nice salad dressing

women club

Guest
hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
are some best salad dressings?

women club wrote:
> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> are some best salad dressings?

That's a subject likely to elicit some strong opinions, i prefer a home
made vinaigrette (recipes on request) or a home made butter milk & blue
cheese salad dressing.

The only commercial brand i have ever found that i even remotely care
for is called Garrard's and comes in a triangular bottle, i prefer the
Italian vinaigrette but they make several varieties
--
JL

"women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> are some best salad dressings?

Make your own. Buy a good extra virgin oil. Buy the a tasty vinegar, whether
it be plain old white wine, sherry, balsamic, or whatever. If you're too
lazy to chase a recipe, you buy dressing mix from Penzy's. Your dressing
will be much much better for a fraction of the cost. It's fast, easy, and
you can use it the next day, or beyond.

Kent

i like MARZETTI'S (found in the bagged lettuce section)

"women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> are some best salad dressings?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:00:02 -0500, "readandpostrosie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i like MARZETTI'S (found in the bagged lettuce section)

Marzetti's Ultimate Blue Cheese dressing is out of this world!

On Jul 29, 10:00 pm, women club <[email protected]> wrote:
> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> are some best salad dressings?

Does anyone have a recipe from Europe?

N.

"women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> are some best salad dressings?

1 garlic clove crushed
Salt
Pepper
Sugar (pinch)
juice of 1 lemon (fresh)
enough EVOO to emulsify.
Fresh or dried herbs to taste

Dimitri

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:00:02 -0500, "readandpostrosie"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>i like MARZETTI'S (found in the bagged lettuce section)
>>

> Marzetti's Ultimate Blue Cheese dressing is out of this world!

That reminds me of "Marie's" Roquefort (blue cheese) salad dressing
sold refrigerated in the veggie section.

Its very good but pricey and i can bake a less expensive version, or for
the same amount of money the commercial product t costs a much larger
amount of home made. Yoghurt, buttermilk, garlic & blue cheese.
--
JL

Nancy2 wrote:

> On Jul 29, 10:00 pm, women club <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
>>are some best salad dressings?

> Does anyone have a recipe from Europe?
>
> N.

Is there some specific type of "European" salad dressing you want? i
have several from Escoffier, and of course the standard vinaigrette
recipe i use is from Julia Child's "Mastering The Art of French Cooking".

Very simple a 1:3 ratio of vinegar to oil

Add leon juice, garlic, mustard, black pepper, minced herbs such as
chives, tarragon, basil, oregano, thyme to taste. Make it as simple or
complex as you like, i add finely minced shallots, and one trick i
learned is that, if using immediately i add a pinch of sugar if its
going to sit for an hour or more before use i omit the sugar.

I prefer a raw, unpastruized apple cider vinegar, but that's just my
personal taste, use whatever vinegar you like. I am one of those weird
folk that do not like olive oil, but walnut oil is very good in a
vinaigrette, and i commonly use canola oil, but occasionally avocado or
grape seed oil.

Sauce ravigote adds chopped capers to the above, vinaigrette a la creme
adds a few tbs. of whipping creme. Sauce moutard omits the vinegar,
substitutes boiling water for the oil and adds mustard.

LEt me know if you would like more precise instructions.
--
JL

On Jul 30, 10:20?am, "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
> > are some best salad dressings?

> 1 garlic clove crushed
> Salt
> Pepper
> Sugar (pinch)
> juice of 1 lemon (fresh)
> enough EVOO to emulsify.
> Fresh or dried herbs to taste
>
> Dimitri

If you loose the sugar & add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard & you've got
my everyday salad dressing recipe. When lemons are silly expensive,
I'll use vinegar - usually the white balsamic from TJ's. Takes less
time to make than rummaging in the frige for bottled dressing. Think
most bottled dressings are just nasty - who needs all the emulsifiers,
stablizers & added sugars they usually toss in? There's a lot more
than Dmitri's perfectly acceptable "pinch" of sugar in most bottled
dressings - which sort of defeats the idea of a nice healthy salad.
Nancy T

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jul 29, 10:00 pm, women club <[email protected]> wrote:
>> hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
>> are some best salad dressings?

> Does anyone have a recipe from Europe?
>
> N.

Sure, the easiest would be classic Italian dressing. Just add whatever
amount of vinegar and oil you would like to your salad.

"ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 30, 10:20?am, "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > hello everyone i'm quite new around here and i would like to know what
>> > are some best salad dressings?

>> 1 garlic clove crushed
>> Salt
>> Pepper
>> Sugar (pinch)
>> juice of 1 lemon (fresh)
>> enough EVOO to emulsify.
>> Fresh or dried herbs to taste
>>
>> Dimitri

> If you loose the sugar & add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard & you've got
> my everyday salad dressing recipe. When lemons are silly expensive,
> I'll use vinegar - usually the white balsamic from TJ's. Takes less
> time to make than rummaging in the frige for bottled dressing. Think
> most bottled dressings are just nasty - who needs all the emulsifiers,
> stablizers & added sugars they usually toss in? There's a lot more
> than Dmitri's perfectly acceptable "pinch" of sugar in most bottled
> dressings - which sort of defeats the idea of a nice healthy salad.
> Nancy T

Interestingly, I have recently rediscovered the taste of regular white vinegar.

Dimitri

In article <[email protected]>,
Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

> That reminds me of "Marie's" Roquefort (blue cheese) salad dressing
> sold refrigerated in the veggie section.
>
> Its very good but pricey and i can bake a less expensive version, or for
> the same amount of money the commercial product t costs a much larger
> amount of home made. Yoghurt, buttermilk, garlic & blue cheese.

Roquefort and generic blue cheese aren't strictly comparable, as you
would see if you compared the price and taste from Marie's. I don't
doubt that you could beat the price of both of them with homemade, but I
don't think it's fair to compare homemade with generic blue cheese to
Marie's Roquefort.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:01:49 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Its very good but pricey and i can bake a less expensive version

Post your recipe on HOW you "bake" a less expensive version.

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Jul 30, 10:20?am, "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "women club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> 1 garlic clove crushed
>>> Salt
>>> Pepper
>>> Sugar (pinch)
>>> juice of 1 lemon (fresh)
>>> enough EVOO to emulsify.
>>> Fresh or dried herbs to taste
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> If you loose the sugar & add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard & you've got
>> my everyday salad dressing recipe. When lemons are silly expensive,
>> I'll use vinegar - usually the white balsamic from TJ's. Takes less
>> time to make than rummaging in the frige for bottled dressing. Think
>> most bottled dressings are just nasty - who needs all the
>> emulsifiers, stablizers & added sugars they usually toss in? There's
>> a lot more than Dmitri's perfectly acceptable "pinch" of sugar in
>> most bottled dressings - which sort of defeats the idea of a nice
>> healthy salad. Nancy T

> Interestingly, I have recently rediscovered the taste of regular white
> vinegar.
>
> Dimitri

wait till you re-try malt vinegar....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

"hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> If you loose the sugar & add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard & you've got
>>> my everyday salad dressing recipe. When lemons are silly expensive,
>>> I'll use vinegar - usually the white balsamic from TJ's. Takes less
>>> time to make than rummaging in the frige for bottled dressing. Think
>>> most bottled dressings are just nasty - who needs all the
>>> emulsifiers, stablizers & added sugars they usually toss in? There's
>>> a lot more than Dmitri's perfectly acceptable "pinch" of sugar in
>>> most bottled dressings - which sort of defeats the idea of a nice
>>> healthy salad. Nancy T

>> Interestingly, I have recently rediscovered the taste of regular white
>> vinegar.
>>
>> Dimitri

Olive Garden uses a dressing for their 'all you can eat' salad and many
people like it. There is online a 'faux' recipe of the Olive Garden
recipe.

I made it once to see if it was similar. As far as I could tell, it tasted
the same.
Dee Dee

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:01:49 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Its very good but pricey and i can bake a less expensive version

> Post your recipe on HOW you "bake" a less expensive version.

First you pre heat your oven to 375 F and then go curse your inability
to spot a typo with as much humour as you can make of it:)
--
JL

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That reminds me of "Marie's" Roquefort (blue cheese) salad dressing
>>sold refrigerated in the veggie section.
>>
>>Its very good but pricey and i can bake a less expensive version, or for
>>the same amount of money the commercial product t costs a much larger
>>amount of home made. Yoghurt, buttermilk, garlic & blue cheese.

> Roquefort and generic blue cheese aren't strictly comparable, as you
> would see if you compared the price and taste from Marie's. I don't
> doubt that you could beat the price of both of them with homemade, but I
> don't think it's fair to compare homemade with generic blue cheese to
> Marie's Roquefort.

Eh...im just not that picky, blue cheese is blue cheese, yes its got its
variations, i prefer a Danish blue but will accept an Oregon blue. And
in my opinion Roquefort is not so very much better than most other blue
cheese, but again, im not a picky eater or anything resembling a gourmet.
--
JL

Dee Dee wrote:

> Olive Garden uses a dressing for their 'all you can eat' salad and many
> people like it. There is online a 'faux' recipe of the Olive Garden
> recipe.
>
> I made it once to see if it was similar. As far as I could tell, it tasted
> the same.
> Dee Dee

People give the Olive Garden a hard time, and maybe rightfully so, but I
like their soup, salad and breadsticks. Well, I like the salad and
breadsticks, not so much the soup. I will have to find that recipe.

Becca

"Becca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
>> Olive Garden uses a dressing for their 'all you can eat' salad and many
>> people like it. There is online a 'faux' recipe of the Olive Garden
>> recipe.
>>
>> I made it once to see if it was similar. As far as I could tell, it
>> tasted the same.
>> Dee Dee

> People give the Olive Garden a hard time, and maybe rightfully so, but I
> like their soup, salad and breadsticks. Well, I like the salad and
> breadsticks, not so much the soup. I will have to find that recipe.
>
> Becca

Here it is Becca.

This is a dressing that is supposedly similar to that used at "Olive Garden"
for their table salads. It tasted that way to me. (I probably won't make it
again, because I don't like to use corn syrup.)

½ CUP white vinegar

1/3 cup water

1/3 cup vegetable oil

¼ cup corn syrup

1-1/4 TEASPOON SALT

¼ TEASPOON dried parsley flakes

Pinch dried oregano

Pinch crushed red pepper flakes

2-1/2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese (I substituted parmesan reggiano
because I didn't have romano on hand)
1 TEASPOON lemon juice

½ TEASPOON minced garlic

The following are to emulsify:

2 tablespoons dry pectin (I DIDN'T USE)

2 tablespoons beaten egg or egg substitute (I DIDN'T USE )

Mix with mixer medium speed or

Blend low speed 30 seconds.

Chill at least an 1 hour.