Supertaster?

Nancy Young

Guest
I read this in Good Housekeeping ...

Are you a Supertaster?

Using a hole punch, put a hole in a 1 inch square of
waxed paper. Dab some blue food coloring on your
tongue. It should turn blue, with the exception of tiny
pink circles. Those are fungicform papillae, and each
contains six to 15 tast buds. Place the waxed paper over
the blue area of your tongue and count the pink circles in the
hole that you punched out. If you have more than 25 pink
circles, you are a supertaster.

Okay, someone go do that and report back. (laugh)

nancy

On May 29, 4:24 pm, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...
>
> Are you a Supertaster?
>
> Using a hole punch, put a hole in a 1 inch square of
> waxed paper. Dab some blue food coloring on your
> tongue. It should turn blue, with the exception of tiny
> pink circles. Those are fungicform papillae, and each
> contains six to 15 tast buds. Place the waxed paper over
> the blue area of your tongue and count the pink circles in the
> hole that you punched out. If you have more than 25 pink
> circles, you are a supertaster.
>
> Okay, someone go do that and report back. (laugh)
>
> nancy

Maybe Sandra Lee will have a program on this, incorporating it with
using the left-overs on cupcakes.
Dee Dee

Nancy Young wrote:
> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...
>
> Are you a Supertaster?
>
> Using a hole punch, put a hole in a 1 inch square of
> waxed paper. Dab some blue food coloring on your
> tongue. It should turn blue, with the exception of tiny
> pink circles. Those are fungicform papillae, and each
> contains six to 15 tast buds. Place the waxed paper over
> the blue area of your tongue and count the pink circles in the
> hole that you punched out. If you have more than 25 pink
> circles, you are a supertaster.
>
> Okay, someone go do that and report back. (laugh)
>
> nancy

Don't have to, already found it out. It's scary. When it is good it is
very good, but when it is bad-- don't get between me and a sink.

"Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...
>>
>> Are you a Supertaster?

> Don't have to, already found it out. It's scary. When it is good it is
> very good, but when it is bad-- don't get between me and a sink.

No kidding! For whatever reason the article focused on
vegetables, do you find that you react strongly to different ones?

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...
> >>
> >> Are you a Supertaster?

> > Don't have to, already found it out. It's scary. When it is good it is
> > very good, but when it is bad-- don't get between me and a sink.

> No kidding! For whatever reason the article focused on
> vegetables, do you find that you react strongly to different ones?
>
> nancy

As a picky eater, it's nice to be scientifically vindicated <G>! Now,
if only this information had been available 40+ years ago! I might not
have had to endure hours of suffering due to parental torture at the
dinner table.

Sky, who still doesn't eat cooked green veggies!

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...
>>>
>>> Are you a Supertaster?

>> Don't have to, already found it out. It's scary. When it is good it is
>> very good, but when it is bad-- don't get between me and a sink.

> No kidding! For whatever reason the article focused on
> vegetables, do you find that you react strongly to different ones?
>
> nancy

I find it variable, but artificial flavors or off-scents or flavors are
the worst and I detect them before anybody else. Same for scents, like
certain shampoos can nauseate me.

The good part is I can almost always copy something I've eaten and
liked. The exception is if I have never run into a certain ingredient.
Cannot even contemplate durian, from what others say.

Skyhooks wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Don't have to, already found it out. It's scary. When it is good it is
>>> very good, but when it is bad-- don't get between me and a sink.

>> No kidding! For whatever reason the article focused on
>> vegetables, do you find that you react strongly to different ones?
>>
>> nancy

> As a picky eater, it's nice to be scientifically vindicated <G>! Now,
> if only this information had been available 40+ years ago! I might not
> have had to endure hours of suffering due to parental torture at the
> dinner table.
>
> Sky, who still doesn't eat cooked green veggies!

I think you're making excuses, because I do with relish.

Giusi wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
> >
> > As a picky eater, it's nice to be scientifically vindicated <G>! Now,
> > if only this information had been available 40+ years ago! I might not
> > have had to endure hours of suffering due to parental torture at the
> > dinner table.
> >
> > Sky, who still doesn't eat cooked green veggies!

> I think you're making excuses, because I do with relish.

I've never heard of using pickle or any other sort of relish as a
condiment for cooked green veggies. I do like a Kosher pickle every
once in awhile, but the combination of pickle relish and cooked green
veggies just does not sound very appetizing to me. But, I've heard of
worse combinations ;)

Sky

"Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> No kidding! For whatever reason the article focused on
>> vegetables, do you find that you react strongly to different ones?

> Cannot even contemplate durian, from what others say.

I'm probably the opposite of a supertaster and I wouldn't try
that on a bet. Anytime someone says Once you get past the smell,
forget about it! I couldn't care less what it tastes like if it stinks.

Hence my aversion to curry, and my failure to understand why other
people don't notice that stench. Heh, sorry. I really don't get it and
I'm not eating it.

nancy

On May 29, 3:44 pm, Dee Dee <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:24 pm, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I read this in Good Housekeeping ...

> > Are you a Supertaster?

> > Using a hole punch, put a hole in a 1 inch square of
> > waxed paper. Dab some blue food coloring on your
> > tongue. It should turn blue, with the exception of tiny
> > pink circles. Those are fungicform papillae, and each
> > contains six to 15 tast buds. Place the waxed paper over
> > the blue area of your tongue and count the pink circles in the
> > hole that you punched out. If you have more than 25 pink
> > circles, you are a supertaster.

> > Okay, someone go do that and report back. (laugh)

> > nancy

> Maybe Sandra Lee will have a program on this, incorporating it with
> using the left-overs on cupcakes.
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

Hard to imagine a great pink and blue tablescape, though....

N.

Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 29, 3:44 pm, Dee Dee <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On May 29, 4:24 pm, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> I read this in Good Housekeeping ...

>>> Are you a Supertaster?

>>> Using a hole punch, put a hole in a 1 inch square of
>>> waxed paper. Dab some blue food coloring on your
>>> tongue. It should turn blue, with the exception of tiny
>>> pink circles. Those are fungicform papillae, and each
>>> contains six to 15 tast buds. Place the waxed paper over
>>> the blue area of your tongue and count the pink circles in the
>>> hole that you punched out. If you have more than 25 pink
>>> circles, you are a supertaster.

>>> Okay, someone go do that and report back. (laugh)

>>> nancy

>> Maybe Sandra Lee will have a program on this, incorporating it with
>> using the left-overs on cupcakes.
>> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

> Hard to imagine a great pink and blue tablescape, though....
>
> N.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe at a baby shower where the expectant mother has
*not* been told the sex of the child?

Jill <---never seen Sandra Lee and knows she's not missing anything!