Deep Fried Whole Potatoes

Steve Wertz

Guest
I'm going to try deep frying some whole white, unpeeled creamers
tonight. They're each about 1.5" across.

I have no idea what gave me this idea. When I look them up on
the web I get 43 hits, mostly only catering menus or r I do see
it on several catering menus, but no mention on how to cook them
or how long they should take at that size.

Anybody ever tried it?

Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
in them?

-sw

On Aug 7, 3:19?pm, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to try deep frying some whole white, unpeeled creamers
> tonight. They're each about 1.5" across.
>
> I have no idea what gave me this idea. When I look them up on
> the web I get 43 hits, mostly only catering menus or r I do see
> it on several catering menus, but no mention on how to cook them
> or how long they should take at that size.
>
> Anybody ever tried it?
>
> Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
> in them?
>
> -sw

I'd not attempt to deep fry unpeeled spuds... pare off about a third
of the skin in random strips... try deep frying one to test.

I think you'll do better to oil, season, and roast them.... again pare
off a few strips of skin, makes for a varied exterior texture and is
decorative.

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 3:19?pm, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm going to try deep frying some whole white, unpeeled creamers
> > tonight. They're each about 1.5" across.
> >
> > I have no idea what gave me this idea. When I look them up on
> > the web I get 43 hits, mostly only catering menus or r I do see
> > it on several catering menus, but no mention on how to cook them
> > or how long they should take at that size.
> >
> > Anybody ever tried it?
> >
> > Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
> > in them?
> >
> > -sw

> I'd not attempt to deep fry unpeeled spuds... pare off about a third
> of the skin in random strips... try deep frying one to test.
>
> I think you'll do better to oil, season, and roast them.... again pare
> off a few strips of skin, makes for a varied exterior texture and is
> decorative.
>
> Sheldon

I'd be fascinated to see/hear about his results!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****" -- Jack Nicholson

Unless you deep fry twice, I don't think they will cook properly.

A canteen where I once worked did a mean deep fried new potato but I
imagine they used tinned spuds that they drained and then deep fried.

I "oven fried" some left-over new potatoes tonight, they worked out well.

Steve

** As they were large I cut them into large chips (Brit speak) and
thinly covered in olive oil and then baked in hot oven

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:48:23 +0200, Steve Y wrote:

> Unless you deep fry twice, I don't think they will cook properly.

I'm not shooting for a round french fry, just a small, slightly
crispy, baked potato-like thingy.

The only recipe I could find was Iranian (aloo makala) which says
to peel, simmer, then fry.

I want to leave the skins on for flavor/texture.

-sw

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:19:01 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm going to try deep frying some whole white, unpeeled creamers
>tonight. They're each about 1.5" across.
>
>I have no idea what gave me this idea. When I look them up on
>the web I get 43 hits, mostly only catering menus or r I do see
>it on several catering menus, but no mention on how to cook them
>or how long they should take at that size.
>
>Anybody ever tried it?
>
>Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
>in them?

Waaaay back in 1948-'50, I worked summers in a small local potato chip
factory (it has long since been absorbed by Hostess Frito-Lay).
Anyway, there was a pre-heater for the fryer shortening that must have
had a capacity of at least 90 - 100 gallons. It held the oil at the
proper temperature to be pumped into the fryers when required.
We would often drop whole, unpeeled potatoes into this pre-heater to
have with our lunch. I don't remember how long we left them in there.
I do remember they came out with the outside very crispy but
completely intact and with the inside very fluffy.
I don't think I'd try it with my little home deep fryer though.

Ross.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:48:23 +0200, Steve Y wrote:
>
>> Unless you deep fry twice, I don't think they will cook properly.

> I'm not shooting for a round french fry, just a small, slightly
> crispy, baked potato-like thingy.
>
> The only recipe I could find was Iranian (aloo makala) which says
> to peel, simmer, then fry.
>
> I want to leave the skins on for flavor/texture.
>
> -sw

I bake mini potatos skin on, on high heat, 450ish, with some brushed oil,
kosher salt and sometimes garlic powder or cyan if I want a little spice.
It might be similar to what you are looking for.

Steve Wertz wrote:

Anybody ever tried it?

> Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
> in them?

I haven't tried it, but this looks like one of those
"wear clothes" situations.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:14:14 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>

> Anybody ever tried it?
>>
>> Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
>> in them?

> I haven't tried it, but this looks like one of those
> "wear clothes" situations.

I'll use one of those wire mesh grease guards weighted down with
something shatterproof.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:14:14 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> >>

> > Anybody ever tried it?
> >>
> >> Come to think it, is it even safe? Should I poke a couple holes
> >> in them?

> > I haven't tried it, but this looks like one of those
> > "wear clothes" situations.

> I'll use one of those wire mesh grease guards weighted down with
> something shatterproof.

Ah! So you won't be wearing clothes?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:01:03 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:14:14 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>>>
>>> Anybody ever tried it?

>>> I haven't tried it, but this looks like one of those
>>> "wear clothes" situations.

>> I'll use one of those wire mesh grease guards weighted down with
>> something shatterproof.

> Ah! So you won't be wearing clothes?

I'll have condom on, at least.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> I'll use one of those wire mesh grease guards weighted down with
>>> something shatterproof.

>> Ah! So you won't be wearing clothes?

> I'll have condom on, at least.

As a good-mannerd boy-scout.