Orange Cauliflower

koko

Guest
Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg

From the web site
"The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
than white cauliflower."
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html

It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/13

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:06:40 -0700, koko wrote:

>It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.

Darn! I was hoping it had cheese sauce built in to it. :)

--
Zilbandy

<koko> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
> http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
>
> From the web site
> "The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
> cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
> orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
> beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
> than white cauliflower."
> http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html
>
> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.
>
> koko

My favorite farmer didn't want to grow cauliflower down here because
something in the soil made it yellowish. I told him to call it Aztec Gold
Special Cauliflower and charge double. They never did it, and now looky
there. I think it'd be a hoot pickled. Green colors wash out, but the reds &
oranges & yellows stay pretty nice.
Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:26:52 -0700, Zilbandy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:06:40 -0700, koko wrote:
>
>>It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.

>Darn! I was hoping it had cheese sauce built in to it. :)

There ya go, that's a million dollar idea. Get busy.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/13

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

<koko> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
> http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
>
> From the web site
> "The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
> cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
> orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
> beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
> than white cauliflower."
> http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html
>
> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.
>
> koko

Commonly sold as "Chedder Cauliflower" here in Nova Scotia.

Peter wrote on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:07:53 GMT:

P> <koko> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
??>>
??>> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin
??>> content. http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
??>>
??>> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.
??>>
??>> koko

Colored cauliflower looks pretty. There is both orange and
purple and they make for interesting-looking dishes and dips
when both are mixed with regular. However, to me it's like
colored spaghetti: it looks much prettier before cooking and has
no taste advantages (or any detectible difference!) There are
numerous colored vegetables that sell for premium prices, like
purple asparagus, but don't have different tastes. Another thing
that was mentioned recently is striped and multicolored egg
plants that are very pretty but don't look much different after
cooking.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

In article <[email protected]>, koko says...

> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
> http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
>
> From the web site
> "The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
> cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
> orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
> beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
> than white cauliflower."
> http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html
>
> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.
>
> koko
> ---

Excess vitamin A has been linked to higher risk for osteoporosis.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2002_April/ai_84211180

Why do you need more?

--
Peter Aitken

"James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Peter wrote on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:07:53 GMT:
>

> P> <koko> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> ??>>
> ??>> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin
> ??>> content. http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
> ??>>
> ??>> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.
> ??>>
> ??>> koko
>
> Colored cauliflower looks pretty. There is both orange and purple and they
> make for interesting-looking dishes and dips when both are mixed with
> regular. However, to me it's like colored spaghetti: it looks much
> prettier before cooking and has no taste advantages (or any detectible
> difference!) There are numerous colored vegetables that sell for premium
> prices, like purple asparagus, but don't have different tastes. Another
> thing that was mentioned recently is striped and multicolored egg plants
> that are very pretty but don't look much different after cooking.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Mmm, yes-my lovely striped eggplant wasn't nearly as pretty after grilling!
Still tasted good, but looked pretty drab.

Lynne A
[email protected]

You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Peter A wrote:

> Excess vitamin A has been linked to higher risk for osteoporosis.
>
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2002_April/ai_84211180
>
> Why do you need more?

The cauliflower has beta-carotene, not vitamin A.
Beta-carotene can be converted into vitamin A by
the human body, but this conversion won't happen
if the supply of vitamin A is already sufficient.
That's why although you can be poisoned by excess
vitamin A, you cannot be poisoned by excess
beta-carotene. However, there are cases of people
who acquire a yellowish skin coloration by
consuming excess beta-carotene. This happened to
the sister of a friend of mine, who was just nuts
about drinking lots of carrot juice. It is a
harmless condition, and I think it's reversible
if you stop.

In article <[email protected]>, koko wrote:

> Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
> http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
>
> From the web site
> "The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
> cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
> orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
> beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
> than white cauliflower."
> http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html
>
> It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.

That's really pretty.

I've had purple cauliflower; apart from being lavender in colour it was
exactly the same as the white.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

In article <[email protected]>,
Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, koko wrote:
>
> > Had to get this. It is supposed to have a higher vitamin content.
> > http://i22.tinypic.com/10r72ix.jpg
> >
> > From the web site
> > "The florets of the new cauliflower look like those of its white
> > cousin, but are orange. More importantly, the vitamin content of
> > orange cauliflower is higher because it contains 320 micrograms of
> > beta-carotene per 100 grams, or approximately 25 times more vitamin A
> > than white cauliflower."
> > http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/2004/040412caulif.html
> >
> > It tastes like a regular cauliflower to me.

> That's really pretty.
>
> I've had purple cauliflower; apart from being lavender in colour it was
> exactly the same as the white.
>
> Miche

That would be pretty in a salad!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Kate Connally wrote:
> You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
>
> Kate

Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care about the colour
of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the way, is the key thing in Vitamin A
which is in also in carrots, hence, orange). Cauliflower is tasty!

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>>You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
>>
>>Kate

> Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care about the colour
> of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the way, is the key thing in Vitamin A
> which is in also in carrots, hence, orange). Cauliflower is tasty!
>
> Jill

Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
failings.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”
mailto:[email protected]

Kate wrote on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:36:52 -0400:

??>> Kate Connally wrote:
??>>
??>>> You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
??>>>
??>>> Kate
??>>
??>> Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care
??>> about the colour of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the
??>> way, is the key thing in Vitamin A which is in also in
??>> carrots, hence, orange). Cauliflower is tasty!
??>>
??>> Jill

KC> Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
KC> you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
KC> even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
KC> and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
KC> taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
KC> failings.

What, if any, vegetables do you like? :) I'll go along with you
on broccoli tho' I don't mind the stems and hence broccolini
isn't bad.

James Silverton wrote:

> Kate wrote on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:36:52 -0400:
>
> ??>> Kate Connally wrote:
> ??>>
> ??>>> You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
> ??>>>
> ??>>> Kate
> ??>>
> ??>> Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care
> ??>> about the colour of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the
> ??>> way, is the key thing in Vitamin A which is in also in
> ??>> carrots, hence, orange). Cauliflower is tasty!
> ??>>
> ??>> Jill
>
> KC> Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
> KC> you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
> KC> even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
> KC> and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
> KC> taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
> KC> failings.
>
> What, if any, vegetables do you like? :)

I like:
corn
green peas
tomatoes
lima beans
green beans
lettuce (iceberg and romaine)
zucchini
yellow squash
eggplant
butternut squash
carrots (raw only)
celery (raw only)
onion
scallions
shallots
radish
cucumber
daikon
potato
sweet potato
plantain
chiles (except very hot ones)
bell peppers
tomatillos
cabbage
napa cabbage
artichoke (dip only)
collard greens
spinach
water chestnuts
bok choy
kale
snow peas
sugar snap peas
black-eyed peas

Well, you asked! ;-)

Kate

--

Kate wrote on Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:16:26 -0400:

??>> Kate wrote on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:36:52 -0400:
??>>
??>>>> Kate Connally wrote:
??>>>>
??>>>>> You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
??>>>>>
??>>>>> Kate
??>>>>
??>>>> Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't
??>>>> care about the colour of it or beta-kerotene (which, by
??>>>> the way, is the key thing in Vitamin A which is in also
??>>>> in carrots, hence, orange). Cauliflower is tasty!
??>>>>
??>>>> Jill
??>>
KC>>> Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
KC>>> you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
KC>>> even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
KC>>> and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
KC>>> taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
KC>>> failings.
??>>
??>> What, if any, vegetables do you like? :)

KC> I like:
KC> corn
KC> green peas
KC> tomatoes
KC> lima beans
KC> green beans
KC> lettuce (iceberg and romaine)
KC> zucchini
KC> yellow squash
KC> eggplant
KC> butternut squash
KC> carrots (raw only)
KC> celery (raw only)
KC> onion
KC> scallions
KC> shallots
KC> radish
KC> cucumber
KC> daikon
KC> potato
KC> sweet potato
KC> plantain
KC> chiles (except very hot ones)
KC> bell peppers
KC> tomatillos
KC> cabbage
KC> napa cabbage
KC> artichoke (dip only)
KC> collard greens
KC> spinach
KC> water chestnuts
KC> bok choy
KC> kale
KC> snow peas
KC> sugar snap peas
KC> black-eyed peas

KC> Well, you asked! ;-)

Guess I had that coming! I'd go along with you apart from
collard greens and plantains Tomatillos are only a chilli
ingredient and daikon has texture but no taste that I can
detect!

Kate Connally wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>>> You mean the plain white one's not bad enough? ;-)
>>>
>>> Kate

>> Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care about the
>> colour of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the way, is the key thing
>> in Vitamin A which is in also in carrots, hence, orange).
>> Cauliflower is tasty!
>>
>> Jill

> Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
> you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
> even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
> and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
> taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
> failings.
>
> Kate

Hey, you like what you like. I'm very picky about my veggies - can't stand
anything raw! So how can I not forgive you? I love your corn chowder and
will be making some for my brother next week when he's home from the
hospital.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>>Oh no! Don't tell me you hate cauliflower?! I don't care about the
>>>colour of it or beta-kerotene (which, by the way, is the key thing
>>>in Vitamin A which is in also in carrots, hence, orange).
>>>Cauliflower is tasty!
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Sorry, Jill. I know I'll be a sore disappointment to
>>you, but, yes, I do indeed hate cauliflower, perhaps
>>even more so than beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts,
>>and asparagus. What can I say? I must have defective
>>taste buds. I just hope you can forgive me for my
>>failings.
>>
>>Kate

> Hey, you like what you like. I'm very picky about my veggies - can't stand
> anything raw! So how can I not forgive you? I love your corn chowder and
> will be making some for my brother next week when he's home from the
> hospital.

Now you've got me hungry for it. I haven't made it
for a while. Maybe next month after I get back from
vacation. Enjoy your visit with your brother. My
sister and I are going on vacation together. Always
fun.

Kate