newbie looking for a better unicycle

Joe_sixpack

Guest
I'm new to this and after a few months of riding I'm really starting to
get the hang of and enjoy unicycling. I particularly like taking it
offroad but my 20" sun uni just isn't cutting the mustard. The tire
slips a good bit and I would like to get something heavier, prefferably
with a beefy/knobby tire.

What do you guys here think about the Torker Unistar DX 20-inch Trials
unicycle? From what I've read it's pretty much made to take a beating.
Would anyone here recommend that uni or would you recommend something
different. I'm not very knowledgable about this so, any info would be
greatly appreciated.

--
Joe_sixpack
http://www.usenet.com

Yes. Very good unicycle. For offroad, however, 24" might be better.

If you want to do other stuff besides just offroad on it, though, you
may very well want to stick to 20".

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com

I find offroad difficult on my 20" DX, but on a friend's 24" DX it was
great. The trails we ride on are closer to downhill than XC riding for
bikes though, with many rocky sections and hills.

--
SNES350
http://www.usenet.com

onelesscar wrote:
> Yes. Very good unicycle. For offroad, however, 24" might be better.
>
> If you want to do other stuff besides just offroad on it, though, you
> may very well want to stick to 20".

i second that. the dx is a great uni, especially for the price.

--
chicagounicycle

Join the Chicago Unicycle Community:
http://www.myspace.com/chicagounicycle
http://www.usenet.com

And it's stronger, cooler looking, better made. They are out of stock
everywhere, but your ship should come in around mid August from what I
read. The KH isn't that expensive, say 425 or so if you know where and
how to buy one. Read this thread.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60873

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

feel the light wrote:
> And it's stronger, cooler looking, better made. They are out of stock
> everywhere, but your ship should come in around mid August from what I
> read. The KH isn't that expensive, say 425 or so if you know where and
> how to buy one. Read this thread.
> http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60873

Yes you like KH. Yes AEBike sells them cheap. Ye- Do you have to keep
up this nonsence with posting links to that thread twice a day? This
person has a 20in sun, A dx is a nice step up, and probably in their
price range. Try explaining the KH a bit more other than "cooler
looking"..... Stronger than a DX? Arguabley. Better made? I dont know,
better materials, sure, I havnt witnessed either being made.
Dude, its getting old. Either say why you think the KH is good or dont
Say anything at all.. This person was not asking where to get the
cheapiest most high-end unicycle. I think we were letting that thread
die for a reason. AE will have our bussiness, now do Kris, UDC, and the
rest of us a favor and stop posting that link.

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com

Joe,

The DX is great for the cost. It is a bit heavy, but from a former DX
rider- It will only build your muscles stronger. If money is no issue
than looking into a KH isnt a bad idea. A stock KH uni pretty much
beats anything besides a custom build.

Yes the DXs are bomb proof. They had some problems with the 06 frames.
They have fixed that and replaced any borken/returned frames. The only
thing I dont like about the DXs are the pedals... thats an easy fix
tho.

--

agentQ wrote:
> Yes you like KH. Yes AEBike sells them cheap. Ye- Do you have to keep up
> this nonsence with posting links to that thread twice a day? This
> person has a 20in sun, A dx is a nice step up, and probably in their
> price range. Try explaining the KH a bit more other than "cooler
> looking"..... Stronger than a DX? Arguabley. Better made? I dont know,
> better materials, sure, I havnt witnessed either being made.
> Dude, its getting old. Either say why you think the KH is good or dont
> Say anything at all.. This person was not asking where to get the
> cheapiest most high-end unicycle. I think we were letting that thread
> die for a reason. AE will have our bussiness, now do Kris, UDC, and the
> rest of us a favor and stop posting that link.

Amen to that, I've been getting really irritated with how he keeps
posting that in almost all threads about someone looking for a new
unicycle. Its getting old and as agentQ said, the thread was being left
to its death for a reason.

As for the original poster, I definitely recommend the DX, its a great
unicycle for the price however if you are planning to do a lot off
offroad then you may want to consider the 24" version.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - *The First
Serious Unicycle Computer Game* - -Simple multiplayer muni concept demo
soon.-*
http://www.usenet.com

Maybe you should try other riding styles first, because maybe u can find
something you like more and get a unicycle to fit both styles. :D

For example, at first i wanted to do Muni, so i would have ended up
getting a 24" DX but then i tried trial and Street, so i got a 20" DX
:rolleyes:

--
NKahler

______________________________
Check out some of my stuff! :D

http://nkahler.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com

agentQ wrote:
> Yes you like KH. Yes AEBike sells them cheap. Ye- Do you have to keep up
> this nonsence with posting links to that thread twice a day? This
> person has a 20in sun, A dx is a nice step up, and probably in their
> price range. Try explaining the KH a bit more other than "cooler
> looking"..... Stronger than a DX? Arguabley. Better made? I dont know,
> better materials, sure, I havnt witnessed either being made.
> Dude, its getting old. Either say why you think the KH is good or dont
> Say anything at all.. This person was not asking where to get the
> cheapiest most high-end unicycle. I think we were letting that thread
> die for a reason. AE will have our bussiness, now do Kris, UDC, and the
> rest of us a favor and stop posting that link.

How does convincing a new rider that needs our real knowledge and
help, to buy a heavy piece of **** like a torker, instead of a KH, help
Kris? (the owner of KH). And why if your heavy torker is doing so much
to build your muscles, do you PM me asking me not to tell any more
people about the AE Bike deal, because you don't want them to sell out
again before you get yours ?

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

Joe_sixpack wrote:
> I'm new to this and after a few months of riding I'm really starting to
> get the hang of and enjoy unicycling. I particularly like taking it
> offroad but my 20" sun uni just isn't cutting the mustard. The tire
> slips a good bit and I would like to get something heavier, prefferably
> with a beefy/knobby tire.
>
> What do you guys here think about the Torker Unistar DX 20-inch Trials
> unicycle? From what I've read it's pretty much made to take a beating.
> Would anyone here recommend that uni or would you recommend something
> different. I'm not very knowledgable about this so, any info would be
> greatly appreciated.

Just get the 24" Torker. Its Freakin awesome when it comes to muni, and
You can do lots of trials stuff on it as well, it all just takes
practice.

--
The UniSLAB

"What party.... no tell her I'll see her later tonight I'm going
unicycling Bi*ch!"
http://www.usenet.com

From what I have learned, the best 24 out there is the kh 24.
especially for mountain stuff. that Is what frame I have decided to
build my unicycle from. I am into trials/mountain riding.

so ya, another vote for the kh 24 and the torker 24.

I would love to ride either of these unicycles.

both of these unicycles are built ridiculously tough. especially for a
"newbie".

how much do you weigh?

joseph

--
JosephCampbell
http://www.usenet.com

feel the light wrote:
> How does convincing a new rider that needs our real knowledge and help,
> to* buy a heavy piece of **** like a torker*, instead of a KH, help
> Kris? (the owner of KH). And why if your heavy torker is doing so much
> to build your muscles, do you PM me asking me not to tell any more
> people about the AE Bike deal, because you don't want them to sell out
> again before you get yours ?

HAha, that is so wrong. Its not that heavy, about 2-3 pounds more than
a KH. WOohoo, big savings there...

And its not ****, it takes 8-9 sets from me, 8 foot drops to flat,
grinds, tons of time it being dropped downstairs and ledges. Its lasted
me well over a year and still going strong.

If your looking for a good deal, get the DX, if your able to spend a
little more, go Qu-Ax, if you can spend more than that, get a Koxx, and
if your able to go all out, buy the KH. All of those unis are amazing.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com

Yeah, the DX is certainly not a piece of ****...it takes an abuse, and I
too can testify that it is not that much heavier than a KH.

feel the light wrote:
> How does convincing a new rider that needs our real knowledge and help,
> to buy a heavy piece of **** like a torker, instead of a KH, help Kris?
> (the owner of KH)

It doesn't. Not every purchase needs to help Kris. There are other
brands out there. No need to push the top of the line model to someone
who doesn't need or want the top of the line model, especially if it is
over $100 more and currently out of stock most places.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com

agentQ wrote:
> you should have PM'd him. I think the deal was that AE can do whatever
> they want.. If you keep that thread alive through other threads they
> are gonna be more likely to get cut off completely. PLEASE DONT KILL
> THE CHEAP KH SOURCE. Im not saying keep it a secret, just please PM
> next time it will be better for al of us in the long run. Thanks
> -Sam
>
> PS they were asking about KOXX anyway, hhaha. Just jokin a bit

If yer gonna quote me on a -private- conversation, atleast dont twist
my words. That time The person was specifically asking about a Koxx
uni.
Enough said on that topic.

Sorry about the thread jack, Joe.
Im out.
-Sam

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com

When I start to get abrasive I seem to default to course sometimes.
Those guys ^^^ are right. The dx is well made, if a bit porkey. I just
couldn't resist pointing out how Agent and Brian are both waiting for
AE Bike to get KH's again.
A dx is a great uni. Especially if you can find a good deal on a used
one. They are tough, and you could sell it to a friend later for what
you paid for it.
Buying new, I would say a 375 $ KH would be a better deal then a 250
$ dx.
But then I am a fat guy who just ordered 93 $ Ti pedal axles to save 3
oz. So maybe I am not the most rational voice here.:)

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

Ditto on letting that thread die. I was getting sick of seeing it all
the time.
NKahler wrote:
> Maybe you should try other riding styles first, because maybe u can find
> something you like more and get a unicycle to fit both styles. :D
>
> For example, at first i wanted to do Muni, so i would have ended up
> getting a 24" DX but then i tried trial and Street, so i got a 20" DX
> :rolleyes:

+1
If I were to do things over I would have goten decent learner, like a
LX, tried a buch of different stuff and saved for the best uni I could
afford for the type of riding I wanted to do.

Get a Maxxis Max Daddy 20X2.25 tire and ride some Muni, some trials,
learn some tricks, and watch a bunch of videos. Just stay away from
all drops bigger than a curb (and make sure that rim is tentioned
properly-not hard to do), and not tons of those drops. In a couple of
months you will probably discover the type of riding you will want to
do the most, and should have enough $ saved up for a -SWEET -uni.

Then again, if you aren't sure this is something you are going to
really get into get the DX. I ride one and I've tried a KH. What I
liked the best was the crank length. The 165's was the perfect long
length for me, better than my 170 mm. Qu-Ax cranks.
My vote is to get a Muni, unless you want to do street, or A LOT of
trials. As someone said you can do trials on a 24", it's just a bit
harder (in skill and manuverability), and it is much better for Muni.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com

It's great to get so many responses so quick. To answer the omst common
questions about my post:

I'm about 120 pounds and I plan on doing minimal trials riding. The
biggest drops I am concerned with are indeed curbs because I will be
riding this thing around town once I am comfortable enough on it. I'm
more concerned with riding off-road.

I may have to consider a 24" uni know. That's something I wouldn't
have considered before. Thanks for all your advice, especially for
posting so quick.

-Joe

--
Joe_sixpack
http://www.usenet.com

Joe_sixpack wrote:
> It's great to get so many responses so quick. To answer the omst common
> questions about my post:
>
> I'm about 120 pounds and I plan on doing minimal trials riding. The
> biggest drops I am concerned with are indeed curbs because I will be
> riding this thing around town once I am comfortable enough on it. I'm
> more concerned with riding off-road.
>
> I may have to consider a 24" uni know. That's something I wouldn't
> have considered before. Thanks for all your advice, especially for
> posting so quick.
>
> -Joe

I would definately say get a 24" if your going to be riding around
town. The 20" would be a lot less practical if your going to be doing a
lot of distance riding and taking it off road. It honestly sounds like
you should get a 24" Torker dx. I know other people will disagree and
say get a KH top of the line blah blah blah but in reality you don't
need that uni....yet:D

But in all seriousness I would highly recommend getting the 24" Torker
for the simple fact that it's a great learner uni for all things, muni
and trials, and it can take one hell of a beating....trust me.

--
The UniSLAB

"What party.... no tell her I'll see her later tonight I'm going
unicycling Bi*ch!"
http://www.usenet.com

After some thought and lots of info from all of you guys here (thanks),
I ordered a torker DX. All I have to do now is wait.

-Joe

--
Joe_sixpack
http://www.usenet.com