Need cheap pedals

Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Guest
I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
fit standard cranks?

Thanks!
--
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On Jul 27, 10:07 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
> pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
> pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
> or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
> on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
> cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
> fit standard cranks?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Mike Rocket J Squirrel

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...ice1&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Platform Pedals

$13 or $15 before 20% off coupon from Nashbar today. Order some other
stuff to spread shipping.

<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
> pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
> pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
> or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
> on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
> cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
> fit standard cranks?

The Xmarts usually have some resin pedals for under a tenner. Make
sure they're not 1/2" thread.

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
> I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
> pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
> pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
> or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
> on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
> cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
> fit standard cranks?

Your LBS does not have a case of $15 ~$20 pedals?
WTF?? Try an LBS which commonly services bicycles. These are a commodity.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

My resin pedals lasted less than 6 months on my Schwinn Moab II
bicycle. I'd ratyher have NO pedals than a set of resin pedals, if
buying a used bicycle on craiglist ... They are worse than nothing,
imho.

A better choice is Performance which often has MTB "flat" rattrap
pedals in the $12.95 to $15.95 range, and the only plastic is the
dustcaps ... Some (wellgo) even come with removable face plates ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

>Can you source replacement cages?

Irrelevent! The last time I needed replacement cages, I simply got
cages from another pedal and widened / moved the hole to make my
replacement cages ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Jul 27, 6:16 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > here is the lowest-cost decent pedal from wellgo, under $15, according
> > towww.froogle.com:

> >http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14236-240_WELL95-3-Parts-65-Pedals/W...

> > Wellgo LU-964 pedal with clips & straps, silver with black REMOVEABLE
> > cages, $12.98/pair, 360 grams.

> > Gosh, these appear to be a raging bargain !!

> Can you source replacement cages?

who cares about replacement cages, I wanna see the balloon toed clown
shoes they're designed for!

On Jul 27, 10:17 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:07 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
> > pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
> > pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
> > or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
> > on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
> > cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
> > fit standard cranks?

> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Mike Rocket J Squirrel

> http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=60001181&category=6000...
>
> $13 or $15 before 20% off coupon from Nashbar today. Order some other
> stuff to spread shipping.

Nashbar item NS-CGP, now $12.99 (before the "20% off any order"
promotion is factored in), is often $9.99 when there is no such
promotion (and, if you have a 10% code from a catalog, etc., it would
apply). IOW, beware Nashbar's pricing. policies.

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
>
> > I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
> > pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
> > pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
> > or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
> > on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
> > cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
> > fit standard cranks?

> Your LBS does not have a case of $15 ~$20 pedals?
> WTF?? Try an LBS which commonly services bicycles. These are a commodity.

I would have thought most LBS's would have a box of "take-off"
platform pedals that were removed when the customer upgraded pedals at
the time of purchase?

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Can you source replacement cages?

> Irrelevent! The last time I needed replacement cages, I simply got
> cages from another pedal and widened / moved the hole to make my
> replacement cages ...

You can buy whole new pedal sets for $13. How long did it take you to take
cages from another pedal, widen/move the hole and assemble the parts (plus
the loss of value of the other, now cageless pedal).

What's the value of your time?

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman typed:
> Andrew Muzi wrote:
>> Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
>>
>>> I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
>>> pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my good
>>> pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals to sell
>>> or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that I bought
>>> on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20 thread the
>>> cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway platforms that
>>> fit standard cranks?

>> Your LBS does not have a case of $15 ~$20 pedals?
>> WTF?? Try an LBS which commonly services bicycles. These are a commodity.

> I would have thought most LBS's would have a box of "take-off"
> platform pedals that were removed when the customer upgraded pedals at
> the time of purchase?

Exactly what I was hoping to find. Alas . . .

-- mike rocket j squirrel

A Muzi typed:
> Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
>> I have a couple of bicycles that I want to sell locally. I tossed the
>> pedals they came with years ago and don't want to sell them with my
>> good pedals. The local shops don't have any throwaway platform pedals
>> to sell or give to me and the pair of inexpensive platform pedals that
>> I bought on eBay have a smaller spindle than the standard 9/16x20
>> thread the cranks sport. Who's got a lead on two pair of throwaway
>> platforms that fit standard cranks?

> Your LBS does not have a case of $15 ~$20 pedals?
> WTF?? Try an LBS which commonly services bicycles. These are a commodity.

That's not too much less that I expect these bikes will sell for.
"Throwaway pedals" is the key word here. I don't want to throw the bikes
away. I regret having thrown away the pedals the bikes came with.

-- mike rocket j squirrel

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

> A Muzi wrote:
> >
> > Your LBS does not have a case of $15 ~$20 pedals?
> > WTF?? Try an LBS which commonly services bicycles. These are a
> > commodity.

> That's not too much less that I expect these bikes will sell for.
> "Throwaway pedals" is the key word here. I don't want to throw the bikes
> away. I regret having thrown away the pedals the bikes came with.

Do you have a hippie bike collective near you? Those places have bike
parts essentially free to good homes (even if there is a nominal
price).

Here are some $3/pr nylon pedals from an eBay store I've done quite a
bit of business with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-OF-BMX-BICYCLE-PLATFORM-PEDALS-PART-477_W0QQitemZ290136444944QQihZ019

Chalo

"datakoll" aka gene daniels wrote:
> somemoregasborg!
>
> http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=114
>
> butt on the hole, nashbar's cheapo line goesmaybe 2000+ miles with
> repack and timely adjustments....

And the Lifetime Achievement Award for Creative Misuse of Homonyms
goes to mr. gene daniels of rec.bicycles.tech.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> And the Lifetime Achievement Award for Creative Misuse of Homonyms
> goes to mr. gene daniels of rec.bicycles.tech.

The English version of 'lorem ipsum' as Mr Dacey noted.