British Cycling in Schools Update

vernon

Guest
Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
schools and about their helmet policy.

I've been offered four full days of coaching catering for for forty pupils.
Each pupil getting four half days of cycling. In addition I've been offered
training to qualify as a coach/leader for Go Ride and things are looking
very positive.

When the rep heaard about tentative plans to incorporate a mountain bike
circuit I, I was also offered access to the development officer who would
work with the contractors to provide appropriate facilities.

Things are looking good.....

On Sep 12, 8:48 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
> recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
> targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
> open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
> schools and about their helmet policy.

Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

> I've been offered four full days of coaching catering for for forty pupils.
> Each pupil getting four half days of cycling. In addition I've been offered
> training to qualify as a coach/leader for Go Ride and things are looking
> very positive.

The exercises are well thought out. I'm hoping to get on the next Go-
Ride course up here.

> When the rep heaard about tentative plans to incorporate a mountain bike
> circuit I, I was also offered access to the development officer who would
> work with the contractors to provide appropriate facilities.
>
> Things are looking good.....

Indeed. It can only be beneficial in the long run. Glad to hear of
such a positive outcome.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> On Sep 12, 8:48 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
>> recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
>> targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
>> open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
>> schools and about their helmet policy.

> Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
> to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
> the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
> One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
> picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
> as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

Especially if your parents pay for the 450 quid bike!!

BugBear

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:24:42 +0100, bugbear
<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>David Martin wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 8:48 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
>>> recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
>>> targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
>>> open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
>>> schools and about their helmet policy.

>> Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
>> to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
>> the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
>> One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
>> picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
>> as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

>Especially if your parents pay for the 450 quid bike!!

www.islabikes.co.uk/images/gallery/main_images/gallery_temp_37.jpg
Under 12s (boys and girls) Welsh cyclo-cross champion on a Luath 700,
costing less than 400 quid.