convert a bicycle

Matt

Guest
I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle. What
would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles, but, I
find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending over all
the time. I do not ride that often.

Thanks

>I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle. What
>would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles, but, I
>find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending over
>all the time. I do not ride that often.

A new set of handlbars, stem and brake levers is a good start. The only other change you may want to
try is fitting fatter slick tires on the bike.
------------
Alex

On 8 Dec 2003 08:52:34 -0800, [email protected] (Matt) may have said:

>I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle. What
>would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles, but, I
>find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending over
>all the time. I do not ride that often.

Swap the handlebars and stem to a set from a mountain bike; get shifters and brake levers to match,
but beware of the fact that mtb brake levers will have a very short throw with road brakes, and may
require considerable hand effort to stop the bike. Depending on the type of brakes you have, it may
be possible to rearrange things to get around this. If you have cantilever brakes, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html for advice under the section "too little
mechanical advantage".

You'll also want to swap up to the widest slick tires that will fit on the rims.

don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

Matt wrote:
> I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending
> over all the time. I do not ride that often.

Just rotate the existing bars around. It's not an original idea, btw.

Matt wrote:

> I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending
> over all the time. I do not ride that often.

Get a riser bar, grips and appropriate brake levers. The riser bar ofetn gives an acceptable
position without changing the stem. You'll also then need brake cables and brake service. With your
position now much higher, with more weight on the seat, you should get a wider saddle. If your
shifters are not easily reached from the new position you might consider a set of top shifters.

> On 8 Dec 2003 08:52:34 -0800, [email protected] (Matt) may have said:
>
> >I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> >What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> >but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than
> >bending over all the time. I do not ride that often.

I used to do this all the time back when I was working in a Schwinn shop. Depending on exactly
*which* Schwinn you have, you may run into compatibility issues with the stem and handlebars- the
Varsity and Continental models required a smaller stem than is normally available nowadays.

A wider, cushier seat will be helpful, too, now that you'll be putting more weight on it.

A friendly, older bike shop should be able to advise you on what you need. This isn't a particularly
tough job- you just have to have the correct parts to begin with.

Jeff

Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Matt wrote:
> > I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> > What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> > but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than
> > bending over all the time. I do not ride that often.
> >
> Just rotate the existing bars around. It's not an original idea, btw.

I've seen the aftermath of a "rotated drop bar" bike crash. The kid took a brake lever right in the
stomach, sending him to the hospital.

Rotating the bars puts the brake levers at the wrong angle for proper modulation, kinks the cables,
makes it nearly impossible to hold onto the bars comfortably, and generally looks dorky. Swapping
the bars is so much more chic.

Jeff

Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I would rather sit upright than bending over all the time. I do not ride that often.
>>
>Just rotate the existing bars around. It's not an original >idea, btw.

Ah, yes... the "DUIbrid", the sloppily thrown together inverted drop handlebar style so named
because it's ridden by banned-from-driving drunks who have no idea how a bike should really be set
up. Trust me... get some flat (or riser) handlebars with the approbriate brake levers and you'll be
MUCH better off.

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>I would rather sit upright than bending over all the time. I do not ride that often.
>>>

>>Just rotate the existing bars around. It's not an original >idea, btw.
>

> Ah, yes... the "DUIbrid", the sloppily thrown together inverted drop handlebar style so named
> because it's ridden by banned-from-driving drunks who have no idea how a bike should really be set
> up. Trust me... get some flat (or riser) handlebars with the approbriate brake levers and you'll
> be MUCH better off.

I forgot to add that you have to smoke Kools, opened from the bottom of the package, if you have
your bars like that. Putting the cigs in a rooled-up t-shirt sleeve is also appropriate.

Originally posted by Matt
I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle. What
would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles, but, I
find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending over all
the time. I do not ride that often.

Thanks

The idea is to get much of the weight off your hands, so why not just start with a stem having a longer quill length and shorter reach like this one.

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16007.html

I don't know if this particular stem will fit your bike, but a trip to the bike shop should get you something like it.

I'd suggest that you keep the bars and brakes you have and try them out with a more up-right position. New, cushioned handlebar tape will make it look and feel nice too.

Since you do not ride often, your current saddle might be OK. But, if what happened to me (got more upright, liked it, and now ride lots) happens to you, you may find that your current saddle is uncomfortable. If so, it is a process of trial and error to find a comfortable one. My fourth saddle was a Brooks and it's the one for me.

Good luck,
Steve Shapiro

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending
> over all the time. I do not ride that often.
>
> Thanks

Nobody has mentioned it ... but why not buy a new bike?

Giant makes some decent comfort / hybrid bikes that sell for about $200. Seems that after buying
handlebars, grips, brake levers, new cables, tires, seat etc. it could easily come out to the same
money ... not only that, but it would be a "proper" comfort bike, not a DUIbrid, and new to boot. If
I was you I would visit a LBS, ride a $200 - $300 comfort bike, then price out how much it would
cost to convert the Schwinn.

You could also consider a used comfort bike as well. Many of them can be found in good shape for the
same price as a decent set of handlebars or a pair of tires.

Besides, it's just such a sweet feeling when you get a new bike (c:

C.Q.C.

[email protected] (Matt) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have an older Schwinn road bicycle that I would like to convert to a comfort hybrid bicycle.
> What would it take to accomplish such a conversion? I am not that knowledgable about bicycles,
> but, I find the ride on the road bike to be uncomfortable. I would rather sit upright than bending
> over all the time. I do not ride that often.
>
> Thanks

Wald makes some inexpensive all steel parts that'll start you on the way. They make a stem that
offers about 9" rise above the minimum insertion mark. They also make some steel handlebars, both
North Road types (my preference) and 5" risers. My LBS carries all this stuff. I think
http://bikepartsusa.com/ also carries this stuff inexpensively. I believe the Wald stems will fit in
some of the old Schwinn fork steerers, which is a smaller size than is used these days.

If you use these bars, you may need some new brake levers, too. The LBS may also be able to help
here, as well as http://bikepartsusa.com/ and a wider saddle may be called for with the more upright
riding position.

All the parts I mentioned can be found fairly cheaply from http://bikepartsusa.com/.

> Ah, yes... the "DUIbrid", the sloppily thrown together inverted drop handlebar style so named
> because it's ridden by banned-from-driving drunks who have no idea how a bike should really be set
> up. Trust me... get some flat (or riser) handlebars with the approbriate brake levers and you'll
> be MUCH better off.

At my second shop, all of the local drunks would ride old cruisers with baby trailers to keep them
upright when 2AM came around...