CTTS "Orange Balls!"

The Ranger

Guest
My MIL is a former farmgal. Her family had a huge spread of land
and grew many different types of fruits and nuts throughout her
lifetime. Being the oldest, she was privy to The Secret. She
became as much the reason for her farm's success as her dad; she
could get things to grow-and-produce where many others would fail.

When she was old enough, she took advantage of getting married and
moved off the farm and into the city. She never lost that magical
green thumb, though, and it shows up every season around this time
with a truly special golden globe that's sweet, succulent, and
Spawn's favorite fruit.

Spawn is The Climber. She morphs into a spider monkey every June
and picks the fruit that is at the top of each tree. Her reward
has always been a bag for her to nosh after each harvest.

Since the fruit is an orangish color, Spawn's always referred to
it as Golden Balls, but only to my MIL.

Imagine my chagrin when we're both at the store this past week and
she begins to animatedly point to the fruit display exclaiming,
"Golden Balls! Golden Balls! Can we get some?"

I looked over to where I thought she was pointing and saw "Naval
Oranges," "Juice Oranges," "Pixies," and "White Nectarines."

"We grow most of those already. Why do I want to buy them?"

"No. No." she continued pointing.

I looked again. Behind the Pixies was a much smaller "box" of
apricots. I still didn't understand, and apparently my face showed
this puzzlement so Spawn took me by the hand directly to what she
was talking about.

"Them!"

The sign under the fruit read, "Blenheim."

"Oh..."

"Up. Please hold a bag. I'll pick."

Yes ma'am.

It's nice to know that she's been paying attention during each
harvest. Those were some of the most delicious apricots I've had
in a long time. We finished the 8-lb bag in two days.

We're off to the farmers' markets today and tomorrow to load back
up on spinach, peas, and, of course, apricots.

The Ranger
--
Spawn is her own little girl. She knows what she likes and she
knows that I'm not always going to be in agreance.

In article <[email protected]>,
"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My MIL is a former farmgal. Her family had a huge spread of land
> and grew many different types of fruits and nuts throughout her
> lifetime. Being the oldest, she was privy to The Secret. She
> became as much the reason for her farm's success as her dad; she
> could get things to grow-and-produce where many others would fail.
>
> When she was old enough, she took advantage of getting married and
> moved off the farm and into the city. She never lost that magical
> green thumb, though, and it shows up every season around this time
> with a truly special golden globe that's sweet, succulent, and
> Spawn's favorite fruit.
>
> Spawn is The Climber. She morphs into a spider monkey every June
> and picks the fruit that is at the top of each tree. Her reward
> has always been a bag for her to nosh after each harvest.
>
> Since the fruit is an orangish color, Spawn's always referred to
> it as Golden Balls, but only to my MIL.
>
> Imagine my chagrin when we're both at the store this past week and
> she begins to animatedly point to the fruit display exclaiming,
> "Golden Balls! Golden Balls! Can we get some?"
>
> I looked over to where I thought she was pointing and saw "Naval
> Oranges," "Juice Oranges," "Pixies," and "White Nectarines."
>
> "We grow most of those already. Why do I want to buy them?"
>
> "No. No." she continued pointing.
>
> I looked again. Behind the Pixies was a much smaller "box" of
> apricots. I still didn't understand, and apparently my face showed
> this puzzlement so Spawn took me by the hand directly to what she
> was talking about.
>
> "Them!"
>
> The sign under the fruit read, "Blenheim."
>
> "Oh..."
>
> "Up. Please hold a bag. I'll pick."
>
> Yes ma'am.
>
> It's nice to know that she's been paying attention during each
> harvest. Those were some of the most delicious apricots I've had
> in a long time. We finished the 8-lb bag in two days.
>
> We're off to the farmers' markets today and tomorrow to load back
> up on spinach, peas, and, of course, apricots.
>
> The Ranger
> --
> Spawn is her own little girl. She knows what she likes and she
> knows that I'm not always going to be in agreance.

You don't post enough. :) I always enjoy reading this stuff...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****" -- Jack Nicholson

The Ranger wrote:

> --
> Spawn is her own little girl. She knows what she likes and she
> knows that I'm not always going to be in agreance.

She sounds like quite a character. (Takes after you, doesn't she?)
How old is she now? I think she and my grandson should get together
in about 20 years and produce the world's smartest, most obnoxious children.

gloria p

Puester <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Ranger wrote:
>> Spawn is her own little girl. She knows what
>> she likes and she knows that I'm not always
>> going to be in agreance.

> She sounds like quite a character. (Takes after
> you, doesn't she?)

Yes, she is "quite a character." And age is only making it more
pronounced. (And no, she doesn't take after me! It's SWMBO that
got that curse!)

> How old is she now?

8-soon-to-be-9-going-on-13.

> I think she and my grandson should get together
> in about 20 years and produce the world's smartest,
> most obnoxious children.

Negotiations (and bidding) for Spawn's hand in marriage are
currently listed on Ebay.

The Ranger

Dear Ranger,
Just so you know ‹ I hate you.
Love,
Barb
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Koko wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:36:16 -0500, Omelet [email protected]
> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, "The Ranger"
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>You don't post enough. :) I always enjoy reading this stuff...
>>

> I'm going to jump in here and whole heartedly agree

My ego (and id) thank you.

I am devoting several "days" to compiling my latest stories and
putting them out as quickly as possible. There were "issues" (time
and time management) that prevented me from doing anything. But,
now that I have time, I am dedicating some energy towards writing
again.

The Ranger

Stara Baba <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[snip]
> Dear Ranger,
> Just so you know < I hate you.
> Love,
> Barb

I know. I have that affect on people.
I _really_ love to hate me, too. <G>
Love (and kisses),
The Ranger

In article <[email protected]>,
"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Koko wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:36:16 -0500, Omelet [email protected]
> > wrote:
> >
> >>In article <[email protected]>, "The Ranger"
> >><[email protected]> wrote:

> >>You don't post enough. :) I always enjoy reading this stuff...
> >>

> > I'm going to jump in here and whole heartedly agree
> >

> My ego (and id) thank you.
>
> I am devoting several "days" to compiling my latest stories and
> putting them out as quickly as possible. There were "issues" (time
> and time management) that prevented me from doing anything. But,
> now that I have time, I am dedicating some energy towards writing
> again.
>
> The Ranger

Thanks! :)

Have you ever considered publishing?