Winter Gritters

Reenie

Guest
This question may well have been discussed at great length. But perhaps someone can offer some
advice. What do you folks do after a snow-fall when the gritters have been out - and left what is a
messy, slushy and gritty road? Would you recommend any particular type of tire, etc, for the bike?

Reenie

"Reenie" wrote ...
> This question may well have been discussed at great length. But perhaps someone can offer some
> advice. What do you folks do after a snow-fall when the gritters have been out - and left what
> is a messy, slushy and gritty road? Would you recommend any particular type of tire, etc, for
> the bike?
>
> Reenie

I've been using Nokian Hakkapeliita studded tires for the last few winters, they are an excellent
winter commuter tire. The tread itself works well in packed snow, and the studs keep you upright on
the bits of ice that you encounter here and there. As for the "etc." part, I hope you're using a
good pair of full coverage fenders when you ride in that stuff. SKS are really good.
--
mark

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Reenie" wrote ...
> > This question may well have been discussed at great length.
But
> > perhaps someone can offer some advice. What do you folks do
after a
> > snow-fall when the gritters have been out - and left what is a
messy,
> > slushy and gritty road? Would you recommend any particular
type of
> > tire, etc, for the bike?
> I've been using Nokian Hakkapeliita studded tires for the last
few winters,
> they are an excellent winter commuter tire. The tread itself
works well in
> packed snow, and the studs keep you upright on the bits of ice
that you
> encounter here and there. As for the "etc." part, I hope you're
using a good
> pair of full coverage fenders when you ride in that stuff. SKS
are really
> good.

Haks are good. So are Mount & Ground for 26 inch. Extremes are fun but unnecessary.

For fenders, I don't have any trouble with Mt Zefal but whatever fender I'd recommend mudflaps for a
much cleaner... ok less filthy, drivetrain and shoes. You might also want to try gaiters and water
resistant pants or booties and rain tights.

Try to watch for the strips of slush and ride close enough that passing vehicles can't blast it into
your face. A mirror helps in trying to judge whether a driver likes to pass wide or close, then I
adjust my position so they won't be on the line of slush when they pass or at least it won't hit me
above the waist.

Doug For email, a sense of wonder.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Reenie) writes:
> This question may well have been discussed at great length. But perhaps someone can offer some
> advice. What do you folks do after a snow-fall when the gritters have been out - and left what is
> a messy, slushy and gritty road?

After riding in wet conditions, especially if some of the ride is over unpaved surfaces with lots of
tree leaves & needles lying on the ground, I'll find a crud build-up particularly around the
(cantilever) brake pads, under the fenders, and around the bottom bracket. Wet tree detritus makes a
wonderful delivery system for grit. When brought indoors, this stuff will dry out and fall on the
floor, leaving an embarrassing mess. So I just wipe it off, paying special attention to those areas
I mentioned. I also try to keep my rims as clean as possible -- at least, the braking surfaces.

Speaking of brakes & rims, it might pay to periodically inspect your brake pads if you're frequently
riding over wet, sticky sand. The easiest way is to take the wheels off while leaving the brake pads
where they're set. Then pick any gritty particles out of the pads with a darning needle or
something.

cheers, Tom