or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor - Page 2

post #16 of 256

Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

> The list goes on and on. The Timex I won last night isn't sold in France.
> Neither is the Polar in the s720i model. I would have been forced to get
> the s725 and it would have cost at least twice as much in a shop as I paid
> for it. Besides, there would be absolutely no guarantee that the bike shop
> would help me get it set up. In fact, my experience has been very much the
> contrary, with rude, arrogant know-it-all staff that constantly puts me
> down for not being their standard customer. The shop near me that sells
> Polar always treats me as if I'm an idiot when I speak about my bike and
> its requirements. "Mais voyons madame, cela n'a jamais existé !" But they
> are so "expert" in their field that they haven't even heard of Dahon.
>
> I had a Gestalt moment with an LBS that I have since broken dealings with
> when I asked for a woman's comfort saddle and they vehemently tried to get
> me to buy a man's sport saddle. Never mind the difference between comfort
> and sport - apparently even the difference between man and woman was
> beyond their marketing nous.

Sadly, I know of what you speak. I've been to a few bicycle retailers in
France, and with few exceptions there's a rather patronizing attitude
towards their "customers" that, in the US, would send them packing. And
truth be told, it's sent French consumers packing as well, primarily to
large multi-sport retailers like Decathlon Sports, where, ironically,
customer service seems far friendlier and they actually seem interested in
what you might want, rather than preconceived ideas of what you *should*
want.

Not to say American retailers are perfect. Far, far, FAR from it. But there
are enough of us that consumers generally have options, and many of us are
always looking ahead to what the customer might want tomorrow, rather than
believing that what we've sold for the past 20 years will always be the
answer.

But the French market is a tough one to crack; there are so many rules &
requirements, and it's so difficult to get rid of incompetent employees,
that it's very risky for a foreigner to open up a shop within France. Much
of this is to protect the French way of life, and you do, in fact, enjoy
many advantages over those living elsewhere. But the type of competition
that results in better offerings to the customer is not one of them.

I wish you the best of luck, and if our paths cross on my next trip to
France, keep in mind "je parle francais come un vache espagnol." I'm getting
a bit better at reading a little French, but danged if I can pick up spoken
French very well! If you'd like to read about some of my past adventures
(and misadventures), check out www.ChainReaction.com/france.htm

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <nospam@free.fr> wrote in message
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>> Are there no decent bike shops that you can buy locally from?

> Not really. They have only the most backward, basic, standard equipment.
> Even inner tubes for my bike need to be special ordered, and I have never
> found accessories suitable for my riding style or in my size without
> systematically having to go through the UK, the US or the Netherlands.
>
> A few simple examples:
> No bike shorts in my size (USA)
> The Specialized BG gloves that I wear and love are not available for women
> here (UK)
> No helmet-mounted rear-view mirrors (USA)
> No decent rack-bags designed for supermarket shopping (Netherlands)
> No bike-specific arch supports in 39 (UK)
> No Cane Creek Thudbuster seatposts (UK)
> No replacement Sigma bike computer mounts sold as a separate item (Italy)
>
> The list goes on and on. The Timex I won last night isn't sold in France.
> Neither is the Polar in the s720i model. I would have been forced to get
> the s725 and it would have cost at least twice as much in a shop as I paid
> for it. Besides, there would be absolutely no guarantee that the bike shop
> would help me get it set up. In fact, my experience has been very much the
> contrary, with rude, arrogant know-it-all staff that constantly puts me
> down for not being their standard customer. The shop near me that sells
> Polar always treats me as if I'm an idiot when I speak about my bike and
> its requirements. "Mais voyons madame, cela n'a jamais existé !" But they
> are so "expert" in their field that they haven't even heard of Dahon.
>
> I had a Gestalt moment with an LBS that I have since broken dealings with
> when I asked for a woman's comfort saddle and they vehemently tried to get
> me to buy a man's sport saddle. Never mind the difference between comfort
> and sport - apparently even the difference between man and woman was
> beyond their marketing nous.
>
> And with Ebay if you don't get on with a product you can always just sell
> it on. You take a loss but you get to play with a lot of things and have a
> much better idea of what the product really will and won't do than those
> ignorant, conceited shop attendants.
>
> EFR
> Ile de France
post #17 of 256

Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

Elisa Francesca Roselli <nospam@free.fr> wrote:

> On paper, the Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor and Bike computer answered
> all my dreams. It has wireless captors for speed and cadence, a high
> spec HRM with all sorts of exercise configurations, and comes with a
> software program to do the extraction of the speed and heart data into
> graph form. It also captures elevation information and temperature, two
> details I was very interested in as I am a caloriphobe and as the trip
> to work is quite hilly. Another plus is that it can store files over
> about a week, so that I do not have to transfer information immediately
> at the end of every exercise session.
>
> I had, however, certain queries about the use of the wireless sensors on
> the 20" wheeled folding bike with its extra-long reach. Some people in
> these forums had warned me that some cheap wireless sensors do not work
> on this architecture of bike.

I remember read about this recently. It doesn't affect me as I use a
bike with larger wheels.

see this to change the sensor power output.

http://www.polarusa.com/service_repa..._con.asp?ID=26

--
Andy Templeman <http://www.templeman.org.uk/>
post #18 of 256

Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

Brick Lane Beigel Shop
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2687.htm
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Lane-BR-1.html
Bon Appétit
Dan Gregory
post #19 of 256

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
> Dan Gregory wrote:
>
> > Il y a toujours des bagels a Brick Lane?
> > They were the best you could get..

> Didn't know they had bagels there. I would have thought the
> neighbourhood was rather differently persuaded, but I'll have a look.
> One of my dearest memories of my native New Yawk is the matzoh ball soup
> and lox and bagel sandwich at Shades Delicatessen. I haven't found
> anything like it in all my years of expatriation, and I miss it terribly.
>
> EFR
> Exiled midst frogs and snails in Ile de France

http://www.icons.org.uk/theicons/col...ne-in-progress

http://tinyurl.com/fp8sn

"Between 1881 and 1914, more than two million Jews fled from their
homes in Eastern Europe, many passing through London to Liverpool, to
set off again for New York. Some 150,000 Jewish immigrants stayed in
London, mostly settling in the East End close to the docks, around
Spitalfields and Whitechapel. Unlike the earlier Jewish immigrants,
these newcomers were mostly poor and uneducated. They made their living
as market traders, tailors, leather workers, cabinet makers, furriers,
bootmakers and cigarette makers. They spoke Yiddish, a language based
on medieval German, with many Polish, Russian and Hebrew words, and
written using Hebrew characters."
post #20 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

Jo wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:

> > French is an impossible language. I once tried to learn it in college and I
> > ended up hating everything French. I think it is their confounded language
> > that prevents them from thinking clearly about anything.

> Ben voilà: ça explique tout. C'est pour ça que Mochet et Faure n'ont
> rien réussi.

Ne pas nourrir les trolls!

--
Dave...
post #21 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

In article <1156936407.624739.116670@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Jo" <j-avenet@artefrance.fr> wrote:

> > Jihadists drop a few atom bombs on them.

> Pour l'instant, ceux qui ont pris des avions sur le coin de la gueule,
> c'est
> pas nous...

Jo, ne repondez pas a cet idiot, qui a un niveau intellectuel genre
jardin d'enfants.. Les 3/4 de ce qu'il ecrit sont des conne...es
totales, et le reste des insultes. Il est je crois a la limite de la
debilite. Cela dit comme beaucoup de gens dans ce pays, qui sont d'une
arrogance totale, et ne comprennent donc toujours pas pourquoi le reste
de la planete commence serieusement a leur vouloir du mal,
collectivement et individuellement. Sa reflexion est typique: ils ne
sont pas d'accord avec nous, ou ne veulent pas obeir, donc il faut les
bomber.
Bon, j'arrete, ca fait monter ma tension.

--
€€€ USA, THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED PLUTOCRACY €€€

http://www.usenet.com
post #22 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:07:02 -0500, "M. Bakunin" <a@mortaucons.org>
wrote:

>In article <1156936407.624739.116670@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Jo" <j-avenet@artefrance.fr> wrote:
>
>> > Jihadists drop a few atom bombs on them.

>> Pour l'instant, ceux qui ont pris des avions sur le coin de la gueule,
>> c'est
>> pas nous...

>Jo, ne repondez pas a cet idiot, qui a un niveau intellectuel genre
>jardin d'enfants.. Les 3/4 de ce qu'il ecrit sont des conne...es
>totales, et le reste des insultes. Il est je crois a la limite de la
>debilite. Cela dit comme beaucoup de gens dans ce pays, qui sont d'une
>arrogance totale, et ne comprennent donc toujours pas pourquoi le reste
>de la planete commence serieusement a leur vouloir du mal,
>collectivement et individuellement. Sa reflexion est typique: ils ne
>sont pas d'accord avec nous, ou ne veulent pas obeir, donc il faut les
>bomber.
>Bon, j'arrete, ca fait monter ma tension.

"Those damn French, they have a different word for everything."

Steve Martin
post #23 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

Jo, why are you answering someone obviously angry about something and just
spewing hatred?

"Jo" <j-avenet@artefrance.fr> wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

> The French are totally despicable in every regard. They will not defend
> Western Civilization. They are traitors and cowards. I hope the Islamist
> Jihadists drop a few atom bombs on them.

Pour l'instant, ceux qui ont pris des avions sur le coin de la gueule,
c'est
pas nous...

> French is an impossible language. I once tried to learn it in college and
> ended up hating everything French. I think it is their confounded language
> that prevents them from thinking clearly about anything.

Ben voilà: ça explique tout. C'est pour ça que Mochet et Faure n'ont
rien réussi.

> Regards,
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Ca fait peur, hein?
Jo - M5 Tica
post #24 of 256

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Padre" <spirito_santo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Edward Dolan skrev:
>>

>>>The French are totally despicable in every regard. They will not defend
>>>Western Civilization. They are traitors and cowards. I hope the Islamist
>>>Jihadists drop a few atom bombs on them.

>>>French is an impossible language. I once tried to learn it in college and
>>>ended up hating everything French.

>>ROFLMAO - what are you, 5 years old?
>>
>>So you are too stupid to learn French, and therefor they are
>>despicable. Oh maaan, i think I split my side there.

> No, you confounded idiot, the French will not defend Western Civilization
> and that is why they are despicable.
>
> Those who spend time and effort studying a foreign language when their first
> language is English are total idiots. Let the g.d. French learn English. An
> Englishman or an American who wants to learn French is nothing but a traitor
> to his people.

No, numbnuts, they will not defend Bush. There is a grand difference.

Ok, they are arrogant, and you can't really sound straight and speak
French at the same time, but that is beside the point.
post #25 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

In article <T4-dneFK7KbwW2rZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave.com>,
"Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote:

> I have been waiting a long time to get my hands around
> the throat of a g.d. French *****/bastard and let her/him know what I really

i thought you were just an idiotic coward spewing crap through, but i
was wrong. you're a sick idiotic coward.
you really need help.
as for your wish of expressing physically your hate on a french visitor,
just post your address online, and i'll make sure you wish will be
granted.

--
*** USA, THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED PLUTOCRACY ***
post #26 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

In article <aJKdnaR6lonNMGrZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@prairiewave.com>,
"Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote:

> The English lately are not much better than the French and deserve whatever
> the Islamist Jihadists decide to do to them.

stupid mongrel. if you use the extremists' attacks as a scale to judge
how bad a country is, yours gets the gold medal. after all, they knock
down 2 towers and 3000+ people.
every time you post something you do a demonstration of your stupidity.
you are so confused that it's not fun anymore. you really need help.
as for the french, english, german, and the rest of the planet your
government could not buy or coerce into helping invade iraq, they do not
despise the u.s., they just don't want to have anything to do with your
war monger fascistic so-called leaders. plain and simple. unlike you,
they are smart enough to make up their own mind, and are able to make a
distinction between the village idiot and his handlers, brain washed
republicans and taliban-type christian extremists and the rest of the
american population. people like you pollute democracy, and make it
impossible for people with different political preferences to exchange
idea and have intelligent and fruitful discussions.

--
*** USA, THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED PLUTOCRACY ***

http://www.usenet.com
post #27 of 256

"duh" <nosoupforU@yoohoo.com> wrote in message
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Padre" <spirito_santo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>ROFLMAO - what are you, 5 years old?
>>>
>>>So you are too stupid to learn French, and therefor they are
>>>despicable. Oh maaan, i think I split my side there.

>> No, you confounded idiot, the French will not defend Western Civilization
>> and that is why they are despicable.
>>
>> Those who spend time and effort studying a foreign language when their
>> first language is English are total idiots. Let the g.d. French learn
>> English. An Englishman or an American who wants to learn French is
>> nothing but a traitor to his people.

> No, numbnuts, they will not defend Bush. There is a grand difference.
>
> Ok, they are arrogant, and you can't really sound straight and speak
> French at the same time, but that is beside the point.

Even though my last name is of French origin, and I did take French in
school, even I do not like the French. The really smart French got out of
the country prior to 1789 and went to New France. Then the really really
smart French got out of New France prior to it becoming Quebec in 1867 and
moved to the US.

As King Richard said, The French? PTUI! And that was just back then. We
didn't have DeGaulle or the liberals now in power in France.

Charles of Schaumburg
post #28 of 256

Re: France and the French was Re: Big Disappointment: Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:31:40 -0500, "M. Bakunin" <a@mortaucons.org>
wrote:

>In article <aJKdnaR6lonNMGrZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@prairiewave.com>,
> "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote:
>
>> The English lately are not much better than the French and deserve whatever
>> the Islamist Jihadists decide to do to them.

>stupid mongrel. if you use the extremists' attacks as a scale to judge
>how bad a country is, yours gets the gold medal. after all, they knock
>down 2 towers and 3000+ people.

So, you approve of the action on Sept. 11?
post #29 of 256

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:57:04 -0500, "n5hsr" <n5hsr@comcast.net> wrote:

>"duh" <nosoupforU@yoohoo.com> wrote in message
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>> "Padre" <spirito_santo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> No, you confounded idiot, the French will not defend Western Civilization
>>> and that is why they are despicable.
>>>
>>> Those who spend time and effort studying a foreign language when their
>>> first language is English are total idiots. Let the g.d. French learn
>>> English. An Englishman or an American who wants to learn French is
>>> nothing but a traitor to his people.

>> No, numbnuts, they will not defend Bush. There is a grand difference.
>>
>> Ok, they are arrogant, and you can't really sound straight and speak
>> French at the same time, but that is beside the point.

>Even though my last name is of French origin, and I did take French in
>school, even I do not like the French. The really smart French got out of
>the country prior to 1789 and went to New France. Then the really really
>smart French got out of New France prior to it becoming Quebec in 1867 and
>moved to the US.
>
>As King Richard said, The French? PTUI! And that was just back then. We
>didn't have DeGaulle or the liberals now in power in France.
>
>Charles of Schaumburg

To change the subject and go OT to riding a bike...

Riding a bike in any fashion, grocery run, commuting, loaded or light
touring, etc., is an absolute joy anywhere in France, even in heavy
traffic.
post #30 of 256

R Brickston wrote:

> So, do you think that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is mentally stable enough to
> possess The Bomb?

Probably more so than Shrub
:-((
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: