or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replace Cog on Shimano Single Speed Freewheel

post #1 of 4
Hello,

I have a single speed, shimano freewheel on a flip/flop hub. I would
like to have a bigger cog on the freewheel to lower the gearing (too
many hills here!). As far as I can tell my only choice is to buy a
whole new freewheel. The problem is that the shimano freewheel only
comes in three sizes, and the other options cost big bucks (like $90 -
yikees).

Is it possible to remove the cog on the shimano 3/32" freewheel and
replace it with a bigger cog? Any points on how to do this would be
appreciated.

(I only want to change the gearing a little bit and was hoping to leave
the chainring alone.)

Thanks in advance,
Kel
post #2 of 4

Re: Replace Cog on Shimano Single Speed Freewheel

Kelly Black wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Is it possible to remove the cog on the shimano 3/32" freewheel and
> replace it with a bigger cog? Any points on how to do this would be
> appreciated.

no, unless you fancy welding.

Other brands than shimano will have more (and bigger) sizes. AFAIK
Shimano only does 16 & 18

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
post #3 of 4

Kelly Black wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a single speed, shimano freewheel on a flip/flop hub. I would
> like to have a bigger cog on the freewheel to lower the gearing (too
> many hills here!). As far as I can tell my only choice is to buy a
> whole new freewheel. The problem is that the shimano freewheel only
> comes in three sizes, and the other options cost big bucks (like $90 -
> yikees).
>
> Is it possible to remove the cog on the shimano 3/32" freewheel and
> replace it with a bigger cog? Any points on how to do this would be
> appreciated.

No. But you can just get a new freewheel. They're not expensive, $10-20
for something basic by Shimano or ACS.
post #4 of 4

M-gineering wrote:

> Other brands than shimano will have more (and bigger) sizes. AFAIK
> Shimano only does 16 & 18

And 17t:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/singl...tml#freewheels

ACS makes 20 and 22 tooth, along with a 16, 17, and 18-tooth:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...Brand=7&type=T
(the 14 and 15 tooth fit the smaller "metric" thread on a BMX flip-flop
hub)

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home