"Eat at Bill's"

Christine Dabney

Guest
Hiya folks,

I am up late at night and perusing food blogs....yes, what else is a
foodie to do late at night?

Anyway, I was reading David Lebovitz's blog (former pastry chef at
Chez Panisse) and he is talking about one of my favorite markets in
the SF bay area. Monterey Market. There is now a documentary out
about it.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/07/eat_at_bills.html#more

I love this market. When I am in the bay area, I am shopping there at
least once a week, if not more. Berkeley Bowl probably gets more
attention from bay area fans, but Monterey Market stands alone.

The outside courtyard is what is part of what makes this place so
magical to me. In that courtyard, are the things that the market has
special deals on, or is discounting heavily. For me, as a frugal
shopper, and for countless other shoppers of Monterey Market, it is
the outside that is a blessing. The freshest romaine that just came
in...discounted heavily to maybe 3 heads for $1. Dry farmed
tomatoes, at an incredible price. And they are RIPE. Peppers of all
colors...incredible varieties of apples...you name it. It appears
outside (which is how you tell the cashier) and it is an incredible
deal.

Inside is the same. The long counter of mushrooms, all varieties is
just amazing. Varieties I have only read about. They have truffles
in season. They have specials running on some mushrooms. It is just
intoxicating to a foodie like me.

It is like this all over the market. Sometimes there will be a rare
variety of citrus, or a variety of greens you have read about but
never seen elsewhere. You can buy it there, and you should. It will
probably be gone in a few days.

Famous chefs shop there. I know I saw Michael Wild of Bay Wolf there
one day, shopping for his restaurant. I am pretty damned sure that in
the early days of my tenure in the bay area, that I saw MFK Fisher
there, in all her lovely arrogance. At least this person I saw looked
like some of the photograghs I have seen.

And people like me shop the market. And others that are just buying
food for the week. It is a neighborhood market...but it has
extraordinary produce. And a good wine section too..;)

I can't say enough about this market. Yes, it has it's down spots,
but overall, it is incredible.

Those of you in the SF bay area, who haven't gone there..I urge you to
do so. Serene...GO!!!!!!!!!!!! If you haven't gone by the time I am
back in the bay area, I will pick you up and take you. It is MY market
of choice, above and beyond Berkeley Bowl.

I miss it so much.

Christine, anxious to get back to the bay area.

Christine Dabney said...

> Anyway, I was reading David Lebovitz's blog (former pastry chef at
> Chez Panisse) and he is talking about one of my favorite markets in
> the SF bay area. Monterey Market. There is now a documentary out
> about it.
>
> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/07/eat_at_bills.html#more
>
> I love this market.

You sure make it sound great! I visited the link and was a tad disappointed
that the film of the market is for sale on DVD! That's the kind of video
I'd expect to see on YouTube. It's certainly not a date flick. ;)

Anyway. If I'm ever over that way I'll be sure to stop by.

Thanks,

Andy

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> I am up late at night and perusing food blogs....yes, what else is a
> foodie to do late at night?

Snack. ;)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

> You sure make it sound great! I visited the link and was a tad disappointed
> that the film of the market is for sale on DVD! That's the kind of video
> I'd expect to see on YouTube. It's certainly not a date flick. ;)

Hi Christine and Andy,

I'm the person who made "Eat at Bill's". It's not an infomercial. It's
a doc. Bill agreed to let me make it because he's all about supporting
local agriculture, and I wanted people to see how one guy, his store
and its customers can make a big difference in the lives of a lot of
small farmers. OK, sounds preachy, but it's not that severe -- some
people actually think "Eat at Bill's" is entertaining.

I just didn't want you to think Bill's the kind of guy who would ever
make an infomercial about his store.

Glad you like the store -- me too!

cheers,

Lisa B

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:52:12 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>Hi Christine and Andy,
>
>I'm the person who made "Eat at Bill's". It's not an infomercial. It's
>a doc. Bill agreed to let me make it because he's all about supporting
>local agriculture, and I wanted people to see how one guy, his store
>and its customers can make a big difference in the lives of a lot of
>small farmers. OK, sounds preachy, but it's not that severe -- some
>people actually think "Eat at Bill's" is entertaining.

I wish I could see more than the little snippet I saw.

I wasn't trying to do a sell on the documentary or anything. It just
pleased me so much that one of my favorite all time markets was the
subject of a documentary. It's a special market...and I hope it
continues to exist for years into the future. I wanted to show folks
that I know this market, and that it is something special.

I started shopping there back in 1985, I think. I have been shopping
there ever since, when I am in the bay area.

I am always so amazed at what I can find there. And the prices for
that quality!!!
>I just didn't want you to think Bill's the kind of guy who would ever
>make an infomercial about his store.

Oh, I know. I have seen him around the market, working as hard as
anyone else there, maybe harder.

Monterey Market is one of the unsung markets in the area. Berkeley
Bowl gets way more attention, and is about 3 times as big, maybe
bigger. They both have their attributes, but Monterey Market has a
more intimate feel to it, and sometimes there are things there I just
can't find at any other market. It is such a rush to pull up to the
market, and find a big pile of something that is a special that day,
whether it be a glorious pile of red peppers, or pimentos (the real
thing) or something else that is exotic, or not so exotic. I always
buy more than I intend....
>Glad you like the store -- me too!

Yes, I can't wait til I get back to the bay area from NM, to be
shopping there once again.

Christine