Why No Strong Riders Union?

Frank Drackman

Guest
Besides the usual reasons, like individuals thinking about their own
short-term best interest, is there anything about the history of bike racing
that precluded the riders from forming a strong union?

I think about Operation Puerto and how we initially heard that the were 70
or so athletes named in the documents and that many of them were football
(soccer) players. I don't believe that a single name of the other sport's
athletes have ever been suspended, or even have their names released.

I also think about the suspended until cleared regulation, that doping
riders have to pay a fine equal to one years salary, and that the riders
have to sign a non-doping pledge if they want to ride in the TDF and
conclude that none of this stuff would happen with a strong union.

What is the history?

"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Besides the usual reasons, like individuals thinking about their own
> short-term best interest, is there anything about the history of bike
> racing that precluded the riders from forming a strong union?

Riders are generally young and in competition with each other. A union seems
a little sissy to those kinds of guys at that time of their lives. And of
course all of the instutions are designed to prevent them from using their
combined strength in negotiations including the UCI.