Salsa too spicy..add cilantro?

I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
like Hot!).
What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

[email protected] wrote:
> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
> like Hot!).
> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
thing...

Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
dilution."

Bob

On 19 May 2007 08:18:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>like Hot!).
>What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

I would make a bit more unspiced salsa and mix it with the spicy
salsa. I love cilantro in salsa, but I don't know that it would tame
the heat.

Tara

On Sat, 19 May 2007 10:23:32 -0500, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>>

>Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
>thing...
>
>Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
>dilution."

It's amazing what a couple of jars of mild salsa can do, huh? LOL

--
Zilbandy

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>> like Hot!).
>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
> thing...
>
> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
> dilution."
>
> Bob

Sugar is a good antidote, but then your salsa would be sweet. If you didn't
make a lot, just toss and try again. Not *everything* I make is perfect.
Chalk it up to learning.
Edrena
Life's too short to waste it worrying.

On 19 May 2007 08:18:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>like Hot!).
>What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

Cilantro won't tone down the heat, but it will add flavor (I love
cilantro) - so maybe the heat won't be as noticed. Try adding a
little more lime/lemon. A decent hot salsa is all the better for beer
and chips, my dear. So go with it and toughen up.

The best way to tone down heat is to make a big batch of guacomole to
go with it, then people cah scoop the guacomole and salsa together.
Have dish of sour cream on the side too.

If you don't want to do any of the above, then the only thing that
really works is to dilute with more "unheated" salsa ingredients.

--
See return address to reply by email

[email protected] wrote:
> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
> like Hot!).
> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!

I would maybe add a little more tomato and perhaps lime juice? You never
said what ingredients you originally used and what porportions, so it's hard
to say. When I make salsa, I generally use lime and vinegar to help dilute
the jalepenos. Other people's ideas may vary from mine, but that's just
what I do. I don't think cilantro is going to cut it. It's just a leaf
like parsley. (Doesn't taste like parsley, but I mean, how can that help
eliminate the heat of peppers? Does parsley eliminate garlic from a pasta
dish?)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

kili

zxcvbob wrote:

> Cilantro will make it taste like soap.

Hmpf, That's IYHO, no doubt?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

[email protected] wrote:

> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
> like Hot!).
> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Just make more salsa without the heat and add to the hot salsa to dilute
it.

Sky

[email protected] wrote:
> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
> like Hot!).
> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Add a can of crushed tomatoes in tomato puree.

Perhaps not appropriate for your salsa, but dairy products (especially
yogurt) will tame the heat. And who knows, maybe a creamy salsa would
be good?

[email protected] wrote:
> Perhaps not appropriate for your salsa, but dairy products (especially
> yogurt) will tame the heat. And who knows, maybe a creamy salsa would
> be good?

I love salsa mixed with sour cream. YUM.

Serene

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>> like Hot!).
>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
> thing...
>
> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
> dilution."
>
> Bob

Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.

Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
salsa out of some decent peppers next time.

Mitch

"Mitch Scherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>>> like Hot!).
>>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
>> thing...
>>
>> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
>> dilution."
>>
>> Bob

> Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
> like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.
>
> Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
> salsa out of some decent peppers next time.
>
> Mitch

I don't agree. I use habs in strawberry or peach jam, but clear the ribs &
seeds. One isn't enough for me, but more than three in the batch is too
much. A pile of habs so cleaned, sliced, with seasoned vinegar poured over
can add a nice kick to casseroles, soups & salad. And keeps forever.
A body can go overboard on anything though. Habs to me have a fruity sort
of flavor, but I use them with caution. And rubber gloves.
Edrena

"Mitch Scherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
>>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
>>> like Hot!).
>>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
>>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
>> thing...
>>
>> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
>> dilution."
>>
>> Bob

> Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
> like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.
>
> Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
> salsa out of some decent peppers next time.
>
> Mitch

Nah, Habs are OK when used properly, they do have a nice flavour. I would
still not suggest them to anyone who doesn't like very hot food though.