
> head north to the Munros with a stop in Loch Ness. We're both pretty
> hardy runners/hikers/climbers, but we'd like to do our walking/
> scrambling in mild weather if at all possible.

....remember, the "Munros" are not a discrete range of hills. A Munro is
any hill anywhere in Scotland which is 3000+ feet.

But you knew that!

--
George

Following up to George <[email protected]> wrote:

> A Munro is
>any hill anywhere in Scotland which is 3000+ feet.

unless its a "top" :)