A wheely good morning

Brian G

Guest
I cycled 42 miles this morning. Nothing special about that, except it
was the first time I've done it on a bike with two wheels built by
myself. A small enough achievement, maybe and at my age a belated one,
but... I was dead chuffed :)

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I cycled 42 miles this morning. Nothing special about that, except it was
>the first time I've done it on a bike with two wheels built by myself. A
>small enough achievement, maybe and at my age a belated one, but... I was
>dead chuffed :)
>
> --
> Brian G
> www.wetwo.co.uk

And right to be so! I couldn't build my own!

I have to buy my bikes and each one I have bought in the last 4 years has been
an "upgrade" and each time I am faced with something new to learn about basic
maintenance. My Thorn Raven tour has now done over 3000 miles since new at the
end of last year. During my 2007 "Tour de Saone et Rhone" I was aware that I
need to tighten the chain -- but I kept putting it off -- the handbook said
it wouldn't do any harm but might come off a few times -- it never did but in
the last 3 weeks it had come off 3 times!

So I did it -- just like the handbook said and it was easy and took me less
then five minutes -- but I was at home where if things go wrong I can ask for
help/advice and not sitting "somewhere in France"

So I say bl**dy well done!

I am still looking at a recumbent trike for this winters addition to my
stable. I like the Scorpion Fx but by gosh they are expensive! I won't buy an
ICE trike of any shape or form since falling out with them this time last
year after waiting for 3 months for delivery of a QNT ( in a box in pieces,
never having been assembled). But I am concerned that it is yet another sharp
learning curve to tackle for maintenance and repair and I do confess to being
overly cautious these days with things I haven't used before!

At 70 I feel that a trike will keep me safely mobile for another 10+ years. I
only have a car to help my 100 year old Dad to get out and about and when the
inevitable happens I shall sell my little Suzuki and depend solely on my own
pushing power to get me out and about ( oh yes, and my bus pass which I have
only ever used once!)

As usual I have veered wildly away from the OP topic -- well not really -- I
wish I had the expertise to build my own bike! ( by the way I did when I was
about 11 with help from my big 18 year old brother!)

--

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,