Toe-up running problems: achillies, big toes.

Manga27

Guest
Hello all -

I'm new here, and fairly new to running. I've moved pretty quickly to
an 8-minute mile, doing about 3 or 4 miles a day. However I've
noticed that I have a problem that seems to be causing slight injuries
to my achillies (sp?) on one foot, and big toe on both feet. Also, my
center toe on the right is getting calloused and black.

I believe the problem stems from a tendency to run with my toes "up"
in the air, as if I was pulling them back in a stretch. It takes a
concentrated effort to keep them down and flat in my shoes. I noticed
this problem because I started to make "dents" in the tops of my
running shoes, from my big toe, and also when my center toe started
becoming calloused on the top-front of the toe, from rubbing against
the top of the shoe / sock.

I guess my question, is whether my body will adjust to this as I
become more experienced... or does anyone have any tips / suggestions
for me to keep my toe down? Is there a device I can put on the top of
my toes to force them to stay down, or a special arch for my shoe?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Take care,

.... Christopher

Manga27 wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I'm new here, and fairly new to running. I've moved pretty quickly to
> an 8-minute mile, doing about 3 or 4 miles a day. However I've
> noticed that I have a problem that seems to be causing slight injuries
> to my achillies (sp?) on one foot, and big toe on both feet. Also, my
> center toe on the right is getting calloused and black.
>
> I believe the problem stems from a tendency to run with my toes "up"
> in the air, as if I was pulling them back in a stretch. It takes a
> concentrated effort to keep them down and flat in my shoes. I noticed
> this problem because I started to make "dents" in the tops of my
> running shoes, from my big toe, and also when my center toe started
> becoming calloused on the top-front of the toe, from rubbing against
> the top of the shoe / sock.
>
> I guess my question, is whether my body will adjust to this as I
> become more experienced... or does anyone have any tips / suggestions
> for me to keep my toe down? Is there a device I can put on the top of
> my toes to force them to stay down, or a special arch for my shoe?
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts.
>
> Take care,
>
> ... Christopher

I cut the shoe in the toe area with a knife. It's easier than changing
form. The situation probably won't get better, but some shoes might be
more forgiving than others.