or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Real Commuter Bikes Returning? - Page 2

post #16 of 29

Re: Real Commuter Bikes Returning?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:08:56 +1000, Terryc wrote:

> So peeps with a bit of knowledge, who want something different, just
> catch the train into CBD to the shops that at least display bicycles for
> different use (even if CCC does put pannier on back to front)

CCC = Clarence Ctreet Cyclery?

*How* do you put a pannier on back to front? Or did they put an LH one on
the right so any reflective bits are facing forward?

ISTR you were after a step through frame, and I really can't recall
anything like that on the market in half decent frames/groupsets. OTOH I
do have a folding 20" bike here with a Sturmey Archer 3sp hub that I could
probably be convinced to part with. Needs at least a new front rim if you
like braking, but it does mostly work (I'm getting to the stage I doubt
I'll ever finish the damn thing, but that may change).

--
Dave Hughes | dave@hired-goons.net
"SCSI is *not* magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is

Re: Real Commuter Bikes Returning?

In article <1160614703.863555.57900@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Bleve" <carl.I.brewer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > In article <cfsmtb.2fir8b@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com>,
> > cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2fir8b@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> > > Huzzah! Actually there's been much online discussion about utility
> > > cycling being a longterm future trend, with highend stuff either
> > > reaching saturation point or plateauing in it's public appeal.
> > > Personally, I always believed full SKS guards & heavy duty pannier
> > > racks were a fashion item.

> > The cost of high end bikes are just getting ridiculous, you can about
> > buy a motorized scooter with that kind of money, and not all that far
> > from a small car from Korea.

> The cost of high end cars is ridiculous, you can buy a *HOUSE* for what
> some cars cost.
>
> What this has to do with generic commuter bikes, good examples of which
> can be had for less than $500, I'm unable to see?

You are correct in that there are high and low ends. The issue here may
be one of marketing and consumer perception.

For cars, many commercials are focused on those economy cars, highly
affordable cars and their style. While looking at bike marketing, every
brand tries to push their high end to demonstrate their technology
leadership. I don't see any ads pushing for the style of a carbon-less,
mix and match groupset component sub-$500 bike. We just don't see too
many bike brands pushing for the affordable Chinese import bikes...
Except maybe K-Mart in their catalogue.
--
post #18 of 29

Re: Real Commuter Bikes Returning?

In article
<452d85f0$0$4668$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>

> 2) can it be made functional so i can carry the brief case, thermos,
> sandos, etc and pick up some shopping on the way home.

I thought that was the whole idea of this thread. There are now bikes
designed to do all that.
--
post #19 of 29

Re: Real Commuter Bikes Returning?

In article <Paulie-AU.2fjegz@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com>,
Paulie-AU <Paulie-AU.2fjegz@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> Artoi Wrote:
> >
> > The cost of high end bikes are just getting ridiculous, you can about
> > buy a motorized scooter with that kind of money, and not all that far
> > from a small car from Korea.
> >
> > Yes, light weight economical commuter bikes would be most welcome for
> > many people.
> > --

> But at the same time the quality at the lower end of the market has
> improved considerably in the last few years.

That I agree, as has been over the last 100 years of cycling.
--
post #20 of 29

Re: Real Commuter Bikes Returning?

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:46:03 GMT
Artoi <artoi@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article
><452d85f0$0$4668$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>
>> 2) can it be made functional so i can carry the brief case, thermos,
>> sandos, etc and pick up some shopping on the way home.

> I thought that was the whole idea of this thread. There are now bikes
> designed to do all that.

Yup, I ride one of them.

But it's not at the cheap end of the spectrum!

Zebee
post #21 of 29

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> MWP wrote:
>> Those metal carry baskets in supermarkets make an ideal pannier
>> basket. They're wide enough to carry a small dog.

> Your supermarket sells small dogs?
> What do they taste like and do you roast or fry them?
>
> Theo

Definitely stir-fry.

From what I've heard, there used to be a Vietnamese restaurant in Perth
(Hang Long?) which got into trouble for that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Vince
post #22 of 29

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> MWP wrote:
>
>>Those metal carry baskets in supermarkets make an ideal pannier
>>basket. They're wide enough to carry a small dog.

> Your supermarket sells small dogs?
> What do they taste like and do you roast or fry them?
>
> Theo

Theo try them deep fried with sweet and sour sauce. MMmmmmmm

Friday
post #23 of 29

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>...We have a utility trike in the shop at the moment that has been testridden *once*...

> <snip>
>
> Oooh, there's one of those in my LBS. I want it. And the
> itty bitty kiddy track bike too!
>
> Tam

Those trikes are terrible, the positioning is all wrong and you can't
lean on the turns. We had a heap at work. Also you can't ride between
things because they're too wide.

Friday
post #24 of 29

Gumby wrote:

>> Definitely stir-fry.
>>
>> From what I've heard, there used to be a Vietnamese restaurant in Perth
>> (Hang Long?) which got into trouble for that sort of thing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vince
>>

> That is absolute bull**** vincent

Chuckle. Maybe... maybe not ...

Cheers,

Vince
post #25 of 29

Terryc wrote:

> cousin was eating KFC one nght and swore "that's a rabbit bone"
> sure didn't look like a chicken bone to me.
> could have been cat. isn't it supposed to taste like chicken?

Chicken bones are hollow, rabbit bones are not.
Always ask for a wing.

Theo
post #26 of 29

dave wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Your supermarket sells small dogs?
>> What do they taste like and do you roast or fry them?

> Well they don;t taste just like chicken. In that and in no other way
> the taste strongly resembles snake

I've eaten snake and it tastes like a cross between chicken and fish.

Theo
post #27 of 29

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Terryc wrote:
>

>>cousin was eating KFC one nght and swore "that's a rabbit bone"
>>sure didn't look like a chicken bone to me.
>>could have been cat. isn't it supposed to taste like chicken?

> Chicken bones are hollow, rabbit bones are not.
> Always ask for a wing.
>
> Theo

You know it's suspicious when it has four drumsticks.

Friday
post #28 of 29

Bleve wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:
>>
>>>Bleve wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>Oooh, there's one of those in my LBS. I want it. And the
>>>itty bitty kiddy track bike too!
>>>
>>>Tam

>>Those trikes are terrible, the positioning is all wrong and you can't
>>lean on the turns. We had a heap at work. Also you can't ride between
>>things because they're too wide.

> I challenge you to design one that isn't, but that is affordable and
> simple.

Why?

Friday
post #29 of 29

Resound wrote:
> "Terryc" <newsonespam-spam@woa.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Bleve wrote:
>>

>>>I cite the example of my mum, who never learnt to ride a bike, can't
>>>balance, and has various age-based injuries that make a 'bent not a
>>>viable proposition, but she *can* tootle around on one of those
>>>'terrible' trikes. She can ride down to the local library etc, which
>>>is what she wants to be able to do. It's flat, she'll only ride around
>>>10-15km/k etc.

>>Yep, peeps without balance don't notice and they are great for them, but
>>that is a restricted market (circular argument)
>>
>>My 2c is a front wheel trike usually overcomes the camber/lean into
>>corners requirement because it is easier to incorporate a horizontal
>>bearing without affecting the drive train.
>>

> And I'm not sure why but somehow my mind tells me that having the two wheels
> on the front is less likely to lift the inside wheel and fall over. I really
> don't know why that is though.

I reckon if you look at the vector forces and the wheel positions you'll
prove yourself right.

Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Australia and New Zealand