Do Dishwashers Heat Water?

Steve Wertz

Guest
Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
only used for drying?

IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
washer?

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote

> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
> only used for drying?

To quote from my manual:

Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

nancy

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
> only used for drying?
>
> IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
> washer?
>
> -sw

polled?

Ours will heat the water up to temperature if the hot water is not hot
enough as it comes in.

Some people recommend that this is the more economical way to wash dishes,
rather than keeping your hot water heater at a higher temperature 24/7.
Dee Dee

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>> only used for drying?

> To quote from my manual:
>
> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
> the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

Actually, my manual spells out the words, I shortened
temperature to tem. Lazy finger.

nancy

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:27:51 -0400, Dee Dee wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
>> washer?

> polled?

pooled.

-sw

Nancy Young wrote:

> To quote from my manual:
>
> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
> the wash portions of the cycle to 145.
>
> nancy

Mine will also.

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:24:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>> only used for drying?

> To quote from my manual:
>
> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
> the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

I just opened up my dishwasher while it was washing and noticed
the element sits above the pool of water, so it would seem to be
an inefficient way to heat water.

I was tempted to touch the element to see if it was hot, but I
hadn't had enough beer yet today.

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:24:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>>> only used for drying?

>> To quote from my manual:
>>
>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
>> the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

> I just opened up my dishwasher while it was washing and noticed
> the element sits above the pool of water, so it would seem to be
> an inefficient way to heat water.
>
> I was tempted to touch the element to see if it was hot, but I
> hadn't had enough beer yet today.
>
> -sw

Maybe your water level/pressure needs adjusting?
Dee Dee

Dee Dee wrote:

>> I just opened up my dishwasher while it was washing and noticed
>> the element sits above the pool of water, so it would seem to be
>> an inefficient way to heat water.
>>
>> I was tempted to touch the element to see if it was hot, but I
>> hadn't had enough beer yet today.
>>
>> -sw

> Maybe your water level/pressure needs adjusting?
> Dee Dee

Or maybe the heating of water is done elsewhere other than the drying
element? Or perhaps his doesn't heat the water at all? Older models
didn't.....

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
> only used for drying?
>
> IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
> washer?
>
> -sw

Yes.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]ost
says...
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:24:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
> >> only used for drying?

> > To quote from my manual:
> >
> > Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
> > the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

> I just opened up my dishwasher while it was washing and noticed
> the element sits above the pool of water, so it would seem to be
> an inefficient way to heat water.
>
> I was tempted to touch the element to see if it was hot, but I
> hadn't had enough beer yet today.
>
> -sw

I would guess that most of the water in the pool is airborne at any
given instant while the dishwasher is running, some of it hitting the
heating element after leaving the spray arm and/or on the way back from
elsewhere in the cabinet. This could be enough to heat cooler water and
maintain already hot water during the wash cycles.

Perhaps once you've had enough beer you could disable the door
interlocks and observe this action first hand, with the door open. If
you do choose to touch the element at that point, you'll probably want
to wet your finger beforehand, if it isn't already sufficiently wet.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom only
>> used for drying?

> To quote from my manual:
>
> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during the wash portions
> of the cycle to 145.

That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the tap
is 130F.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:24:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> To quote from my manual:
>>>
>>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during
>>> the wash portions of the cycle to 145.

>> I just opened up my dishwasher while it was washing and noticed
>> the element sits above the pool of water, so it would seem to be
>> an inefficient way to heat water.
>>
>> I was tempted to touch the element to see if it was hot, but I
>> hadn't had enough beer yet today.

> Maybe your water level/pressure needs adjusting?

No, it's clear that his *beer* level needs adjusting.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:

"Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water temp during the wash portions
>> of the cycle to 145.

> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the tap
> is 130F.

The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so
you could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

nancy

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:10:09 -0400, yetanotherBob wrote:

> Perhaps once you've had enough beer you could disable the door
> interlocks and observe this action first hand, with the door open.

I could put my little brother in there and tell him to get a
first-hand report.

> If you do choose to touch the element at that point, you'll probably want
> to wet your finger beforehand, if it isn't already sufficiently wet.

I didn't think about it until after the wash cycle was through,
but I could have just touched my Polder/Taylor remote probe to it
for a few seconds.

It is pretty steamy when you open the door, so that would tend to
suggest the element is on and water hitting it is producing
steam. Most washers work at 150F or below, and that alone
wouldn't generate much steam.

-sw

On 6 Sep 2007 22:10:53 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during the wash portions
>> of the cycle to 145.

> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the tap
> is 130F.

As somebody mentioned, that water is swishing around in there
being recycled for the length of each cycle. I suspect it would
cool down pretty fast, so something needs to maintain the heat of
the water.

sw

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water temp during the wash
>>> portions of the cycle to 145.

>> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the
>> tap is 130F.

> The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so you
> could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason. The
hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely adequate
to go around, and varies considerably as other people use it. So when
you're in the shower, it can get cold - depending on total demand at the
moment. If what hot water we *do* have is quite hot, it doesn't take
much increase to make the blend comfortable. But if it's *not* quite
hot, then it takes *more* hot water to get the blend up to speed, and
that *adds more to the drain on the supply because*. At one bottom end
of the extreme, and we've been there with managment that has turned
*down* the water temp, even with the hot tap full open there's not
enough to take a shower because the volume of the hot flow is so low
that by the time you add in enough cold flow to make the showerhead do
anything but dribble a pee-stream <g>, the blend is too cold to use.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:

"Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the
>>> tap is 130F.

>> The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so you
>> could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

> Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason. The
> hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely adequate
> to go around, and varies considerably as other people use it. So when
> you're in the shower, it can get cold - depending on total demand at the
> moment. If what hot water we *do* have is quite hot, it doesn't take
> much increase to make the blend comfortable. But if it's *not* quite
> hot, then it takes *more* hot water to get the blend up to speed, and
> that *adds more to the drain on the supply because*. At one bottom end
> of the extreme, and we've been there with managment that has turned
> *down* the water temp, even with the hot tap full open there's not
> enough to take a shower because the volume of the hot flow is so low
> that by the time you add in enough cold flow to make the showerhead do
> anything but dribble a pee-stream <g>, the blend is too cold to use.

So, what I think you're saying is you flat out lied about your water
being 130?

Heh. nancy

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:08:15 GMT, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>only used for drying?
>
>IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
>washer?

At least in Switzerland and in France, they do - they're almost always
connected to the cold water supply.

Nathalie in Switzerland