Channel to Med ride report - shortish

vernon

Guest
Rather than a blow by blow account of the ride I've grouped aspects together

Route - adapted version of a CTC Channel to the Med route listed on their
website. The original route was from Calais to St Tropez. I followed it as
far as Orange then veered westwards to Montpellier via the Carmargue.

Scenery - totally boring from Calais through the Somme becoming more
interesting from Troyes southwards. Riding through the Somme provided me
with the opportunity to visit some war cemeteries. It came as a surprise to
me to find that there were German, French and American war cemeteries too.
They'd never figured in any of my UK based encounters with WW1 history at
school, in books or on TV. The large expanses of monoculture around the
Somme emphasised the sparse population of the area. Rhone/Saone gap into
Provence was much more interesting and the proliferation of vineyards made
for some interesting views of hillside terraces. I'd have hated to be a
grape picker on the hill sides. Enjoyed passing through some of the major
towns and cities including Amiens, Troyes, Dijon, Macon, Orange, Avignon,
Arles and Sete. Lyons was a lovely city but a nightmare to navigate across.

Buildings - surprised by many towns containing churches that appeared to be
bigger than the town could sustain. Some of the modern designs were very
striking in their simplicity. The older ones were stunning. Modern buildings
appear to be more adventurous in their designs than UK based buildings. The
Roman amphitheatre at Orange is breathtaking. Saw the pont at Avignon and
admired the walls of the city. Several aqueducts spotted.

Food - the fruit was amazing in its variety and depth of flavours. Sampled
many roadside wild plums and grapes from vineyards along with local melons,
tomatoes, peaches and plums. The patisserie products were works of art and
I managed to restrict myself to four purchases of cake throughout the tour
though I'm not prepared to divulge the magnitude of the purchases :).
Roadside lunches of baguette, cheese, tomato, pate and red wine were daily
occurrences and I'm certain that my calorie intake was less than expenditure
yet I never suffered from bonking.

Mechanical problems - the sole of a newish (worn 8 times) spd shoe detached
itself towards the end of the first full day's ride. I lost half a day
finding a bike shop that was open on a Monday. A spoke pulled through the
rim of my rear wheel and I managed to scrounge a lift to a Decathlon in
Macon to purchase a cheap replacement. Everything else worked well.

Weather - scorching first day followed by two days at 12 degrees and
rain/mist. Moderately overcast for several days before warming up to max at
27 degrees in Provence and the Carmargue. A couple of nights were cold
enough to warrant having to supplement the insulation of my summer weight
sleeping bag. Overall though, the weather was perfect for cycling.

Roadkill - rats, rabbits and hedgehogs were very common and I had to wait
until the Carmargue to see my first exotica - a freshly killed Coypu. My
excitement turned to boredom within 10km as I spotted a further five example
in various stages of flatness and decay. Saw a couple of dead snakes too.

Flora and Fauna - roadside plums were common, I couldn't identify what was
the source of the heady herby/woody scents that would fill the air as I rode
through provence. Discovered rice fields in the carmargue. Spotted praying
mantises, countless lizards and brightly coloured butterflies plus several
flocks of flamingos in the lagoons at the Carmargue coast.

Language - I managed to communicate with the French in French all of the
time. I know that I made some grammatical and tense errors but on several
occasions I was complemented on my language skills which I found pleasing.
My comprehension of the language improved with time and by the end of the
trip I was able to respond immediately in French without having to spend
time framing my phrases. The Rough Guide to France has a very useful section
dealing with bike parts which allowed me to specify a thirty six spoke
wheel to replace the one that I had with a broken rim. Subsequently
discovered that Sheldon Brown has an English/French lexicon of cycling.

Coach Travel - European Bike Express was wonderful. Jason the host is an
amazing bundle of energy and wit. The coach journeys were comfortable and
using the company removed all the hassle of having to book and use several
trains at each end of the journey plus the ferry crossings. I'll be using
the company again next year. I have every intention of exploring a smaller
area of France at a slower pace.

vernon wrote:
<snip ride report>

One question. How long did it take? Or how far was it?

Apologies if you have covered it in the text - I have only been able to
skim read it.

Andrew

> Roadkill - rats, rabbits and hedgehogs were very common and I had to
> wait until the Carmargue to see my first exotica - a freshly killed
> Coypu.

Cor, that trumps a badger any day.

--
Mark T

"Andrew May" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
> <snip ride report>
>
> One question. How long did it take? Or how far was it?
>
> Apologies if you have covered it in the text - I have only been able to
> skim read it.
>
> Andrew

I did 800 miles and did it in 14 days. I had slowed down for the last four
days doing only 30-40 miles per day and could have done it in comfort in
11/12 days. It is possible to find a shorter route but that would have
involved the massif Central but I don't do hills particularly well.

"Mark T"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
>> Roadkill - rats, rabbits and hedgehogs were very common and I had to
>> wait until the Carmargue to see my first exotica - a freshly killed
>> Coypu.

> Cor, that trumps a badger any day.

My thoughts exactly. :)

vernon wrote:
> "Andrew May" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> vernon wrote:
>> <snip ride report>
>>
>> One question. How long did it take? Or how far was it?
>>
>> Apologies if you have covered it in the text - I have only been able to
>> skim read it.
>>
>> Andrew

> I did 800 miles and did it in 14 days. I had slowed down for the last four
> days doing only 30-40 miles per day and could have done it in comfort in
> 11/12 days. It is possible to find a shorter route but that would have
> involved the massif Central but I don't do hills particularly well.

Ooooh. I like the sound of that. That's comparable to LeJog and I
managed that in two weeks. Another one to add to my list of 'cycle rides
that I want to do'

Andrew

"Andrew May" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>> "Andrew May" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> vernon wrote:
>>> <snip ride report>
>>>
>>> One question. How long did it take? Or how far was it?
>>>
>>> Apologies if you have covered it in the text - I have only been able to
>>> skim read it.
>>>
>>> Andrew

>> I did 800 miles and did it in 14 days. I had slowed down for the last
>> four days doing only 30-40 miles per day and could have done it in
>> comfort in 11/12 days. It is possible to find a shorter route but that
>> would have involved the massif Central but I don't do hills particularly
>> well.

> Ooooh. I like the sound of that. That's comparable to LeJog and I managed
> that in two weeks. Another one to add to my list of 'cycle rides that I
> want to do'

I found it much easier than LEJOG and JOGLE. The food's better too :)

"vernon" <[email protected]> writes:

> Weather - scorching first day followed by two days at 12 degrees and
> rain/mist. Moderately overcast for several days before warming up to max at
> 27 degrees in Provence and the Carmargue. A couple of nights were cold
> enough to warrant having to supplement the insulation of my summer weight
> sleeping bag. Overall though, the weather was perfect for cycling.

I did about 600km in a series of mostly short rides in various
locations (including the eastern extremes of the Massif Central)
and was rained on about 2 times out of 5. Pas de canicule cette
année!

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

"Brendan Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Weather - scorching first day followed by two days at 12 degrees and
>> rain/mist. Moderately overcast for several days before warming up to max
>> at
>> 27 degrees in Provence and the Carmargue. A couple of nights were cold
>> enough to warrant having to supplement the insulation of my summer weight
>> sleeping bag. Overall though, the weather was perfect for cycling.

> I did about 600km in a series of mostly short rides in various
> locations (including the eastern extremes of the Massif Central)
> and was rained on about 2 times out of 5. Pas de canicule cette
> année!

The absence of any sort of a canicule was a welcome relief. I'd spent a
week suffering in temperatures between 42 and 47 degrees in Rhodes on a
family holiday the week before my ride. The rest of the family loved the
heat I confined myself to barracks between 09:30 and 20:00 with a short
break for lunch.

vernon wrote:
> Rather than a blow by blow account of the ride I've grouped aspects
> together

Question on accomodation ?
Were you camping all the way, or a mixture ? And if not camping how were you
finding accomodation, just turn up and ask around, or booking ahead ?

Sounds more fun than LeJog; its the prospect of two weeks of UK
not-very-brilliant food which puts me off LeJog.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>> Rather than a blow by blow account of the ride I've grouped aspects
>> together

> Question on accomodation ?
> Were you camping all the way, or a mixture ? And if not camping how were
> you finding accomodation, just turn up and ask around, or booking ahead ?
>
> Sounds more fun than LeJog; its the prospect of two weeks of UK
> not-very-brilliant food which puts me off LeJog.

I camped all the way. Campsites were usually plentiful and it was worth
trying to unearth the municipal camp sites which were in the four to eight
Euros per night price range.. There were three nights when I stealth
camped - twice in open fileds and once in a vineyard. Two camp sites were
full but the owners found spots for me on account of me arriving by bike.

There were lots of bed and breakfast places (chambre d'hote) as well as
gites which I could have used had I wanted to spend more on accomodation.
There were also Formule 1 hotels near the cities and bigger towns.

Quoting Nigel Cliffe <[email protected]>:
>Sounds more fun than LeJog; its the prospect of two weeks of UK
>not-very-brilliant food which puts me off LeJog.

When a friend and I did it we took the Good Beer Guide which was worth its
weight in weight.
Today is First Tuesday, August.

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Nigel Cliffe <[email protected]>:
>> Sounds more fun than LeJog; its the prospect of two weeks of UK
>> not-very-brilliant food which puts me off LeJog.

> When a friend and I did it we took the Good Beer Guide which was worth its
> weight in weight.

Best thing is cycling to a pub. (Wonder if the Live & Let Live on
Bringsty common will ever re-open? Ah Halcyon days).

"Marcus Red" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Damerell wrote:
>> Quoting Nigel Cliffe <[email protected]>:
>>> Sounds more fun than LeJog; its the prospect of two weeks of UK
>>> not-very-brilliant food which puts me off LeJog.

>> When a friend and I did it we took the Good Beer Guide which was worth
>> its
>> weight in weight.

> Best thing is cycling to a pub. (Wonder if the Live & Let Live on Bringsty
> common will ever re-open? Ah Halcyon days).

Nope. The best things are cycling to brasseries or to a patisseries.

"vernon" <[email protected]> writes:

>> Best thing is cycling to a pub. (Wonder if the Live & Let Live on Bringsty
>> common will ever re-open? Ah Halcyon days).

>Nope. The best things are cycling to brasseries or to a patisseries.

Or cycling /from/ one of these. We had a very nice dinner on top of the
Grand Ballon in the Vosges, followed by a high speed zoom down the
deserted hill to a campsite.

Roos

Brendan Halpin <[email protected]> wrote:

> "vernon" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Weather - scorching first day followed by two days at 12 degrees and
> > rain/mist. Moderately overcast for several days before warming up to max at
> > 27 degrees in Provence and the Carmargue. A couple of nights were cold
> > enough to warrant having to supplement the insulation of my summer weight
> > sleeping bag. Overall though, the weather was perfect for cycling.

> I did about 600km in a series of mostly short rides in various
> locations (including the eastern extremes of the Massif Central)
> and was rained on about 2 times out of 5. Pas de canicule cette
> année!

It's not often that this French teacher sees the need to look up a
word... Interestingly, the Russian word for holidays is 'kanikuly',
which gave me a vague clue.

I do admire these people who attempt such journeys. My current excuse
for not attempting one is that I have a 4 year old daughter.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nope. The best things are cycling to brasseries or to a patisseries.

<Ahem> The best things are cycling to brasseries /and/ patisseries.

Roos Eisma wrote:

>> Nope. The best things are cycling to brasseries or to a patisseries.

> Or cycling /from/ one of these. We had a very nice dinner on top of the
> Grand Ballon in the Vosges, followed by a high speed zoom down the
> deserted hill to a campsite.

That reminds me of the hot soup I had at the top of the Tourmalet! Kept
me warm all the way to Lourdes on a cold wet day!
;-))

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i3cvpg.j310d274z6eN%[email protected]...
> vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Nope. The best things are cycling to brasseries or to a patisseries.

> <Ahem> The best things are cycling to brasseries /and/ patisseries.

Nah. The original is what I intended to type through my pastis induced
lunchtime haze.

Now where's that absinthe?........