or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › Australia and New Zealand › What is it with Giant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is it with Giant? - Page 2

post #16 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:55:06 +1000
Snuffy <Snuffy.2g97i0@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>
> I reckon Giant owners are akin to Apple Mac/Ipod owners...


heh. Same in the bent world. Recent kerfuffle over Rans vs Bacchetta
and didn't some people get worked up!

Different container of marine life in that Rans and Bacchetta are
definitely different bikes, but the squealing sounded very similar.

Zebee
post #17 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Bleve wrote:

> As such, any LBS that sells Giant, will get burnt regularly by the
> wholesaler or the bigger LBS's with containers of the things to dump at
> end of season (remember the elcheapo prices on the Giant roadies from
> TFM etc in June/July? Watch this space, it'll happen again next year,
> the smaller LBS's with stock will have to match the prices or get no
> sales - ouch).


At the consumer end it's all good though. Probably because of this I
got my Giant for $600 off cos the LBS was having trouble moving them.

I'm happy :-)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
post #18 of 50
Thread Starter 

Re: What is it with Giant?

On 2006-10-25, Bleve <carl.I.brewer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would that pain me? Good luck to them. I don't hate Giant, I just
> like my bikes more, and it's fun to stir every now and then and see who
> arcs up. _so_ defensive, some people.


The *real* fun comes when somebody gives back as good as they get. :-)

--
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@" to "usenet".
post #19 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Bleve wrote:

> Flawed logic (not that this means Giant don't make good bikes though
> ... just that your logic is broken). Eg: Huffy sell more bikes than
> any other brand in the western world, but they do not make any "good"
> bikes. All the Huffy's are ****ters.


I take your point, but apples for apples. You're comparing a company
that makes $150 dual-suspension bikes with a company that sponsors a
UCI ProTour team. I'm not saying Giant make the the best bikes around
on the basis of number of bikes they sell. I'm saying that I don't
believe they could be making a truly *bad* bike and still be selling
that many.
post #20 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
<snip>
I reckon Giant owners are akin to Apple Mac/Ipod owners...
<snip>
Hey! whats wrong with apple mac/ipods? i own several apple macintosh products and i have never found that i get speed wobbles over 50kms, and i believe the handling of the clickwheel is smoother than any comparable player out there.

I know i could have gone the lighter, more expensive titanium models, but i prefer to just lose those extra kilos off me... i mean its not like im racing to see who gets their assignments done first or anything...
plus the heavier model fit better (had ample storage space and better componentry compared to the smaller, lighter more expensive ones) and was basically just perfect for me.

*heheheh*
post #21 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterope
{Insert lots of Apple pimpage here}
You forgot the bit about threatening to eat my babies....
post #22 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleve
It's legs and lungs that win a bike race, and Llama will thash me up a
hill in November, won't you, damn mountaingoat ...
Maybe... I wont get anywhere near JonoL's blistering time up there though!
post #23 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
You forgot the bit about threatening to eat my babies....
sorry snuff... this pedal-powered mac-pimp is vego, so babies are not included as part of a balanced diet.

I will, however, threaten to eat any fruits and vegetables and herbs, especially bananas, that you may have lying around. After all, bananas are a cyclists best friend, regardless of their make of bike, computing platform or evil fume box.
post #24 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
The theory goes that you invest some time researching and
making up your mind when you buy something like a bike, so if someone
puts any crap on that brand, it questions your decision process.
I agree....

But how many people ACTUALLY spent time researching before purchasing their latest Giant/Trek-won-the-TdF-7-times/Ipod/Mac/Nokia/Strat/Falcadore???
post #25 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Damian wrote:

> If Bleve owned a 4 Giants instead of 4 Treks, we'd probably be having
> this same thread with different names


....and I'd be a monkey's ar$ehole! :-)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
post #26 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiledHigher
Bleve wrote:
> Damian wrote:
> >
> > If Bleve owned a 4 Giants instead of 4 Treks, we'd probably be having
> > this same thread with different names

>
> No way! I'd be sure to see reason


Bleve, you've earned yourself a spray!
http://www.spinopsys.com/archives/682
OMFG LAWL!!!!!1111onemadblogger
post #27 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Bleve wrote:
> What's the point of having the same
> range as the shop down the road? Then customers troll back & forth
> with lower & lower prices. Good for the customer, in the short term,
> but bad for the smaller LBS's that need the margins


Okay, I am convinced. Bike shops don't like Giant because the
price is too competitive. It might be short term thinking, but I am
not interested in paying more for another brand just because the
shop's margin is better.

I don't know much about bikes, but I was talking to the guy who
has just taken over the shop in Dianella (WA), and he was
pushing Giant. He says it is hard to match for the price.

So... what model? I am commuting about 15km each way, not in a
raging hurry. I want reasonably wide tyres but no heavy tread. I am
mostly riding on a good cycle path and can't see any point in
suspension. And cheap. Cheap is very important to me. The shop
has a $300 jobby. Is that going to be crap?
post #28 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Bleve wrote:

> PiledHigher wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > > Damian wrote:
> > > >
> > > > If Bleve owned a 4 Giants instead of 4 Treks, we'd probably be having
> > > > this same thread with different names
> > >
> > > No way! I'd be sure to see reason

> >
> > Bleve, you've earned yourself a spray!
> > http://www.spinopsys.com/archives/682

>
> some of those people need to get some perspective.


haha...holy cr/\p, that was a quite a tirade...

As for the misattributed Toyota comparison, I hope I don't cope any
flak for that. Besides being misattributed, it also seems to have been
misinterpreted. I'm not saying that the high-end Giant bikes are POS,
in the same way that I'm not saying Toyota cars (or Lexus, for that
matter) are POS. For those cyclists who don't want to have the same
bike as every other person on the road, they won't be buying a Giant or
a Camry. My point was not about quality.
post #29 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Harng Goh <harnggoh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Bleve, you've earned yourself a spray!
>> > http://www.spinopsys.com/archives/682

>>
>> some of those people need to get some perspective.

>
> haha...holy cr/\p, that was a quite a tirade...


Yeah....Methinks he doth protest too much. It was so over the top, you
have to wonder why he got so upset....arguing one brand over another
happens in every industry all the time - especially the bike industry.
You go in and ask about a brand they don't carry, and some will quickly
tell you why the brand you want isn't as good as the one they carry. You
learn to take these opinions with a grain of salt.

So why he's making such a fuss...?

--
..dt
post #30 of 50

Re: What is it with Giant?

Harng Goh wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
>> PiledHigher wrote:
>>> Bleve wrote:
>>>> Damian wrote:
>>>>> If Bleve owned a 4 Giants instead of 4 Treks, we'd probably be having
>>>>> this same thread with different names
>>>> No way! I'd be sure to see reason
>>> Bleve, you've earned yourself a spray!
>>> http://www.spinopsys.com/archives/682

>> some of those people need to get some perspective.

>
> haha...holy cr/\p, that was a quite a tirade...
>
> As for the misattributed Toyota comparison, I hope I don't cope any
> flak for that. Besides being misattributed, it also seems to have been
> misinterpreted. I'm not saying that the high-end Giant bikes are POS,
> in the same way that I'm not saying Toyota cars (or Lexus, for that
> matter) are POS. For those cyclists who don't want to have the same
> bike as every other person on the road, they won't be buying a Giant or
> a Camry. My point was not about quality.
>


While the tirade is apparently in response to a perceived injustice to
the bicycle industry, it's interesting to note that the author works for
a LBS that sells... tada... Giant!

.... and he calls you a "...know nothing jackass..." Bleve!? From what I
can tell you know plenty! :-)

I have to respond to the following quote however:

"“Bleve”, should be helping to build and grow the image of bicycle
retail..."

Clearly Phillip (Hi... you're probably now watching this thread in
earnest) you haven't been around aus.bicycle for long.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Australia and New Zealand
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › Australia and New Zealand › What is it with Giant?