I was SMOKIN' on the rollers today

Psycholist

Guest
I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we had
rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space heater going
full blast it was still under 40 in the building.

I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As I
stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a wet road
after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very weird. It was also very
weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and 32 mph over the course of a
typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph. When I started it was like I
was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were rubbing. No such luck.

All things I'll have to get used to on these wet winter days.

Bob C.

> I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we
> had rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space heater
> going full blast it was still under 40 in the building.
>
> I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
> freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As I
> stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a wet
> road after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very

When the air's humid (near saturation), it doesn't take much to do that.

> weird. It was also very weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and
> 32 mph over the course of a typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph.
> When I started it was like I was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were
> rubbing. No such luck.

The lube in the rollers was probably rather stiff from the cold (your wheels might have some of
that, too).

In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

> > I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we
> > had rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space
> > heater going full blast it was still under 40 in the building.
> >
> > I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
> > freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As
> > I stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a
> > wet road after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very
>
> When the air's humid (near saturation), it doesn't take much to do that.

I'm a pretty sweaty guy, and in Vancouver I get this effect all the time. I've had so much vapor
come off my body that it looked like I was smoldering during my commute. I can see the vapor in
front of my eyes, at a range of mere inches. The commuters must think I'm on fire.

> > weird. It was also very weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and
> > 32 mph over the course of a typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph.
> > When I started it was like I was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were
> > rubbing. No such luck.
>
> The lube in the rollers was probably rather stiff from the cold (your wheels might have some of
> that, too).

Yeah, and the lube in his knees, too.

I'm going to start tracking my commute times more carefully. It looks to me like I'm down minutes on
my typical times from last year, and I'm beginning to think it's not just the slightly clunkier bike
I have now.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
: I'm going to start tracking my commute times more carefully. It looks to me like I'm down minutes
: on my typical times from last year, and I'm beginning to think it's not just the slightly clunkier
: bike I have now.

well, what did you expect ryan? just the talk of fenders, city-bikes, recumbants, reynolds 531, 32
spoke wheels and commuting would be enuf to slow you down ... much less, god only knows, what
you've actually done to that bike beyond just words. slightly clunkier? you wish. it probably
weighs 23 poounds.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> well, what did you expect ryan? just the talk of fenders, city-bikes, recumbants, reynolds 531, 32
> spoke wheels and commuting would be enuf to
slow
> you down ... much less, god only knows, what you've actually done to that bike beyond just words.
> slightly clunkier? you wish. it probably weighs 23 poounds.

What kind of respectable commuter bike weighs less than 30 pounds? Any thing less than that and
it is either too expensive, too pretty, doesn't have proper weather protection, doesn't have
enough load-carrying capacity, needs more lights, or has to be leaned against a wall when it's
not being ridden!

-Buck

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:39:25 GMT, "Buck" <s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c
o m> wrote:

>What kind of respectable commuter bike weighs less than 30 pounds? Any thing less than that and
>it is either too expensive, too pretty, doesn't have proper weather protection, doesn't have
>enough load-carrying capacity, needs more lights, or has to be leaned against a wall when it's
>not being ridden!

Heh, my commuter bike (which is also my only bike) weighs 36 pounds, is neither very expensive nor
pretty, doesn't have any weather protection (don't need it), any load-carrying capacity besides
myself (don't need it), definately does not need more light (the light system costs more than the
bike) and must be leaned against a wall, yeah.

Doesn't seem to be very respectable, yet does more than 11 miles commuting a day every workday the
whole year :)