Cube steaks?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=86_cal?=

Guest
Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
be slow cooked for a soup etc.?

Thanks.

cal

On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:15:49 -0400, † cal wrote:

> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?

No. Unless you want hamburger soup. Make chicken fried steak or
Swiss steak.

-sw

On May 25, 10:15 am, [email protected] († cal) wrote:
> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>
> cal

They're perfect for chicken-fried steak.

I really like them quick-fried - served on thick white toast, with
lots of Worcestershire sauce. I dunno, it's just a quirk of mine.
And really, REALLY good if you have some fresh tomato slices to eat
with each bite.

N.

> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>
> cal

I've made the following Alton Brown recipe using cube steaks. Very good! I
used Penzeys French thyme (nice stuff).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Country Style Steak

Recipe By :Alton Brown
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

2 pounds round steaks -- trimmed of fat
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil -- or bacon drippings
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both
sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the
pieces of meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a
needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge in the flour
again and set aside.

Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4
to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to
shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook
until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove
the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.

Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the chicken broth and thyme and
whisk until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot
and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place
it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the
meat is tender and falling apart.

Source:
"Good Eats"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used minute steaks instead of round steak.

"[email protected](no spam)" <[email protected]>

> > Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> > be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > cal
> >

> I've made the following Alton Brown recipe using cube steaks. Very good!

> used Penzeys French thyme (nice stuff).
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Country Style Steak
>
> Recipe By :Alton Brown
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef

> 2 pounds round steaks -- trimmed of fat
> 2 teaspoons kosher salt
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil -- or bacon drippings
> 2 cups chicken broth
> 1 teaspoon dried thyme
>

> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006
>

> Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
>
> Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both
> sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the
> pieces of meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a
> needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge in the flour
> again and set aside.
>
> Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a

4
> to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to
> shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook
> until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove
> the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been

browned.

> Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the chicken broth and thyme

and
> whisk until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot
> and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and

place
> it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the
> meat is tender and falling apart.
>
> Source:
> "Good Eats"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> NOTES : I used minute steaks instead of round steak.

==============
I suppose you could even do that in the crockpot after browning.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> cal wrote:
> > Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> > be slow cooked for a soup etc.?

> No. Unless you want hamburger soup. Make chicken fried steak or
> Swiss steak.

Why pray tell did you so emphatically reply "No.", and then go on to
suggest exactly what the OP asked... don't you know what "etc."
means????

Cube steak is merely a tough cut of beef that's been mechanically
tenderized... aside from the customary uses it can be cooked in every
way that beef is cooked and as with any other cut there is no law
preventing cube steak from being sliced, diced or ground.

Sheldon

On 25 May 2007 13:15:48 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> cal wrote:
>>> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
>>> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?

>> No. Unless you want hamburger soup. Make chicken fried steak or
>> Swiss steak.

> Why pray tell did you so emphatically reply "No.", and then go on to
> suggest exactly what the OP asked... don't you know what "etc."
> means????

Maybe you should go back to reading with your finger and mouthing
the words one syllable at a time.

-sw

On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:15:49 -0400, [email protected] († cal) wrote:

>Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
>be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
>
>Thanks.
>
>cal

lightly browned in the frying pan,, THEN added to croc pot with home
made version of cream of mushroom soup plus some celery added in..
allowed to cook several hours... FANTASTIC
Chuck (in SC)

In article <[email protected]>,
Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I really like them quick-fried - served on thick white toast, with
> lots of Worcestershire sauce. I dunno, it's just a quirk of mine.
> And really, REALLY good if you have some fresh tomato slices to eat
> with each bite.
>
> N.

Quick-fried -- describe what you're doing. I've never had much luck with
cube steaks and Rob always liked them. Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

For what it's worth from a newbie here...

Try making 'Hobo Packs' with them. They tend to be a LOT more tender that
way.

Hobo Packs
Cube steak
Potatoes, sliced
Onions, sliced
Carrots, sliced
S&P to taste
Garlic to taste
Any other additional seasoning you might wish to try (Worstershire, steak
rub, barbeque rub, etc.)
Foil squares for each pack

Place some of each item on a square of foil, wrap it up and cook in a 350F
(175C) oven for 45 minutes.

The key is what you add to it, as I've found without some additional spices,
it can be very bland.

Enjoy!

-Glasswalker-
news:[email protected]...

† cal wrote:
> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>
> cal

Grillades (& grits?). Google for a recipe.

-bwg
Too lazy to look it up for you

On 28 May 2007 11:32:23 -0700, -bwg <[email protected]> wrote:

>† cal wrote:
>> Can anything be done with cube steaks other than quick frying? Can they
>> be slow cooked for a soup etc.?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> cal

>Grillades (& grits?). Google for a recipe.

Cube steaks make a reasonable substitute in chicken fried steak. Serve
it with mashed potatoes and nice white sausage gravy.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Glasswalker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> For what it's worth from a newbie here...
>
> Try making 'Hobo Packs' with them. They tend to be a LOT more tender that
> way.
>
> Hobo Packs
> Cube steak
> Potatoes, sliced
> Onions, sliced
> Carrots, sliced
> S&P to taste
> Garlic to taste
> Any other additional seasoning you might wish to try (Worstershire, steak
> rub, barbeque rub, etc.)
> Foil squares for each pack
>
> Place some of each item on a square of foil, wrap it up and cook in a 350F
> (175C) oven for 45 minutes.
>
> The key is what you add to it, as I've found without some additional spices,
> it can be very bland.

thanks, I might do that next time Small Child is in house. She might
enjoy making her own packet.