TR - Munros - Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Lindsay

Guest
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor
15 - 16 July 2007
We met in Inverness on the afternoon of the 15 July and drove to Craig
near Achnashellach where we parked in the car park within the forest
on the north side of the A890 Achnasheen to Lochcarron Road. The car
park had recently been reduced in size and a height barrier installed
at the entrance.
We left the car park, crossed the main road and the railway line and
followed the vehicle track east to the bridge over the River Carron.
At the split in the track we took the one heading west through the
forest and along the south bank of the River. After over three
kilometres we reached the signposted path for Bearneas.
The path climbed through the forest and in places long grass on either
side of it hid deep trenches. Beyond the forest the path, which was
boggy in places, wound its way uphill above Coire Leiridh, where we
met a couple descending from the Corbett, Sgurr na Feartaig. The
path led to a small bealach south of Carn Mor and then through some
rocks to a wide area, which without the path would require some
careful navigation.
The path descended the side of a stream and some old fence posts to
Bearneas Bothy. The bothy, which was situated in an idyllic
location, was tidy and larger than expected but I had carried my tent
so I pitched it nearby while my clients, Kay and Norman set up in the
bothy. We cooked our meal and sat outside in the sun enjoying the
weather conditions and the remoteness of the location, until the light
breeze disappeared and a few midges decided to join us. The rest of
the evening was spent in the bothy chatting and drinking tea and
coffee.
I was awake early and with the tent door open I watched the clouds
change colour to orange as the sun rose. There was no problem from
the midges as there was a breeze blowing but the higher hills were
cloud covered. After an early breakfast we set off from the bothy
and crossed the Abhainn Bhearnais by a few stones I had placed the
previous evening. Beyond that the ground was fairly boggy and
sections were impossible to cross and required slight deviations.
Once the ground started to rise it was a bit drier underfoot. A
stream was reached and a suitable crossing point found as it ran
through a small gorge.
We aimed for a tributary of the stream we had just crossed and
followed it into Coire Seasgach and into the cloud. We spotted
several deer in the area. In the Coire it was very atmospheric with
the mist and rock making everything outsized. We followed the
stream, which changed direction several times, until we reached a
small lochan. Well the lochan was actually quite difficult to see in
the thick cloud. Just beyond the lochan we came across a path that
led along a narrowing and rocky ridge to the summit of Bidein a'Choire
Sheasgaich where it was fairly windy.
There was no advantage remaining at the summit so we continued on the
path, which disappeared at times to the bealach with Lurg Mhor where
it was very windy and a few minutes later the rain, that was to last
the rest of the day, started. The ascent of Lurg Mhor commenced and
before ten in the morning we had reached the summit of our second
Munro of the day. Lurg Mhor was in fact Kay's final mainland Munro
while it was Norman's one hundred and ninety seventh.
The return to Bearneas Bothy was by the route of ascent. The cloud
base hadn't changed but the level of the streams had risen. Once
back at the bothy we had some lunch and hot drinks before packing our
overnight gear. Unfortunately I should have taken my tent down in
the morning as it was now very wet.
We were about to leave the bothy when a chap walking from Cape Wrath
arrived so we spoke to him for a few minutes. He was the only person
we saw that day. After around an hour at the bothy we left to return
to Craig by the route used the previous day but the path was very wet
in places as the rain continued to fall.
Kay plans to climb Sgurr nan Gillean next which will leave her with a
visit to Mull to complete her Munros. Norman's next walk was an
ascent of the two Munros of the Aonach Eagach.
Time taken:
Day one - 3.5 hours.
Day two - 8.75 hours.

Distance:
Day one - 11 kilometres.
Day two - 23 kilometres.

Height climbed:
Day one - 600 metres.
Day two - 1420 metres.

Photographs taken on walk can be viewed at:
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/gallery07/lurg_mhor_july07/index.htm

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Fabulous write-up Lindsay, as always.

An alternative route, for people with bikes, is to take the track from
Attadale House to Bendronaig Lodge, and ascend the hills from there.
The track is steep in places but perfectly cycleable, and it makes
these two hills achievable in a day if you're short of time. In fact I
drove from Perth and climbed these two hills before returning to
Perth, all in the same day, without any difficulty.

I'm not advocating the "climb by the easiest route" philosophy, but it
enabled me to have a stunning blue-sky day on two fabulous hills on
the one day I had off work mid-week.

https://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Includes/Display_Trip.php?AscentID=207

Jim

Jim wrote:
> Fabulous write-up Lindsay, as always.

Yes, I wonder whether he's considered publishing his trail reports,
paper or online?

Jim Ford

Jim Ford wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Fabulous write-up Lindsay, as always.

> Yes, I wonder whether he's considered publishing his trail reports,
> paper or online?

I guess he has, since he does! ;-)

They're on his website at http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK