Hiccup theory

I think hiccups help us digest food.This is my theory anyway, hiccups
take a ball of food in the stomach, toss it, flip it, and break it up.
This way the food is better exposed to our body.

There is no magic in a hiccup, we do them to stimulate our digestion.

me (b)

b <[email protected]> wrote:
>I think hiccups help us digest food.This is my theory anyway, hiccups
>take a ball of food in the stomach, toss it, flip it, and break it up.
>This way the food is better exposed to our body.
>
>There is no magic in a hiccup, we do them to stimulate our digestion.

Our stomachs are made of muscle. They're already doing
what you're thinking of.

Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

--Blair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:35:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
> in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

Are there any bad reasons? My hiccups are always related to
alcohol consumption. Usually when I'm not eating or hungry.

-sw

On Jun 26, 11:06 pm, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:35:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
> > in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

> Are there any bad reasons? My hiccups are always related to
> alcohol consumption. Usually when I'm not eating or hungry.
>
> -sw

Bad reason: 99% of beer, on my first taste, I hiccup for at least 10
minutes. If a beer is the 'right' beer, I do not hiccup.
http://www.widmer.com/beer_hefeweizen.aspx

Dee Dee

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:06:22 GMT, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:35:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>> Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
>> in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

>Are there any bad reasons? My hiccups are always related to
>alcohol consumption. Usually when I'm not eating or hungry.

I rarely get hiccups and if I get them, they are not alcohol induced.
Sheesh! You and DeeDee must be lightweights at drinking.

Practice makes perfect! ;)

--
See return address to reply by email

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:08:31 -0700, sf wrote:

> I rarely get hiccups and if I get them, they are not alcohol induced.
> Sheesh! You and DeeDee must be lightweights at drinking.

In my mid to late 20's I used to drink a fifth to liter of hard
alcohol every night for 7+ years. Now I've down-graded to mostly
Belgian ales twice a week, and have drank less than 5 liters of
the hard stuff in the last 10 years (make that 8 once I polish
off this bottle of gin). I was pretty bad, but somehow managed
to stay employed all that time.

> Practice makes perfect! ;)

Oh, I practiced too much was the problem. I'm regressing now.
"Drink Less, Drink Better" is my new motto.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

> In my mid to late 20's I used to drink a fifth to liter of hard
> alcohol every night for 7+ years. Now I've down-graded to mostly
> Belgian ales twice a week, and have drank less than 5 liters of
> the hard stuff in the last 10 years (make that 8 once I polish
> off this bottle of gin). I was pretty bad, but somehow managed
> to stay employed all that time.
>
>> Practice makes perfect! ;)

> Oh, I practiced too much was the problem. I'm regressing now.
> "Drink Less, Drink Better" is my new motto.
>
> -sw

Good for you! Your liver, friends and family will all thank you.

Your motto reminds me of something I just read in M.F.K Fisher's writing
"Bring it Forth" (included in the book "The Art of Eating") where she
describes the excesses of our youth haunting us in our later years if we
continue on in the same manner. She writes "But we must grow old, and we
must eat. It seems far from unreasonable, once these facts are accepted,
for a man to set himself the pleasant task of educating his palate so
that he can do the former not grudgingly and in spite of the latter, but
easily and agreeably because of it."

Eat less, but eat better sounds like a good plan to me :)

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:35:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
> > Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
> > in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

> Are there any bad reasons? My hiccups are always related to
> alcohol consumption. Usually when I'm not eating or hungry.

I have a nephew who had a bad case of hiccups when he was about 14. They
went on for more than a year.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:29:17 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> Oh, I practiced too much was the problem. I'm regressing now.
>> "Drink Less, Drink Better" is my new motto.

> Good for you! Your liver, friends and family will all thank you.

And those hospitals and police departments! Had I lived in
smaller towns, they would have had layoffs.

I was always a happy drunk. Rarely belligerent. And yes, I was
posting here back then. I wasn't even close to being a Barry,
but it was years before I learned not to post if you had to keep
one eye closed to even read what you typed.

> Eat less, but eat better sounds like a good plan to me :)

I'm working on that theory now. But I try and pack too much
flavor into smaller amounts, which doesn't work a lot of the
time.

-sw

Dave Smith wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:35:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>
>>> Hiccups are a spontaneous and/or irritation-induced spasm
>>> in the diaphragm. There's no known good reason for one.

>> Are there any bad reasons? My hiccups are always related to
>> alcohol consumption. Usually when I'm not eating or hungry.

> I have a nephew who had a bad case of hiccups when he was about 14. They
> went on for more than a year.

Thorazine (yes, the psych drug)is the solution! We give that to patients
who for various reasons have extended bouts of this problem, especially
when there is diaphramatic irritation.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:48:34 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have a nephew who had a bad case of hiccups when he was about 14. They
> went on for more than a year.

Mine last several (2-12) hours at a time. I had a real bad
problem with them a couple years ago, weekly, but have only had
them once in the last year.

-sw

I have an obnoxious co-worker who has what I call "rogue hiccups".
They come out of nowhere, and it's usually only one, but it's really
loud. She sits about 10 feet away, and it usually scares the **** out
of me!

merryb wrote:

> I have an obnoxious co-worker who has what I call "rogue hiccups".
> They come out of nowhere, and it's usually only one, but it's really
> loud. She sits about 10 feet away, and it usually scares the **** out
> of me!

I had an employee who would literally scream every time she sneezed.
Every outburst was followed by a chorus of "goddamn it"s, "geeze"s and
"fercrissake"s as people cleaned up botched typing, dropped items and
spilled drinks. Hayfever season was awful for about 75% of the people
in the office but she was the only one making such a production of it.
I finally asked her to please knock it off. She huffed that it wasn't
her fault that she was sneezing, everybody was sneezing. And I told her
yeah, everybody's sneezing but you're the *only one* routing sneezes
through her vocal cords. She did make an effort to stifle herself after
that.

> I had an employee who would literally scream every time she sneezed.
> Every outburst was followed by a chorus of "goddamn it"s, "geeze"s and
> "fercrissake"s as people cleaned up botched typing, dropped items and
> spilled drinks. Hayfever season was awful for about 75% of the people
> in the office but she was the only one making such a production of it.
> I finally asked her to please knock it off. She huffed that it wasn't
> her fault that she was sneezing, everybody was sneezing. And I told her
> yeah, everybody's sneezing but you're the *only one* routing sneezes
> through her vocal cords. She did make an effort to stifle herself after
> that.

Jeez, wonder if this is the same person! I think silence makes her
uncomfortable- always talking (to others or herself), whistling,
humming, cursing, etc. Plus, as an added bonus, she has no teeth, so I
have the pleasure of watching her gum her food! Sorry for the rant
here- I'm done:)

On Jun 27, 2:27 pm, merryb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeez, wonder if this is the same person! I think silence makes her
> uncomfortable- always talking (to others or herself), whistling,
> humming, cursing, etc. Plus, as an added bonus, she has no teeth, so I
> have the pleasure of watching her gum her food! Sorry for the rant
> here- I'm done:)

Must be a little Tourrett Syndrome.

What always gets me are women moaning or making little sounds in the
bathroom stalls. I've never understood that. I want to say, "Are you
all right?" but don't, of course.

I had a VERY close in-law relative that would sort of skip-to-ma-loo
and humm when we were out shopping. Was doing it up to her late
80's. Never could figure that out either. She always wanted
attention, and I wondered if it were Tourett or an attention-seeking
device. A question to ask at the Pearly-Gates.
Dee Dee

.. She always wanted
> attention, and I wondered if it were Tourett or an attention-seeking
> device. A question to ask at the Pearly-Gates.
> Dee Dee

I think in my case that it's attention seeking- she's rather self
centered.

On Jun 27, 10:17 am, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
I was pretty bad, but somehow managed
> to stay employed all that time.

congrats

I know you had to want it

On Jun 27, 11:38 am, merryb <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have an obnoxious co-worker who has what I call "rogue hiccups".
> They come out of nowhere, and it's usually only one, but it's really
> loud. She sits about 10 feet away, and it usually scares the **** out
> of me!

one day she is going to eat you

It would be pretty tough to gum me down- I'd refuse to go down, and
then she would choke:)

On Jun 27, 3:02 pm, Dee Dee <[email protected]> wrote:

> What always gets me are women moaning or making little sounds in the
> bathroom stalls. I've never understood that. I want to say, "Are you
> all right?" but don't, of course.

that makes no sense.
I've heard a woman do this, but she is always is dramatic and
attention seeking

can't do nothing where it's going to get her some attention

it's ******** DD