or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

post #1 of 18
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if
you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it or
email me directly.
post #2 of 18

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave & Denise K
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if
you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it or
email me directly.
I have found that it is not necessarily cost that provides a comfortable ride. Everyone is different and what Lance wears doesnt mean it will work for you. By the way I dont suspect that Lance has paid for a pair of bike shorts in a long long time.

Stopping short of employing someone to remove the seat out of ya butt at the end of the ride ensure that the padding in the shorts is actually covering your seated asset. Like you said on long rides everything goes numb regardless of what you are wearing
post #3 of 18

"Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
> rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
know
> you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
> to know. If you have any suggestions, please
post
> it or email me directly.

It matters little which shorts you buy.

The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is between your skin and the lycra.

Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one size
does not fit all.

My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives you the least amount of
saddle sores is the best.

good luck!
post #4 of 18

"Dashi Toshii" <Toshii@Jpn.com> wrote in news:aoOdnaVJv7aEHbWiU-KYgw@comcast.com:

> "Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
>> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
> know
>> you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
>> to know. If you have any suggestions, please
> post
>> it or email me directly.
>
> Any 100% cotton shorts will do, preferably, cut off Levis.
>
> Dashii

I prefer cut off corduroys myself. I like that "zip zip..." sound it makes when they rub against the
saddle and top tube. I'm pretty sure these are what Lance uses also, so you've *got* to use them.

- Boyd S.
post #5 of 18

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

"Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.remove.it.for.mail@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
>> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what,
>> but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please
>> post it or email me directly.
>
> It matters little which shorts you buy. The most important thing is the underwear. After all
> that's what is between your skin and the lycra.
>
> Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
> size does not fit all. My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives
> you the least amount of saddle sores is the best. good luck!

I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers boxers under his riding
shorts. So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).

Hope this helps,

- Boyd S.
post #6 of 18

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.remove.it.for.mail@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > "Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
> >> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter
> >> what, but if you know of
some
> >> comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it or email me
> >> directly.
> >
> > It matters little which shorts you buy. The most important thing is the underwear. After all
> > that's what is
between
> > your skin and the lycra.
> >
> > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
> > size does not fit all. My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one
gives
> > you the least amount of saddle sores is the best. good luck!
>
> I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers
boxers under his riding shorts.
> So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).

thank you for your input.

One other thing:

Women may prefer wearing a thong. So do some men (though not many).

That unfortunate rider/hiker who met his untimely demise last month was one of the male
thong-wearers.
post #7 of 18

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

By RBR standards the OP isn't being laughed at at all. To the contrary, there isn't bigger wisdom to
spread over this than the reactions here. .. when choosing, have a close look at the inside (quality
chamois , placing of seams). It won't matter much for the rest. Even with top quality many will get
troubles at some point. Just ask Triple Dekker. There are products to wipe in the area. I also heard
shaving your nuts can be helpful.
post #8 of 18

In rec.bicycles.rides Dave & Denise Kother <dkother@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
> rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know

I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had great success with the
Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles. http://www.performancebike.com They really are designed
for centuries!

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu 685 W.Baltimore Str
http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

I remember seeing someone on a charity ride with panty hose under the bike shorts. Hum!

Lanny "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.remove.it.for.mail@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
> > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
> know
> > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
> > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
> post
> > it or email me directly.
>

> It matters little which shorts you buy.
>

> The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is
between
> your skin and the lycra.
>

> Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
> size does not fit all.
>
> My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives you the least amount of
> saddle sores is the best.
>

> good luck!
post #10 of 18

"Andrew Swan" <news@NOSPAMandrewswan.com> wrote in message
> Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
> > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
> > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
know
> > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
> > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
post
> > it or email me directly.
> >
> Some of the other posters are having some fun with you. Presumably they get a kick out of giving
> dodgy advice to someone who might not know any better. I wonder if they do this in real life, or
> only when protected by the anonymity of Usenet.

Dumbass -

I got one of my very good friends to wear tighty whities.

Before you get your little panties in a wad, he closes the window before he farts in my house.
post #11 of 18

"Didier A. Depireux" <didier@rai.isr.umd.edu> wrote in message

> I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had great success with the
> Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles. http://www.performancebike.com They really are
> designed for centuries!

Start with these. They work for me and don't cost nearly as much as the big name brands. I have worn
Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau shorts which, while comfortable, cost a lot more and did not wear
nearly as well as the Performance shorts. I did not find them much more comfortable than the
Performance shorts either.

Padded shorts won't do much to keep you from going numb. Going numb on a long ride is preventable,
though. The nose of your saddle may be too high. I also find that riding out of the saddle a bit
every few miles helps.

My experience has been that saddles with too much padding have caused me more problems than firmer
saddles. Many modern saddles have a slot or channel down the middle to relieve the pressure that
causes numbness.

**** "I should know" Durbin
post #12 of 18

The Kothers wrote:
> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
> rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but
> if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it
> or email me directly.

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...n_ssl/home.jsp

Good luck getting to the actual site.

--Karen M.
post #13 of 18

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

silk jogging shorts is all I will ever wear. used to use those fancy cycling shorts but found I
looked homely walking around the coconut grove mall. the colors matters also, only get the
chartreuse yellow or orange ones. you can use them for dual purpose, cycling, running, triathlons,
hanging by the pool, shopping, meetings etc.... the first time I met lance he had them on to. him
and mark. they are the best so I mimic them. now I am almost the best.

hope this helps, Chris Carmichael Trainer to the Stars

"Dave & Denise Kother" <dkother@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
> rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
know
> you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
> to know. If you have any suggestions, please
post
> it or email me directly.
post #14 of 18

Re: Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

In article <IY1Wa.1166$jg.346406@news1.news.adelphia.net>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<kgringioni.remove.it.for.mail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > It matters little which shorts you buy. The most important thing is the underwear. After all
> > > that's what is
> between
> > > your skin and the lycra.
> > >
> > > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
> > > size does not fit all. My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one
> gives
> > > you the least amount of saddle sores is the best. good luck!
> >
> > I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers
> boxers under his riding shorts.
> > So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).
>

> thank you for your input.
>

> One other thing:
>
> Women may prefer wearing a thong. So do some men (though not many).

If one chooses the thong option, make sure it's a leather one.

> That unfortunate rider/hiker who met his untimely demise last month was one of the male
> thong-wearers.

There's a guy who rides around the Portola area who might be that guy's cousin. He's an older
guy, kind of leathery (hmm, a theme there) and usually wears really short shorts. Like Japanese
schoolgirl gym shorts short. But when it's hot, he's out in a pair of bib shorts (without a
shirt) that he's cut the legs off of. Like up to the hip bones. Which makes them a sort of one
piece women's thong bathing suit.

In related news -

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/rcarman1.html

--
tanx, Howard

Read. Think. Type. Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...
post #15 of 18

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Women may prefer wearing a thong. So do some men (though not many).
>
> That unfortunate rider/hiker who met his untimely demise last month was one of the male
> thong-wearers.

Henry,

I applaud your restraint in waiting four hours to mention the thong man in this thread. My hope for
humanity is now restored...joy!

--
Dominic Richens | dominic@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: