Preventing rust at gouged top tube

Stan

Guest
While on tour recently, the top tube of my Reynolds 531 steel tubed,
1971-built Raleigh "Super Course" was gouged when the bicycle fell over
while leaning against a tree. The original bronze green paint and whatever
coating was under the paint were removed during the fall and now bare
metal shows in the small gouged area.

What's a good treatment to prevent rust there? Since this happened this
past July and since I just returned from my long tour, I've only had a
piece of duct tape - applied in July - over the gouged spot. Do I have to
sand the area, use some primer and then try to find some paint to match
the original bronze green color? What are the steps and materials to get
and use?

Thanks

[To contact me, drop one 'i'.]

Stan wrote:
> While on tour recently, the top tube of my Reynolds 531 steel tubed,
> 1971-built Raleigh "Super Course" was gouged when the bicycle fell over
> while leaning against a tree. The original bronze green paint and whatever
> coating was under the paint were removed during the fall and now bare
> metal shows in the small gouged area.
>
> What's a good treatment to prevent rust there? Since this happened this
> past July and since I just returned from my long tour, I've only had a
> piece of duct tape - applied in July - over the gouged spot. Do I have to
> sand the area, use some primer and then try to find some paint to match
> the original bronze green color? What are the steps and materials to get
> and use?

you summed it up well:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/paint_repair.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

tell us, what kind of tree was it?

gotta steel bike? get a can of linseed from Wal or HD or whatever.
smear linseed on scratches and flake outs and the dropouts fersure
axle nuts axle threads upfacing allen screws. I paint over it but
that's kinda unusual for tech. excellent temp rustproofing.