A year of cycling

Roger Burton West

Guest
On 9 September 2006 I bought my first bicycle.

Since then I have:

- bought two more bicycles;
- received two more via Freecycle;
- had one stolen;
- handed one in for scrap;
- bought two trailers;
- built a bicycle-hutch (with help);
- mended at least seven p*nct*res, but I haven't really been keeping
count;
- ridden at least 1,700 miles (I didn't buy a bike computer until
December, but I was doing short runs at first to learn to ride
properly);
- ridden 54 miles in a day;
- ridden at 28.7mph (down a steep hill);
- ridden on tarmac, earth, gravel, mud and packed snow;
- fallen off three times;
- enjoyed pretty much every minute of it!

Roger

--
It never gets easier, you just go faster.
-- Greg LeMond

"Roger Burton West" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 9 September 2006 I bought my first bicycle.
>
> Since then I have:
>
> - bought two more bicycles;
> - received two more via Freecycle;
> - had one stolen;
> - handed one in for scrap;
> - bought two trailers;
> - built a bicycle-hutch (with help);
> - mended at least seven p*nct*res, but I haven't really been keeping
> count;
> - ridden at least 1,700 miles (I didn't buy a bike computer until
> December, but I was doing short runs at first to learn to ride
> properly);
> - ridden 54 miles in a day;
> - ridden at 28.7mph (down a steep hill);
> - ridden on tarmac, earth, gravel, mud and packed snow;
> - fallen off three times;
> - enjoyed pretty much every minute of it!
>
> Roger

Fantastic - well done you!!

/g

Roger Burton West wrote:
> On 9 September 2006 I bought my first bicycle.
>
> Since then I have:
>
> - bought two more bicycles;
> - received two more via Freecycle;
> - had one stolen;
> - handed one in for scrap;
> - bought two trailers;
> - built a bicycle-hutch (with help);
> - mended at least seven p*nct*res, but I haven't really been keeping
> count;
> - ridden at least 1,700 miles (I didn't buy a bike computer until
> December, but I was doing short runs at first to learn to ride
> properly);
> - ridden 54 miles in a day;
> - ridden at 28.7mph (down a steep hill);
> - ridden on tarmac, earth, gravel, mud and packed snow;
> - fallen off three times;
> - enjoyed pretty much every minute of it!

You poor soul, you've got 'The Sickness'. Pretty soon that
bicycle-hutch will need upgrading to a garage, after that the Dark Side
will call you, and following that you will realise you have more wheels
than a two car family. You will justify it to the wife on grounds of
economy, fitness, ecology, anything you can think of, you will cycle in
all weather and look down on your cager friends.

It's the beginning of the end I tell you....

Btw, the best way I found was to calculate the cost per mile of a car,
check the CC and therefore work out at which point the bike is 'free'.
This enables you to get another one for free and so on. I have 9 wheels
now. All for free of course....

Tosspot wrote:
> Roger Burton West wrote:
>
>> On 9 September 2006 I bought my first bicycle.
>>
>> Since then I have:
>>
>> - bought two more bicycles;
>> - received two more via Freecycle;
>> - had one stolen;
>> - handed one in for scrap;
>> - bought two trailers;
>> - built a bicycle-hutch (with help);
>> - mended at least seven p*nct*res, but I haven't really been keeping
>> count;
>> - ridden at least 1,700 miles (I didn't buy a bike computer until
>> December, but I was doing short runs at first to learn to ride
>> properly);
>> - ridden 54 miles in a day;
>> - ridden at 28.7mph (down a steep hill);
>> - ridden on tarmac, earth, gravel, mud and packed snow;
>> - fallen off three times;
>> - enjoyed pretty much every minute of it!

> You poor soul, you've got 'The Sickness'. Pretty soon that
> bicycle-hutch will need upgrading to a garage, after that the Dark Side
> will call you, and following that you will realise you have more wheels
> than a two car family. You will justify it to the wife on grounds of
> economy, fitness, ecology, anything you can think of, you will cycle in
> all weather and look down on your cager friends.
>
> It's the beginning of the end I tell you....
>
> Btw, the best way I found was to calculate the cost per mile of a car,
> check the CC and therefore work out at which point the bike is 'free'.
> This enables you to get another one for free and so on. I have 9 wheels
> now. All for free of course....

I'm sorry about that, I meant 11 wheels. All free though.

Tosspot wrote:

>You poor soul, you've got 'The Sickness'.

Quarantine! Pretty nurses! Stat!

>Pretty soon that
>bicycle-hutch will need upgrading to a garage, after that the Dark Side
>will call you,

It is already. I just want to try one out before I fall.

>and following that you will realise you have more wheels
>than a two car family.

3 bicycles x 2 wheels per + 2 trailers x 2 wheels per = ???

(Did I forget to mention the trailers?)

>You will justify it to the wife on grounds of
>economy, fitness, ecology, anything you can think of, you will cycle in
>all weather and look down on your cager friends.

Once I can work out how to cycle fifty miles each way for an evening out
once a week...

>Btw, the best way I found was to calculate the cost per mile of a car,
>check the CC and therefore work out at which point the bike is 'free'.
>This enables you to get another one for free and so on. I have 9 wheels
>now. All for free of course....

At 10p per mile marginal cost I've got a way to go yet.

Ever bike? Now that's something that makes life worth living!
-- Jack London